Caliber for medium range Elk

If moderate recoil (without a brake) is your REAL criteria, the first three (or something equivalent) seems to be your only option. But M0DERATE recoil is subjective, depending on the shooter. If you use well constructed bullets the lighter calibers will work just fine, from my experience.
I just had a 28 Nosler put together for that very purpose, but it has a break.

OK, here is the scenario.....you are a medium range 0-600 yd elk hunter. You are looking for a rifle with moderate(light as possible without a brake) recoil, under 10lbs with scope and on a model 70 action.....

the real question is what caliber? 284 Win, 280 AI, 30-06(AI or regular).....or jump to the magnum bolt face and 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Wthby, etc..

thoughts?

Merry Christmas!
338/06

OK, here is the scenario.....you are a medium range 0-600 yd elk hunter. You are looking for a rifle with moderate(light as possible without a brake) recoil, under 10lbs with scope and on a model 70 action.....

the real question is what caliber? 284 Win, 280 AI, 30-06(AI or regular).....or jump to the magnum bolt face and 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Wthby, etc..

thoughts?

Merry Christmas!

The real question is "what do you currently have?" The .300WM remains "my" go-to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards. Load it with 215 Berger and you're golden.

As many of us on here I have many rifles and I have became very fond of my 35 Whelen and yes it shoots a lot flatter then most people think, very close to the 30-06 but with a heaver bullet with recoil very mild, I would prefer to stay around 500 yards. Out to 600 the 30-06, 270, 280 and 308 would all work and to me the recoil is about the same. My 270wsm, 300 win. mag. and 338 win. mag. have only a little more recoil and I do not have muzzle brakes on any rifle. The 7mm rem. mag has never been appealing to me, it is a good cartridge I just prefer others, and the ones I have shoot seam to recoil the same as my 300 win. mag. My uncle has a Remington 700 bdl 7mm rem. mag. and he hates it because of the recoil, says it is worse than his ruger 77 338 Win. mag.
Vol1975 said it well.
We have lots of caliber/cartridges to chose from that will work well. Pick one in a rifle that feels very good to you, pick a good bullet, and most important learn to shoot it well and you will be just fine.

Cant stand that. People thinking the 300 is so hard on the shoulder. You dont need a 215 grain bullet in it loaded to the max. Throw a 175 grain pill in there going around 2900 with a muzzle break on it. Kicks less than my ak. Stop being a bunch of

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it's worth I have a 30-06 and just fiddling with "acceptable" numbers I wish I had gone with 300 wsm or win mag. I'm getting 2768 ft/sec from a 180 gr bullet from my M70's EW. I'm not quite a believer in Berger yet and I haven't tried nosler accubond LR's yet but either of those in 190 gr easily get to 500 with a little over 2000 ft/sec retained velocity. I'm hoping the Sierra 180 TGK comes out sooner than later personally.

thoughts?

Merry Christmas!
300 weatherby of course!

I would that 90+ percent of hunters can't hit an elk at 600 yards, but if you are going to try, be a sportsman gets caliber that will kill at that distance. 300 am or my preference 300 wby. You won't like the recoil of these bullets so put a good brake on your gun.

I would that 90+ percent of hunters can't hit an elk at 600 yards, but if you are going to try, be a sportsman gets caliber that will kill at that distance. 300 am or my preference 300 wby. You won't like the recoil of these bullets so put a good brake on your gun.
What recoil ? There's no recoil on Weatherby!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts