Helpful tips for a mountain lion!

ShanMan

Last year we saw a lot of exciting stuff on my wife's parents property. All of a sudden, 3 barn/house cats went missing and so did more than 30 chickens. So we set up a trap and caught a bob cat.

Two days later, I found the deer that I was waiting to hunt during deer season dead, half eaten. Typical mountain lion kill, so we were able to put a big cage in the same area about a week later with some hog guts in it. Well the trap worked, but the cat broke the door open...

I personally saw the mountain lion while bow hunting a few weeks later, and picked a great time to leave my side arm at home. Turns out we were both stalking the same deer, scared the crap out of me, and probably it, since we didn't recognize each other til about 10 feet away.

Got a call yesterday, and seems it is back and was wondering what would some good hunting techniques be? It is pretty dense land and hunting deer there I pretty much can only use my 30-30 due to the thick trees and brush. It took 3 chickens the other night and already 2 more cats. I could care less about the cats...BUT....any helpful tips? If I can figure out how I'll upload a picture of the bob cat and the mountain lion tracks I found around the area that I saw it.

The track is next to my foot, (size 12), and the other picture of the skull and antlers was the deer I was waiting to pursue until the cat decided it wanted it first.

Attachments

• IMG_1014.jpg
    IMG_1014.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1088.jpg
    IMG_1088.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1125.jpg
    IMG_1125.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 121
On dog tracks you can see their nails on all 4 pads, in that picture there are no nail or "claw" marks which aims toward mountain lion. We do have coyotes out here and find tracks pretty often but they are a lot smaller than these. I have also tracked and hunted coyotes in AZ a few years prior to moving out here so based off of my experience, plus having seen the cat, I aim toward it being a mountain lion that was just walking along. Good print impression from wet trails/roads.

Next chance I get I'll be out there trying to track it.

Set up a couple of game cameras to verify what you are hunting.

Then get or borrow an electronic call with a remote that will place your self well away from
the call, so the beast doesn't surprise you.

If it is a lion, they are very cautious and will spot you if you are using a mouth call.

As stated by another poster, Be carefull they do not like to be shot or stuck.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks, I have had my game camera set up but haven't had time to check it yet. I should be able to check it soon and will post pictures if there are any neat ones.

I'm with C.O. Shooter. Not saying that you don't have lions, but that track looks like a coyote to me. Yote tracks are somewhat longer than they are wide, like what I see in the picture. Also from the picture, to me, there appears to be nail marks on the leading middle two pad tracks.
Lion tracks will be more rounded and the plantar pad will be bilobed (m-shaped). Generally speaking, you're right when you say cat tracks will lack claw/nail marks.

Pull your panties up and go hunting. You are not going to kill the critter sitting in front of the computer.
Kirk

Yeah I know right. Haven't had a chance with work yet. It's 40 minutes just to get out there. Was just trying to compile some advice for when I get a day off.

Best bet is always hounds....

Heard if you take your least favorite noisy pet rooster for a walk and leash his leg on top of stump or where ever, away from what is left of the other chickens may get you a shot.gun)

Either way will be good times, make for a good story and some breakfast sausage. Good luck.

And yes that's a cat track. Round and top of the back pad is square where a dog track and pad are more of a pyramid shape.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts