Caliber combination for prairie dog hunting?

I like Hornady ELDM, they may not blow up like some of the lighter bullets but I like shooting longer distances. I also shoot a 1:8 twist and the ELDMs run great. I agree about taking more guns, I will bring my bolt gun as well and use the hunt to practice my PRS shooting skills.

I have never been prairie dog hunting, but am looking to start doing it in 2025. I have my first build almost done, which is an AR15 in 223 with a 1:8 twist 24" WOA varmint barrel. I am hoping to shoot the 53g V-max with this upper. Everything I read on the topic says to take several guns/calibers along. It would be convenient to have the other caliber(s) be AR compatible so I can just swap uppers. Realistically, how many guns do I need to take? I assume I want a gun for close range, medium range, and long range. Where does my 223 fall in line and what cartridges do you recommend for the other ranges? I plan to reload for this on a progressive. Am I missing anything else important?
Thank you in advance for the insight.

I have never been prairie dog hunting, but am looking to start doing it in 2025. I have my first build almost done, which is an AR15 in 223 with a 1:8 twist 24" WOA varmint barrel. I am hoping to shoot the 53g V-max with this upper. Everything I read on the topic says to take several guns/calibers along. It would be convenient to have the other caliber(s) be AR compatible so I can just swap uppers. Realistically, how many guns do I need to take? I assume I want a gun for close range, medium range, and long range. Where does my 223 fall in line and what cartridges do you recommend for the other ranges? I plan to reload for this on a progressive. Am I missing anything else important?
Thank you in advance for the insight.
I currently have multiple .223 platforms all set up with HV 26" barrels all of which are set up with 1/8 twist. for these rifles I have reloaded and been shooting the Hornady 53gr V-max with excellent results. My last varmint platform is set up with a .204 Ruger 26" HV which has a 1/10 twist. I'm hand loading a 40gr Hornady V-Max behind a charge of H335 with stellar results. (Think pink mist). From here on out, I will at the very least replace one 26" HV barrel in .204 Ruger. :cool:

I like the idea of the 20 practical. Easy to make brass from 223, but I worry it'd get confusing keeping track of what brass is which as I already have a 223.
I solved that problem by purchasing Nickle plated .204 Ruger brass. Yes, it's not 20 Practical, but it sure makes it easy when all my brass is combined (.223 and .204 Ruger) to sort for reloading! :cool:

I solved that problem by purchasing Nickle plated .204 Ruger brass. Yes, it's not 20 Practical, but it sure makes it easy when all my brass is combined (.223 and .204 Ruger) to sort for reloading! :cool:
When I head out with both 20P and 223 I keep the bolt for each rifle with it's ammo.