Caliber selection

Thanks Buffalobob for the kind words. Up till I started visiting this sight I was planning a 308 build (just so darn cheap to shoot). I have always wanted a 300 wsm, just thought it was to much for practicing with. After hearing the advice here and how so many were suggesting a 338 of some type the 300 wsm didn't sound so bad after all. I know that 1000 yard elk hunting is out with this cal, but I sure can practice on paper that far, and I wont be long distance elk hunting without a whole lot of practice. I feel a lot better elk hunting with a 300wsm than with a 308. I do plan on shaping the stock to my grip but I want to shoot it for a while first. I don't like that the stock has a monte carlo shape cheek rest. I don't know how I am going to get a good fit with it, all stocks seem to be to low for my natural hold.

I've taken a lot of Elk with a .300 Win Mag, never past 500 yards. The 400+ yarders usually take a few shots to kill, but never seem to go more than 20 yards. I'd say for one go-to rifle, buy one that you can find ammo for in case you leave yours at home and need to stop into a mom n pop store to buy a box. Next season I plan on bringing the .270-300 Win Mag and the .338 Edge so I've got a choice. Elk are hard to kill no matter what, I've only killed a few that dropped without taking a step. It takes a strong lung shot if you aren't shooting spines no matter what the chambering!

Congrats on the rifle! You better show some pics of the gun and it's groups! Are you set up to reload for it yet? If you ever get another barrel and want to get rid of the WSM I might consider it if you drop me a pm.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.