• .22-250

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .243 Win

• 6.5 Creedmoor

• Total voters
I use 22LR.17HMR ,20 Practical,221 Fireball,223,6CM
After my experience I would 100% agree with 20 practical if you can load enough of it. Fast twist with 50+ grain bullets would be ideal in the wind. Also, Horus reticles will make wind/holdover calls 1000% better.

Back in the day we use to shot ground squirrels. Nothing was fair under 200yds. Generally liked 300 to 400yds with 220 swifts. 55gr @ 3900fps with 20 power scopes. 22's or 17 out to 150 yds would seem to be fair. 1. it's sharpens the eye's and you learn to make your shots count. 2. trigger control, and hold. That over the years probable help me to do better at making mostly one shot kills with larger animals. Pdogs are fairly large, and more like 300 to 600 yards would seem fair to me. I would look at 243AI, 6mmAI, 25/06 and other caliber in that range. That one of the reasons I am having a 6mm/280AI being built. I am looking at 500 to 700 yds shots. People are probable thinking what's wrong with me. It's a test of skills to me, and make me a better shot.

Alright guys, I have a trip coming up at the end of June and having some dilemma on which rifles to take with me. Thought it would be fun to start a poll, see what your guys' favorite calibers are for prairie dogs. I've limited the poll to the calibers I have rifles chambered in and have ample ammo for. Let me know your thoughts! I have a feeling I know what the winner will be!
Can't take 1. Need 3 or 4. Definitely a 22/250 or 220 swift.
223 for shorter ranges but out to 500 yards. Easy on barrels, cheap to shoot, at least it used to be.
204 out to 400-600 yards Low heat, lots of shooting. a Laser out to 400
243 for long range and wind with 58 gr V-max or 55 Noslers if they work for you.

Alright guys, I have a trip coming up at the end of June and having some dilemma on which rifles to take with me. Thought it would be fun to start a poll, see what your guys' favorite calibers are for prairie dogs. I've limited the poll to the calibers I have rifles chambered in and have ample ammo for. Let me know your thoughts! I have a feeling I know what the winner will be!
Two rifles? 22/250 or 220 Swift (my choice) out to 800 yards and a 204... is a laser out to 400 and as effective but not as spectacular as a hot 22 at 500-600. Once in a life or very rare trip make it count. If I could bring unlimited guns I'd have a 17 HMR for ***** & giggles but definitely a 243 with 58 gr Vmaxes or 55 Noslers if they shoot for you. And a 223 AR.. if you ever chased PDs with an AR that's a hoot.

Back in the day we use to shot ground squirrels. Nothing was fair under 200yds. Generally liked 300 to 400yds with 220 swifts. 55gr @ 3900fps with 20 power scopes. 22's or 17 out to 150 yds would seem to be fair. 1. it's sharpens the eye's and you learn to make your shots count. 2. trigger control, and hold. That over the years probable help me to do better at making mostly one shot kills with larger animals. Pdogs are fairly large, and more like 300 to 600 yards would seem fair to me. I would look at 243AI, 6mmAI, 25/06 and other caliber in that range. That one of the reasons I am having a 6mm/280AI being built. I am looking at 500 to 700 yds shots. People are probable thinking what's wrong with me. It's a test of skills to me, and make me a better shot.
I agree, I really don't like to take shots under 300 yards with the hotter calibers. 250 or less for 17 HMR. I'll use my 223 Contender on anything cuz that's a challenge. UI prefer to shoot over 400 yards. And I shoot at little PDs the size of ground squirrels, in AZ.

Lol, they are ALL fair game from underfoot to ???????
They are like roaches, you can put a big dent in them shooting them but there will be some left.
If I ever deem one "to close" I may need professional help.
It seems that about every reasonable caliber has been covered. Those shooting the CM and 308 family of cartridges, how heavy are your rifles?
Curious if they are heavy enough to see your impacts or not. I like weight to soak up some recoil as well.

223 though a 13 lbs 24" heavy barrel AR-15. I don't get shots longer than 350.
My AR is close to that, I have an idea to add more with a bag rider.
My lite PD rig weighs 27 lbs and change, the heavy is right at 40 lbs. No, I don't carry them far. I can see all of my impacts for the most part.

If you are set up right you watch ground squirrels come apart in your scope. I use 55gr SBT Sierra and watch the squirrel fly apart. They wouldn't craw off either. The interesting thing about ground squirrels is they will eat there buddies. It was great fun while the farm land lasted. Now it's under houses or city limits that you can't shoot anymore.

I really like the 20 gr 17 win super mag out to 200-250 yards. After that, I go to my 22-250 loaded with 52 gr Berger fbhp over 36 gr 4166 Enduron @ 3900 fps. Have taken groundhogs out to 600 yds here in Ohio. I would imagine it would vaporize a prairie dog!!