Camp food ideas?

Not sure where you're coming from, but elk are in a high and dry environment. Most people are not in shape to wander the mountains all day long, nor the dry air. You will need lots of liquids and carbs. Stews and soups with plenty of potatos or pasta will perk you up at the end of the day.

Don't forget the aspirin for those altitude headaches. Trail mix with plenty of M & Ms will keep you going during the day.

Take at least 1/2 again as much food as you think you will eat. Better to have too much, than not enough.

Not sure where or when you're hunting elk. But the two most stressed items on the list we give our elk hunters to bring are raingear and boot dryers. Even on dry days the brush is usually soaked in the mornings from dew and fog overnight. Unless of course it is cold enough for snow and frost.

So our group is headed to Wyoming soon to hunt elk. We are tent camping and plan to bring cooked meals to heat up. So far, we have thought of tacos, taco soup, chili, sloppy Joe's, spaghetti, cowboy stew, and hotdogs. We plan to cook most the meals, freeze them, and just reheat.

What other meal ideas have y'all done? Any good meals we can add?

Thanks,

DoubleG
Spaghetti w/ meat sauce and Chicken Rice-a-Roni are two easy ones I take. If using cast iron to warm in, line it w/ alum. foil to ease the cleanup. Nice, quite Honda generator w/ a crockpot works good too.

Looks like you have it covered. We use get milk in the cardboard containers and would put our soups, stews scrambled eggs & chilly in it, freeze it. If we had a spike camp all we needed was a pot, then pealed the cardboard off, heat and eat. Beacon flavored spam cut thin to go with scrambled eggs.

All the ideas sound like they are great, but on a simpler note, has anyone else ever tried the Mountain House freeze dried meals? They are good, nutritious and very quick and easy to prepare! ..and not that expensive.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the staple from the south, gumbo. Especially chicken and sausage gumbo with dark roux, although any meat or seafood gumbo will work. Can't beat a good hot gumbo on a cold night. This freezes well and is easy to heat up because of the liquid, and one could even add rice in the right proportion before freezing. Therefore, can just heat up and open a pack of crackers and you have a meal.

So our group is headed to Wyoming soon to hunt elk. We are tent camping and plan to bring cooked meals to heat up. So far, we have thought of tacos, taco soup, chili, sloppy Joe's, spaghetti, cowboy stew, and hotdogs. We plan to cook most the meals, freeze them, and just reheat.

Thanks,

DoubleG
15 bean soup with big hambone. Sustenance and humor
I ziploc bag and freeze flat. Thaws faster

Thanks,

DoubleG
Take way more food than you think you'll need. I would take; pea nut butter, ritz crackers, beef jerky, nuts, snickers bar, Cliff Bars, instant oat packets, apples, raw carrots, cheese, (I use the Kraft cheese stuff that comes in those little jars), raisins & prunes & dates, I always took hot links that were precooked so if in a hurry just eat 'em, Tang. To seriously hunt with out strikers & packers you can't let eating interfere with the hunting. Get up in the dark; wolf down something hot and go hunt. Bon Chance, eh?

Thanks,

DoubleG
Red beans and rice.. dried sausage!!

Remember the age old deer camp saying..If you gripe about the cooking..You cook next! Seems to keep 'Em quiet! One of my friends really likes to cook and is good at it!
I can do dishes like crazy! When you have hunted with the same 2 guys for over 30 years things just seem to work out?

Peanut butter and REAL, fried-hard bacon sandwiches will help you hump the mountains if you're not used to it. Not heavy, loaded with what you need. That and proper hydration.

I cook prime rib in a 14 inch GSI hard anodized Dutch oven. Also sour dough bread every day in a 12 inch iron Dutch oven. Our camp meals include my wife's lasagna, New York and rib steaks on a Weber charcoal barbeque, pork chops and gravy, pork tenderloin medallions in a lemon caper cream sauce, and Dutch oven baby back ribs.
You can cook anything in a Dutch oven. We have chile dogs one night, because our boys demand it. Otherwise, no weenies.
If you are needing an extra guy in camp I know a guy haha

Thanks,

DoubleG
As far as stew goes here's one everybody I've served liked. Just your normal onions potato's carrots celery mushrooms . Dump in a big can of mushroom soup and top with water. Depend how much you are making you can add more soup and water. Add any roast you want . Antelope is good. Elk deer bear whatever. Not pork. Make sure you have plenty of french rolls to dip in soup !
Man spaghetti :
Put everything you want in it. I won't list . Both freeze well.good luck and have fun !

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.