Lion calling

It sounds like you have too many close encounters for not actually wanting to hunt them. Let me know how it goes, Bob! Take photos if you get it. :)

Yea , Casey
LOL, it seems that way doesn't it. If I try to hunt for one, I never see one.
One of us four will get a shot in him for sure. My Son and two Grandson's want a shot at it bad. LOL... It scared my oldest grandson, and he was the first one that told me something was growling and circleing his stand. He hopped on the ATV and took off up to my stand. We thought maybe a wild dog or something that time, until it happened to me. My Son and the little guy haven't encountered it yet.
I will take pictures when, or if, we get it, for sure...

It sounds like you have too many close encounters for not actually wanting to hunt them. Let me know how it goes, Bob! Take photos if you get it. :)

Hey Alpinehunter,
I spotted a cougar yesterday on the edge of a clear cut. It wasn't a big one, but i got a good look at it; since it was turned sideways looking straight at me, about 60 yards. I just got on my ATV and took off up the trail and there it was. He was gone before I could stop. :D Oh well, that's the way it goes sometimes.

Well SHOOT Bob! I haven't spotted one yet although I have been doing a lot of calling. Hopefully we will end up with one soon!

I have had some luck on lions u can't call them from very far need to know one's in the area. Snowshoe hare has worked best for me. Also stay on stand longer they come slow and quite be alert and don't move. Fawn distress can work too. 45 minutes to 1 hour is standard

I have had some luck on lions u can't call them from very far need to know one's in the area. Snowshoe hare has worked best for me. Also stay on stand longer they come slow and quite be alert and don't move. Fawn distress can work too. 45 minutes to 1 hour is standard

wyocaller,
Thanks for that info, ... I'll try that. I'm fixin to have a Lion hide, and maybe cook up some Lion stew when this is over. This cat has been screwing around in my area too long. It's hard to pattern anything lately, because I got some lease jumpers coming in on the property and using dogs. I believe they are hunting hogs and whatever they come across they chase.
I saw the dogs at a house near my lease, wearing radio collars. I have seen deer running across the property with their tongues hanging out, being chased by something. I waited, but hadn't seen what's chasing them yet. This has happened on more than one occasion. One of the hunters on the adjacent property told me there used to be three dogs like that.

Saw this post from earlier this year. I just returned back to the NW after 2 decades of living in Central America in Jaguar country.
I know a few things about a male cat and one is that he is very territorial, two is that he loves to copulate to the n'th degree and three he detests with a passion any other male who is in his territory chasin his *****.
So what we would do is find the territory of a big male by his tracks...and then try to call him in. We would use a gourd called a calabash that was hollow and dried...it looked like a small smooth pumpkin about the size of a soccer ball. On the top we would cut out a round hole about the size of a grapefruit. On the opposite side we drilled a small hole in the center and passed through 4 leather boot laces rubbed in pine rosin which were knotted on the outside of the gourd to hold in place.
One would hold the gourd curled up in left arm and then reach inside the gourd with right hand and gently start pulling on the rosined leather..the calabash would act like a drum and the sound emitted would be just like a guttural gruntish roar of the jaguar carrying the jungle. All big cats make similar sounds when telling females they are around and horny. When a resident male hears that sound in his territory he gets infuriated and starts calling back while coming in for the fight.
When I was a kid I logged in NW california and by woods boss told me that he had once made a 'lion caller' out of a bucket with cowhide and rosined sisal rope. The bucket was cut out so I was like a drum...the hide was soaked in water before lashed to the cut out bucket bottom. Same principal as the jaguar caller...he would call in lions for fun and also scare the s..it out of boyscouts camped out in the summer nights...
I am not sure if there are electronic calls that imitate this but I doubt they would have the carrying distance - resonance of the drum effect.
From my experience the mating call was much more effective than dying peccary calls etc as cats only respond to these when hungry and half they time they are not because they have 40 lbs of meat in their belly.

do what we did....find your cat's territory and then your stand...and go in one day and start choppin and draggin brush so you make a tall barrier U behind you that the critter cant get through..so the only way to get to you is from the front..then open up the underbrush in your field of fire....and then build yourself a stand about 8 ft high in the back of the U...and then bugger off for 2-3 weeks..and then come back and start calling!
cats dont look up too much so best to be high and also helps carry your scent away - not that cats smell that well but they do smell better than you think.

Yes I have called in Mtn. Lions; I like a critter call (song dog) it is higher pitched, and use a fawn ditress of any sort, if you are using electronics the one sound that works the best is a young male, the big toms are territorial, and wont stand for it, and dont believe they all sneak in for a meal, the last one I called in was shot 3 feet from the muzzle and it charged in, a good freind has also had this happen though most of time they will come slowly, the big toms have no fear, make sure you elevate yourself, standing, ladder, tall chair etc. dont sit on the ground.

Yes I have called in Mtn. Lions; I like a critter call (song dog) it is higher pitched, and use a fawn ditress of any sort, if you are using electronics the one sound that works the best is a young male, the big toms are territorial, and wont stand for it, and don't believe they all sneak in for a meal, the last one I called in was shot 3 feet from the muzzle and it charged in, a good freind has also had this happen though most of time they will come slowly, the big toms have no fear, make sure you elevate yourself, standing, ladder, tall chair etc. dont sit on the ground.

That gets the adrenalin going LOL, been there before done that.
A tree stand is good, or pop up blind, right? I got a good partner, my 17 yr Old Grandson Dillon. We watch each others back. Besides all that, you saw the picture of my new knife... didn't you? A get the cat off your back, knife.:)

Thanks for the info, Buck. I'll look for a call like that. I was hunting last week a couple times. My partner and I called in some yotes, but our set-up spots are getting smaller with all the foliage. I used my pop-up blind that time. More than one yote started yipping within 50 yards of us; it sounded like something else was fighting with them too. LOL we were pumped up for a shot, with both of us carrying shotguns. I stopped calling and wondered if I should stop calling altogether at that time. I started to use a squeaker call and a yote popped up from behind me about 20 yards away, just long enough to see him and they were gone.

My Grandson said, "Grandpa this is what I love about hunting. You never know whats coming in, or when." LOL

Thanks Buck. Like Bob I am gonna have to try those calls out too. Sounds like you guys are having a great time! Keep us posted if you get anymore lion success. Wyoming's lion season doesn't start up again until September.

Well Alpinehunter and Buck, I'm fixin to go tomorrow night and hunt some yotes , or pigs or cats,,, whatever shows up LOL. I broke my holt call, the one I give the locator call with, dang it! and aint too happy bout that either. Was trying to get a seed out of it. Now it sounds like a fog horn...Don't need it anyway.
My three partners and I are doing a set-up, and I'm bringing the camera on this hunt. So I'll let you'al know what happens.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.