Caliber questions

Can I buy a factory 260 and machine the barrel to an ai or do I need to rebarrel it. Would factory action still work.
Buy the 260 and shoot it for a bit to make sure the barrel is worth Ackleyizing. Then have a smith ream it. If it won't shoot as a straight 260 I wouldn't waste the $$$ reaming it to a 260 AI.

It is a better case design......BUT.......it will legitimately give you about 18 ft more range than the AI. Ackleyizing a cartridge was a cool deal back in the day because most of the stuff available had a ton of taper and a shallow shoulder. The 260 will not improve like a 280 will.
Also, the real advantage of the 6.5 stuff isn't the launch velocity, it's the BC of the bullet. An AI would be cool, it's easy on brass, but its not going to be a whole nother level of performance by any means.
A deer or target at 746 yds won't know whether the 140 VLD that just smashed it was launched at Creed or 260 or 26 Nosler speeds.
Run the #s, the BC is what does the work in a 6.5 based rig, not the launch horsepower.

Actually, the .260 AI shows realistic gains of 125 fps MV gain over a standard .260 Rem, and around 175 fps MV gain over a 6.5x47 Lapua when using the same bullets, powder, and barrel length. These numbers are from Travis @ RBros rifles when he did a head-to-head test of the SA 6.5's.

Here's a link to where he posted them... Post #3...

Which 6.5 , so many choices?

Ok please be patient with me, this may seem weird to long range guru's.

It's time for a new gun, I'm interested in several different calibers. I want at least a 500 yard shooter , but I have a bad shoulder so I can't handle mega kick.

So here's what I'm considering , the nosler 26 (what cartridge is that made from ) a 260, 264 win mag , 257 weatherby mag .

I roll my own rounds , so I don't worry about availability of ammo. What I need to know is which is most powerful in order starting with I guess the 26 nosler on down.

Which is flatter shooting and maybe which has most variety of different bullets grains. If you can add any more valuable info please enlighten me. Thanks so much , and Merry Christmas.
If you have a bad shoulder making you recoil sensitive you definitely need to stay away from the 26 Nosler. Even the .264 (which I love) is probably going to have more recoil than you will be comfortable with unless you plan on adding a quality muzzle brake or suppressor.

I was pretty hooked on the idea of the 26 Nosler myself but I like to shoot and shoot a lot and barrel life with them is very short.

What is your intended use for the rifle? Targets? Deer? Moose? Varmints/Predators?

Thanks guys. I forgot to say my local range only goes out to 500 yards. I'm thinking of doing target shooting maybe plates and some paper down the road. Also would try some hunting, but I have hunting rifles.

Wouldn't a bull barrel and a wood stock absorb a lot of recoil ? I like the looks of that Remington, but than that opens up a whole pile of other questions.
I have two .260 Rem bolt rifles and one AR260 as well.

This year I bought both a Gen 2 5R Rem 700 and Ruger Hawkeye FTW edition both in .260.

Both are ridiculously accurate rifles that perform well above their price points with a variety of ammo.

The Ruger is a good bit lighter than the Remington so it gets the lean if you are going to be carrying it in the woods all day but the Remington so far seems to be at least slightly more accurate with a broader variety of factory ammo. Both shoot sub MOA with everything I've fed them so far so the difference is very slight. Both are capable of .25-.5 MOA with the right load even with me doing the shooting and that says a whole lot.

The Remington beats the Ruger for the "cool factor" just on looks as it has a really unique fluting I've never seen before and the Ruger isn't fluted at all, just a nice matte stainless sandblasted finish on a lighter barrel than the Remington.

I would buy another of each of them anytime without hesitation and if I didn't already have more .300wm's than I can keep up with I'd probably buy one of each of them in the Winny.

Actually, the .260 AI shows realistic gains of 125 fps MV gain over a standard .260 Rem, and around 175 fps MV gain over a 6.5x47 Lapua when using the same bullets, powder, and barrel length. These numbers are from Travis @ RBros rifles when he did a head-to-head test of the SA 6.5's.

Here's a link to where he posted them... Post #3...

Which 6.5 , so many choices?
That is the commonly accepted AI advantage with most modern designs. The OP seemed to think it will totally transform the cartridge, which it won't. It does on a 06 or H&H based rig, not so much a 308.

That is the commonly accepted AI advantage with most modern designs. The OP seemed to think it will totally transform the cartridge, which it won't. It does on a 06 or H&H based rig, not so much a 308.

.308 AI and 7mm-08 seem to also show a distinct velocity increase as well, according to Kenny Jarrett. The Jarretts really love the 7mm-08 Imp. 40º as one of their personal favorites.

True, it does not transform it into a whole new cartridge, like the OP was thinking, but it does "improve" :D the cartridge over the parent case, of around 100+ fps MV increase... Which, IMO, for the slightly higher cost of reloading dies, is well-worth the improvement.

I will say, I do not like the .30-06 Sprg, but I love my .30-06 AI 40º...If I punch it even further into a .300 Sherman (which I am thinking about strongly), it would be almost pointless for me to own a .300 WinMag. Also, loving my .25-06 AI 40º and my .300 Ackley Magnum. Big improvements for all 3 over the SAAMI parent cartridges.

Man you guys are awesome so much info. I'm going 260 an make a Ackley. I like what im hearing about the Remington 5r.

I forgot to mention I have a 7 mms 08. First time I shot my reloads I went to hot and I thought my shoulder fell off.

Someone here on this site recommended that I fill the stock with the steel balls from computer mouses. It definitely made it feel more solid and sturdy, but I haven't shot it yet. If it works in conjunction with lighter loads I can use it on future guns.

Man you guys are awesome so much info. I'm going 260 an make a Ackley. I like what im hearing about the Remington 5r.

I forgot to mention I have a 7 mms 08. First time I shot my reloads I went to hot and I thought my shoulder fell off.

Someone here on this site recommended that I fill the stock with the steel balls from computer mouses. It definitely made it feel more solid and sturdy, but I haven't shot it yet. If it works in conjunction with lighter loads I can use it on future guns.
Mice have steel balls? How do they breed?:)

It's very, very loud. Picture a game of pool and the sound of the break and a bunch of squeaking. I can't get any sleep.

I forgot to mention I have a 7 mms 08. First time I shot my reloads I went to hot and I thought my shoulder fell off..

Your 7mm-08 will do what you are asking. However, if you think it kicks you have a few options: muzzle brake, add weight, load down, step down to a .243...or a combo of any/all.

I know I'm chiming in late here but don't let the recoil of the 26 nosler scare you. Put a good break on it and don't look back. I have a 27 Nosler, shooting our 168's and the felt recoil is that of a 243..

I have a lot of magnum cartridges I love simply because they don't kick, I have all Painkiller Muzzle Breaks.

Just my 2 cents

Brian

Yeah I know my 7mms 08 will do what I want, but I jus want a new gun. You can never have enough right.

I know I'm chiming in late here but don't let the recoil of the 26 nosler scare you. Put a good break on it and don't look back. I have a 27 Nosler, shooting our 168's and the felt recoil is that of a 243..

I have a lot of magnum cartridges I love simply because they don't kick, I have all Painkiller Muzzle Breaks.

Just my 2 cents

Brian
Hold on a second. They make guns without muzzle brakes? I bought a 223 without one ONCE. Cost me $150 and a week to add one. My 300 Blackout has one and my 14lb AR-10 Creed is fixing to get one. I guess I'm a wimp.

Just my 2 cents

Brian
I would guess your bullets also decrease recoil quite a bit over the usual heavy VLD loads many shoot. Is that an accurate assumption?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts