Calling Lions Works Again

orwapitihunter

Finally made it out to try and call a lion today. The weather hasn't been great, no snow to speak of. Anyways this young tom came in behind me. Not real sure why but I did the molasses head turn and caught him in my peripheral vision. As soon as I knew it was a cat I raised the rifle and turned enough to make the shot. I hit him head on lengthwise with the first shot at 15 yrds. He crumpled at the shot but righted himself and was up and running in about a second. The next shot at 40 yards hit him at 7 oclock at the base of the tail and he piled up again as he went out of sight. We found him about 15 yrds past that piled up for good. I usually use something a bit bigger but this trip I grabbed my daughters .243 pushing old school 75 gr Barnes X bullets.

Attachments

• IMG_1373.jpg
    IMG_1373.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 90
Casey,

This was my calling partners first trip for cougars. I tried to tell him about all the hours of sitting in the snow, slowly freezing to death, and seeing nothing. I don't think he has a true pic from this trip as he said to me that it seems pretty easy. "Roll out late (8:30am), grab a bite to eat, drive for an hour, walk 300 yrds, call for 12 min, shoot a cat, and go home". "How hard is it?" And on top of all that it was about 55 and sunny!

We can get 2 cat tags a year so I'll pick up another and we'll hit it again. If we have another come in I hope it comes by him. I reallllly want to go over to the east side of the state and call a cat in the desert. The place I have been applying for sheep tags went from 8 tags to 1 tag this year. I dont have the scoop as to why yet, but we saw a cat in there while scouting for my daughters sheep hunt 2 yrs ago. And several other folks we talked to had seen cats.

Ha! Ya, he is gonna be in for a rude awakening next time you take him out. That's pretty cool though. I made five sets for coyotes this week but didn't see anything. You're a lucky dog. I mean skilled skilled sorry.

I was plowing around the sheep forum a while back and saw your daughter's sheep hunt. It looked like a great trip. Going from 8 tags to 1, that's a pretty serious drop. Your speculation of the sheep herd dwindling and the cats being the problem sounds like a reasonable conclusion to me. You better get over there and take a few out!

Well I don't know what the deal is with the sheep for sure. I know the cats get blamed for a lot, and I know that the world isn't always that simple. I have been meaning to call the biologist over there and see what his take is on things. I also love hunting that country and we did see that cat come creeping up on a pile of rocks overlooking where about a dozen rams had been bedded about two hours before. So a cat hunt over there would be a good thing. I was wanting to make a trip to Idaho to try my hand at wolf hunting but as the winter wears on, and the $$ are thin, I would be happy just to make it that far to try and save a few mulies and sheep.

Good job Mike. When are we going? Did you make Keith pack it out? That dry spell you had, didn't last to long! Give me a call.

Thats awesome, I would be nervous as hell, I have called in and shot a lot of yotes here in the midwest, closest kill was 5 feet in front of me. But we do most are calling in the dark with out lights so it adds to the excitement. Congrats,

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.