Another caliber choice?

Parkerb14

Ok guys, I know this topic is like beating a dead horse, but here it goes. I am currently not financially able to get a custom build done (college), and was thinking about getting Savages new 11 or 111 long range hunter. There are 3 calibers im intrested in; 300 WSM, 6.5X284, or 7 RM. My question is which would you go with, I live in Montana and hunt elk and deer and would like to be able to get out there 800 or so yards.

Thanks,
Parker

If im not mistaken the 6.5-284. has the most potential for long range hunting and shooting, but it does carry a litter bullet. I have a 7mm rem mag and a 300. wsm and i love both. My 7mm is more comfortable to shoot due to the 300. wsm being a lighter gun with harsher recoil. Both of these gun are fantastic for long range hunting. The 7mm rem mag loaded with 168 grain berger maybe your best choice of the 3. Best of the West uses both the 6.5-284 and a 7mm rem mag. They shoot 168 grain berger in the 7mm and have put animals down past ranges you wont believe.

As much as i love the 300 my vote goes to the 7

That's a hard choice!! Any one of those would get it done. Is the 6.5-284 on a long action? Important if you want to shoot the long high bc bullets and still have a chance of using the magazine. All three are excellence choices. The 300 WSM will deliver the most energy at long range. For what you want to do, i'd give the edge to the 300 WSM.

Do you handload? If not, then don't get a 300 wsm. Then get a 7mag, ammo is more available and black hills loads the 162 A-max.

I can't decide!

The best 7mm rem mag load has the capability to go farther by a one or two hundred yards past the best 300 WSM load due to retained velocity (7mm has higher bullet bc like 162 A-max or 168 VLD). Both are plentiful for 800 yards with proper loads, the 300 has more elk stomping loads.

But the 6.5 and 7 has some amazing ballistics (high bullet bc) and still does great on elk with good shot placement.

There are factory Savage 7mm WSM out there, just letting ya know.

Good luck.

(updated)

Last edited:
That's a hard choice!! Any one of those would get it done. Is the 6.5-284 on a long action? Important if you want to shoot the long high bc bullets and still have a chance of using the magazine. All three are excellence choices. The 300 WSM will deliver the most energy at long range. For what you want to do, i'd give the edge to the 300 WSM.

Do you handload? If not, then don't get a 300 wsm. Then get a 7mag, ammo is more available and black hills loads the 162 A-max.

The 6.5 is on a LA, and yes I do handload.

I can't decide!

The best 7mm rem mag load has the capability to go farther by a few hundred yards past the best 300 WSM load due to retained velocity. Both are plentiful for 800 yards, but the 300 has more elk stomping loads.

But the 6.5 and 7 has some amazing ballistics and still does great on elk with good shot placement.

There are factory Savage 7mm WSM out there, just letting ya know.

Good luck.

Yes, I wished they offered this gun in 7 WSM, then I wouldnt be posting this. This gun has a lot of nice features for a reasonable price.
Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models
Click centerfire, hunter series, and 11 or 111 long rage hunter

Being a hand loader, My choice would be the 300WSM with a 200+ grain bullet atop RL17 or H4350. You will be able to push a 208-210 grain bullet to 2950+ (26"+ barrel) fps that will give you a lot of stopping power at 800, but could extend that to 1000 or so yards. At altitude for Elk you could extend that to 1200yrds. So that is my thought. The 7RM is going to be close, but the farther you go the 7mm losses its retained energy but maintains speed, where you get the opposite from the 300WSM.

Tank

Of your choices, I'd go with the 300 WSM loaded with .200gr NAB or .210gr Berger hunting VLDs ... and because you live in the Big Sky Country like I do, I'll stay with the powders that are more forgiving in temp changes, such as H1000 or H4831/SC

Good luck!

Ed

Thanks guys I was thinking the 300 WSM would be my best choice, but kinda had the 6.5X284 bug as some have. But for my applications, it will be the 300. Im just south of you Feenix in Butte.

Thanks guys I was thinking the 300 WSM would be my best choice, but kinda had the 6.5X284 bug as some have. But for my applications, it will be the 300. Im just south of you Feenix in Butte.

Parker,

I like Butte, we were there last month when my son competed in the club swim championship at the YMCA pool.

6.5 x 284 is an awesome round and is certainly capable. Check out this 925 yard shot at a CO bull elk ...

YouTube - Jeremy 925 yard elk!

Ed

I have a savage in 300wsm. It is a real good shooter out to 500 yards
I set it up as a light weight pack gun.
As I said it is a shooter but I would not do another short mag mine is hard to reload(you have to bump the shoulder just right or it wont chamber) and the fact I can only get two in the mag is a pain. also since mine is a short action the mag lenght really hinders the lenght of the reloads.
retiredcpo

I have a savage in 300wsm. It is a real good shooter out to 500 yards
I set it up as a light weight pack gun.
As I said it is a shooter but I would not do another short mag mine is hard to reload(you have to bump the shoulder just right or it wont chamber) and the fact I can only get two in the mag is a pain. also since mine is a short action the mag lenght really hinders the lenght of the reloads.
retiredcpo

I was worried about seating bullets out, thanks for that. If I do get the 300 (2rounds), I was loking and Sharp Shooter Supplys detachable magazine. Not so sure if I want the 300 if I cant seat the 210 Bergers out to the lands.

Parker,

I like Butte, we were there last month when my son competed in the club swim championship at the YMCA pool.

6.5 x 284 is an awesome round and is certainly capable. Check out this 925 yard shot at a CO bull elk ...

YouTube - Jeremy 925 yard elk!

Ed

Awesome video, like the Best of the West! Well heck! if you ate at Mckenzie Rivier Pizza when you were in town you might have met my girlfried...Hope your son did well!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts