Calling Mountain Lions

kraigwy

Any one ever try calling mountain lions?

What call would you use? I'm thinking a distressed fawn, but I don't know.

Got one hanging around the property, got a license so I'd figure I'd try calling with an electric call but don't know any thing about it.

I think any sort of distress call will work. I've had lions come in on me when calling for coyotes, granted I wasn't expecting them to do so! Even had an encounter while calling during spring turkey.
I'd suggest hunting with a partner so you can watch each other's back, or be VERY ALERT. Those guys are pretty sneaky. Typically cats will take longer to come in than a coyote. Give it at least twice the amount of time you would for calling dogs.

I would take a look at Rain-Shadow.com as he has quite a few stories, reviews and products dedicated to calling the big cats. I've talked with Steve several times and have one of his custom knives. He is a stand up guy who knows his stuff.

called a full size cougar in to 17 yards bowhunting elk this year using "Elk Calf" distress. there is a guy his website "rainshadow.com" that is an experienced cougar hunter and sells his custom calls. he recommends not using any challenging or aggressive type of call sounds. also he says to bury or hide the call. he says cats come in and if they think they see the source of the call they sit and wait for movement. he tells tales of cats digging around to find a hidden call. cats are so stealthy it is scary. also he said not to use any kind of decoy like a mojo critter. he recommends female calls, whistle like sounds. he has worked directly with cougar animal trainers to record his sounds and study their behavior. so far distress sounds have worked the best for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.