35 caliber bullet choice

I have had two Mod 700 Classics, had both reamed to the AI. I only killed game with 3 bullets; the 250X, the 200X and the 310 Woodleigh. I used the Speer 220fn for my fireforming loads but they were super accurate. IMO, the 200TTSX will give you the best "all around" load. It will definityly penetrate and yet not tear up a bunch of meat. the 310 was a wonderful bullet too, but I only killed 200# Eurasian that was close enough to brain-pan with my .38 +P, ha. Its a grand rifle/cartridge combo. Try a magnum primer with R15 and the 250 partition sometimes! :)

That's also what I'm reading is that RL15 is the ticket for the whelen.

58-59 grn of 15 with the 225 nos part is hard to beat as is 59-60 grn of varget with the same bullet. Both powders also work well in the .375 h&h as well.

Just bought a Remington 700 classic in 35 whelen that I'm going to be using to mainly hunt white tails in Missouri but will also bring it with me as a backup rifle on elk hunts. What would be my best bullet choice to tackle both? I will be reloading. Never shot any Swift a frames but from what I understand they're a bit too tough for a whitetail? Looking at the 225 Accubond, 220 speer hot cor or the 223gr hammer sledge hammer. I know the Accubond will get it done but are any of these a better option?

For your application and bullet velocities, it's pretty hard to beat a plain old Hornady Interlock, or a Remington Core-Lock! There are multitudes of bullets that will work fine, but those jump out at me....I guess because I'm old! memtb

I've heard guys saying you can shoot the pistol .357 Magnum bullets with good accuracy in a .35 Whelen, since they're only .001" difference in diameter... The Hornady 140 FTX and 158 XTP JHP would be an inexpensive option. Not sure how well they'll hold up at rifle velocities, but might be an interesting test to find out.

Man you can't go wrong with the hammer. I just had some loaded up for my uncles .358 Norma mag for a deer hunt. He used the 178 sledge hammer. He shot a few pigs two were very large and he shot a dandy whitetail. Nothing went very far. The deer he shot as it faced him and it did an insane amount of internal trauma and bullet still exited the back opposite side of the deer. Very impressed with them. I'll be loading sledge hammers in my .338 lapua improved after seeing that. I took a nice audad with my 6.5 creed and hammer hunters. Those Bullets still have me shocked at how good they are.

I have a 358 wildcat which is the ballistic equivalent of the 35 Whelen AI. I've had great luck with the 225 Accubond from close to 400 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.