caliber choice

I have been researching the bloody **** out of this same basic question. I have a Savage 111 that used to be a 30-06. My max mag length as measured is about 3.349ish. I would have to look at my notes or get it out and re-measure again. What I am saying is MY savage standard long action does not leave much COAL room for me. For this reason I have mostly eliminated the 300WM or the 30-375, as either way the 208gr amax would need to be seated pretty far out. I prefer having a repeater, single shots don't really do it for me.

The 7mm RM has a SAAMI COAL of 3.290 Vs. the SAAMI COAL of a 300WM of 3.340. With the length of a 162gr Amax being 1.420 Vs. the length of a 208gr Amax being 1.525, the 7mm RM seems like the better over all choice. I have 24lbs of H1000 sitting here, and the 7mm dies. When I really begin to Measure, poke, prod, and LOOK HARD at the big picture, the 7mm RM begins to look Real Good to me. It can carry the FPS and Ft. Lbs. of energy out to 800ish with the 162 Amax pretty easiy, and it will REALLY feed well through the magazine. What it boils down to is how much FPS and LBS do you need, and at what range? Tie that to your action's COAL working max and there you have it. A compelling argument based on pure fact for the 7mm RM.

Now, I am not saying 7mm RM is Better than a 300WM!! I am only saying For ME, it makes better Over All Sense to go with the 7mm RM from the big picture over all view.

Your needs may be different than mine.

Good luck in your choices sir!
Gary
P.S. as of this post, my old 6.5x55 BJAI with 2600 rounds down range will be turned into a 7mm RM by years end :) Finally, choice made! Whew! Now to choose a barrel maker /sigh ....

*snip*Then of course you have to establish where your comfort level is with recoil because the bigger you go, the higher price you will pay there.

If you decide on the big 300's and 338's as likely candidates I'd strongly suggest finding someone who has one who would let you shoot it for a few rounds to see if you can tolerate it.

Recoil rarely matters in the field because you just don't notice it due to excitement, but when practicing/sighting in, it can play a big and painful factor.

I wouldn't say the 300 WM is THAT big and painful, at least not in this rifle. The muzzle brake on the Bear Hunter helps a little (not as much as it should), but even without it, my shoulder was only a little tender after 50 rounds or so. The shoulder pad is nice and squishy--I think that helps a lot. I'm not a big guy, nor am I playing the part of a MAN here, just an honest report. I almost prefer to shoot without the brake just because the blast is less--I think that makes me flinch more than the push on the shoulder!

The worst problem with the recoil is staying on target after the shot...I need to work on that. But get the 300 WM, if *I* got it, it most assuredly is the superior round. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say the 300 WM is THAT big and painful, at least not in this rifle. The muzzle brake on the Bear Hunter helps a little (not as much as it should), but even without it, my shoulder was only a little tender after 50 rounds or so. The shoulder pad is nice and squishy--I think that helps a lot. I'm not a big guy, nor am I playing the part of a MAN here, just an honest report. I almost prefer to shoot without the brake just because the blast is less--I think that makes me flinch more than the push on the shoulder!

The worst problem with the recoil is staying on target after the shot...I need to work on that. But get the 300 WM, if *I* got it, it most assuredly is the superior round. :rolleyes:
How one percieves and reacts to recoil is highly relative and varies from individal to individual.

If a guy buys a gun he's not going to be comfortable shooting based on advice he got here, he's going to have quite the chip on his shoulder.

All of the big magnums pack quite a wallop, so before suggesting someone go out and blow a couple of grand getting set up, I'm going to alway err on the side of caution and encourage them to find some way to take one for a test drive.

How one percieves and reacts to recoil is highly relative and varies from individal to individual.

If a guy buys a gun he's not going to be comfortable shooting based on advice he got here, he's going to have quite the chip on his shoulder.

All of the big magnums pack quite a wallop, so before suggesting someone go out and blow a couple of grand getting set up, I'm going to alway err on the side of caution and encourage them to find some way to take one for a test drive.

That is sound advice my friend!

Tank

+1

In other words...
If it's not fun to shoot, you'll practice less and your effective range will suffer.

I'm not really a fan of the wimpy muzzle brakes that come on some of the factory rifles. Holland, Painkiller, and Muscle Brake are well worth the money for big rifles.

-- richard

I'm the proud owner of a 7STW. I would take on most anything in the lower 48 with it. When a 7mag is so over pressured and blowing primers the 7 stw is kicking them out at even higher speeds without straining. The STW is also much smaller in capacity compared to your 7 Ultra mag and the barrels will last longer.

The shell are available in stores and the reloader with the slower twists can take advantage of the super high BC of VLD bullets clear up to 190 grains.

7mm is on most people's upper edge of comfort. The 30 cal 210 gr & 240 gr out of ultra mags bother a high % of people

If I were going to purchase a dedicated elk gun I would go big. Not much more than it's little brother:

Savage Arms > Firearms > Gun Finder

Here's the HS Precision model:

Savage Arms > Firearms > Gun Finder

Love these guns. If the LRH had a more vertical grip I would like it. Put it in a McMillan A3 and it's nice. Or, the HS precision model is golden, but a pound heavier... This is where I'd go.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.