• .22-250

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .243 Win

• 6.5 Creedmoor

• Total voters

psdan000

Alright guys, I have a trip coming up at the end of June and having some dilemma on which rifles to take with me. Thought it would be fun to start a poll, see what your guys' favorite calibers are for prairie dogs. I've limited the poll to the calibers I have rifles chambered in and have ample ammo for. Let me know your thoughts! I have a feeling I know what the winner will be!

Alright guys, I have a trip coming up at the end of June and having some dilemma on which rifles to take with me. Thought it would be fun to start a poll, see what your guys' favorite calibers are for prairie dogs. I've limited the poll to the calibers I have rifles chambered in and have ample ammo for. Let me know your thoughts! I have a feeling I know what the winner will be!
"If" your goal is to have a poll count, it is not working.

Out to 150 yards: 17 HMR
150-300 yards: 204 or 223
300-500 yards: 22-250
500+: 243 or 6.5 Creedmoor

17 HMR is usually our truck gun when driving between or through prairie dog towns.

Centerfires provide so much more "splat" factor and for economics it's tough to beat the 204 or 223 but the 22-250 gives more consistent acrobatics in my experience, especially over 400 yards.

For the long shots it's worth it to take a 6mm or larger. My personal best was 1404 yards with my 6 Creedmoor.

I use multiple rifles so I can keep barrels a little cooler for prairie rats. My choices are 204,22-250,223,222, and maybe a 6 Creedmoor

With 2 rifles, I'd take the 17hmr and either the 22-250 or 243, depending on which one you enjoy shooting more, and have more or more easily attainable ammo.

That 17hmr should drop about 9" at 200y, (that's what mine does, 20" barrel 17gr hornady ammo), which makes it wonderful for 200y or less, and then you can crank them out there with your long gun. I'd probably move optics around to suit that purpose too.