Caliber choices

Most people think in terms of what game they might pursue versus what they most often actually hunt and select a caliber based on that thought. In the long run they most often over caliber, realize it and eventually use less or sell that particular rifle. My vote would would be select a caliber for which game you will hunt the most.

After doing some research i have decided to purchase a Cooper rifle. At the moment I am looking at a few different models. Depending on the caliber I choose depends on which model i get. My caliber choices are;300 win, 30 nosler,300 rum( low on the list),340 weatherby(very low on the list), 300 prc,7 win mag 338win or 33 nosler. The rifle will be primarly used for whitetail but will also be used for elk or moose if i ever get a chance to hunt them. What caliber would yall choose. If it helps i already have a 300 win that i might be looking at selling.

300 Win or 30 Nosler if cost isn't a problem. (Brass and such aren't cheap) RUMs are past the point of diminishing returns. Too much more powder just to save a few inches of drop. Get the **** surgery instead. You'll be happier.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are using it strictly for hunting than any of the calipers you chose would get it done. If you are going to "play " with the gun such as plinking long distance targets and steel. You might consider staying on the "friendlier side" with the 7mm.
Good luck.....the answers will be endless!

After doing some research i have decided to purchase a Cooper rifle. At the moment I am looking at a few different models. Depending on the caliber I choose depends on which model i get. My caliber choices are;300 win, 30 nosler,300 rum( low on the list),340 weatherby(very low on the list), 300 prc,7 win mag 338win or 33 nosler. The rifle will be primarly used for whitetail but will also be used for elk or moose if i ever get a chance to hunt them. What caliber would yall choose. If it helps i already have a 300 win that i might be looking at selling.
30-06 spr.

I have 3 coopers. .300 wm, .280AI, 6.5x.284. All are so very accurate with a variety of bullets. You will not go wrong with the .300wm.

If it's primarily a whitetail gun, I would seriously evaluate how soon and how often you would really use it for elk and moose. I believe your mentioned choices to be more that necessary for WT. That being said, in my opinion there are several rounds in .284 that aren't on your list that I would also give a good deal of consideration to. You didn't mention if loading, cost, retail availability, etc were factors which should play a big role in the decision process.

In my opinion the 300WIN is the best choice of the lot in your situation. Reloading componants and ammo availablity will be plentyful anywhere in the world. Besides that if you learn to shoot that caliber especially when engaing targets or game in the wind, you will have a huge advantage over another caliber that will be new to you at this stage. Reading the wind is the ultimate challenge and biggest variable. I am sure you will make the right choice!

I do reload so that isnt a problem. As far as recoil it doesnt bother me. I have fun plinking with my 45-70. As far as range limitations i would feel comfortable at 500.
Since you reload, you might want to take a look at the 30-338 Mag. The 338 Win Mag necked down to 30 caliber was one of P. O. Ackley's favorite, providing great performance at excellent efficiency. It can do anything the 300 WinMag can do without the overly long case and the short neck. It's a reloader's dream and, truthfully, many have pondered why Winchester didn't use their 338 Win Mag case for a 300 mag in the first place. With today's powders, performance will even be better!!!

My wife loves her .338 WM, it's her "only" hunting rifle....and with proper shooting conditions feels comfortable to 500 yards. As in my previous post....she's used it from approximately 35 yards to 400 yards (measured after the shot), on game ranging from, deer/antelope, elk, moose, and bear. Almost all have been one shot kills. memtb

For the game that you primarily are hunting and the distances that you've planned to shoot I believe that the 7mm RemMag or the 300 WinMag ought to serve you quite well. The "new" designer cartridges/calibers come at a high cost when you start buying brass and their availability is not always there. For me these are two important factors when choosing a rifle caliber. The 300 PRC and.340 Weatherby for Federal brass are running $50 for 25 rounds and 30 Nosler brass is $73 for 30 pieces of brass. I've always liked the 7mm RemMag for accuracy and knock down, but would choose the 300 WinMag as one go-to round if I were going to cconsider the rifle for elk and moose also. I would not care to hunt white tail with anything above 30 caliber, 338 WinMag, 340 Weatherby, 33 Nosler seem to be more gun than needed.

If you, like many others reading here, would like something different in the arsenal (of unique wants), the 338-06 ought to fit in quite well to hunt "all" of the game that mentioned that you want to hunt. Not over gunned for whitetails not under-gunned for moose or elk; pretty universal cartridge. The round has good penetration, good ballistics, and it will not dislocate your shoulder every time you squeeze off a round. You will have the cost and availability factors for the brass, however it is not too difficult to make your own brass. My .02C worth for you.

Last edited:
Couple of questions, if you're not shooting elr, and you might only go hunting for elk or moose on occasion what's wrong with the 300 win you already have? Nothing against the idea of having a Cooper or more rifles, but if the 300 win is a good shooter instead of possibly buying another 300 win or one of the others, (no real advantage in your situation) why not customize or buy some really good glass? I mean anything on that list is going to be adequate or overkill for deer and even if you are very tolerant of recoil you're probably not going to spend a lot of time at the range with the big boomers. I handle recoil ok, but even with a brake bug muzzle blast sucks

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.