• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Buyer Beware

mark scott

Last week, I placed a bid on E-bay for a used RCBS Rangemaster 2000 electronic used reloading scale with a great description by the seller. I really needed the scale and I bid much more than the scale sold for. Only one other bidder bid on the scale to the best of my memory. There was no "Reserve" amount placed on the auction by the seller. Obviously, the scale sold at auction to me for less that the seller anticipated. Immediately, after the auction, I sent the funds. Soon afterwards, I received an email that stated the scale was damaged or out of stock and my funds were being returned. On Ebay, there is no way to leave "feedback", once the product is deemed by the seller to be damaged or out of stock. The Ebay seller az-reloader has 100% customer satisfaction rating. Well, I guess I'm the first dissatisfied ethical customer???

Remarkably today, the scale with the same description is once again advertised on Ebay. This is the same used scale with the same great description. The scale is now advertised for the buy-it-now price of $93.00. What a coincidence, back in stock and ready to use. You be the judge of az-reloader!

Last week, I placed a bid on E-bay for a used RCBS Rangemaster 2000 electronic used reloading scale with a great description by the seller. I really needed the scale and I bid much more than the scale sold for. Only one other bidder bid on the scale to the best of my memory. There was no "Reserve" amount placed on the auction by the seller. Obviously, the scale sold at auction to me for less that the seller anticipated. Immediately, after the auction, I sent the funds. Soon afterwards, I received an email that stated the scale was damaged or out of stock and my funds were being returned. On Ebay, there is no way to leave "feedback", once the product is deemed by the seller to be damaged or out of stock. The Ebay seller az-reloader has 100% customer satisfaction rating. Well, I guess I'm the first dissatisfied ethical customer???

Remarkably today, the scale with the same description is once again advertised on Ebay. This is the same used scale with the same great description. The scale is now advertised for the buy-it-now price of $93.00. What a coincidence, back in stock and ready to use. You be the judge of az-reloader!
He's not the only seller doing this. I've had it happen numerous times when they don't get their price. Unfortunately there's no rules that they can't do it as long as they are being dishonest about the condition after seeing they didn't get the price they wanted. It's easier to put a reserve on it but they don't. Its disappointing but it is what it is.

Actually, the seller on eBay is the one that gets taken most of the time. In this case the seller apparently realized he had set himself up for a bad sale and lowered himself by shutting down your purchase. A deal between a buyer and a seller should be fair to both parties. For example, I sold a gunstock last month on eBay for $180 and when I received my portion of the proceeds after the eBay fees and shipping I had $112. I tried to plan ahead wanting to net about $120 but even my planned calculations came up short. I buy things on eBay because they are usually available at a reasonable price but I would not advise anyone to sell on eBay if they can find another method. The best place to look for reloading items and reloading supplies in on this forum. My second choice is GunBroker because their fees are much lower. In the past few months the selling prices on eBay are about one third higher because the sellers are realizing what is happening. A seller can get into trouble with the rigid eBay selling options if he is not careful. eBay is not your friend if you are a seller.

Last edited:
Actually, the seller on eBay is the one that gets taken most of the time. In this case the seller apparently realized he had set himself up for a bad sale and lowered himself by shutting down your purchase. You should give him negative feedback. For example, I sold a gunstock last month on eBay for $180 and when I received my portion of the proceeds after the eBay fees and shipping I had $112. I tried to plan ahead wanting to net about $120 but even my planned calculations came up short. I buy things on eBay because they are usually available at a reasonable price but I would not advise anyone not to sell on eBay if they can find another method. The best place to look for reloading items and reloading supplies in on this forum. My second choice is GunBroker because their fees are much lower.
He indicated there was no where to put feedback once he delisted the original for sale post. Its a flawed system for sure but one that sometimes is worth using of the deal is good enough. I've bought and sold on ebay and have excellent experiences doing both. Unfortunately I've had bad on both also. I take the good with the bad.

He's not the only seller doing this. I've had it happen numerous times when they don't get their price. Unfortunately there's no rules that they can't do it as long as they are being dishonest about the condition after seeing they didn't get the price they wanted. It's easier to put a reserve on it but they don't. Its disappointing but it is what it is.
Or put a starting price of the minimum they are willing to accept. Ebay and gunbroker both!! Drives me nuts to see an auction starting at a very low price but has a reserve. Just a waste of my time. Start it at the reserve and be done with it.

Or put a starting price of the minimum they are willing to accept. Ebay and gunbroker both!! Drives me nuts to see an auction starting at a very low price but has a reserve. Just a waste of my time. Start it at the reserve and be done with it.
Yep ultimately a reserve is the answer but some either don't know or don't care.

I bought car parts from a seller that accidentally listed for half price of anywhere I found online. I got refunded because it was "out of stock" and it was relisted for higher price. I was ****ed and didn't want him to get away with it, so I contacted eBay and tried for several days to have them do something to the seller. eBay doesn't care. Not worth the time. I used to sell stuff on eBay when I was younger but don't anymore because of the insane fees.

I've had this happen before too. Can't leave feedback. I won't sell anything on eBay. I used to sell all the time 20 years ago but with all the fees it just doesn't make sense.

I think the only answer to selling on eBay is to use a "Buy it Now" price. That way the buyer and seller know exactly where they stand before the deal is closed. You expect the "Buy it Now" price to be lower if there is no return on the item. Free shipping can be used to sweeten the deal but in this market of high eBay fees and high shipping costs the seller must take that into consideration.

Actually, the seller on eBay is the one that gets taken most of the time. In this case the seller apparently realized he had set himself up for a bad sale and lowered himself by shutting down your purchase. A deal between a buyer and a seller should be fair to both parties. For example, I sold a gunstock last month on eBay for $180 and when I received my portion of the proceeds after the eBay fees and shipping I had $112. I tried to plan ahead wanting to net about $120 but even my planned calculations came up short. I buy things on eBay because they are usually available at a reasonable price but I would not advise anyone to sell on eBay if they can find another method. The best place to look for reloading items and reloading supplies in on this forum. My second choice is GunBroker because their fees are much lower. In the past few months the selling prices on eBay are about one third higher because the sellers are realizing what is happening. A seller can get into trouble with the rigid eBay selling options if he is not careful. eBay is not your friend if you are a seller.
No offense but how is the sellers ignorance the problem of the buyer? "Fair for both parties" goes out the window when the seller agrees to sell something under the terms they AGREED to. Then backing out when they realize they screwed up is tacky at best. I feel little remorse for sellers on ebay. It's not like they are getting hit with some backdoor, side alley suprise.

OP- Thanks for the heads up.

No offense but how is the sellers ignorance the problem of the buyer? "Fair for both parties" goes out the window when the seller agrees to sell something under the terms they AGREED to. Then backing out when they realize they screwed up is tacky at best. I feel little remorse for sellers on ebay. It's not like they are getting hit with some backdoor, side alley suprise.

I agree with what you are saying. Most sellers would have honored the deal and chalked the loss up to experience. I've purchased hundreds of items on eBay and I have very few complaints. eBay is good because a buyer can actually find things they want to buy at a price they will pay. But, if you haven't tried selling on eBay you should give it a try.

I bought a bow on eBay. Seller emailed after I paid and said "you bought it to cheap". I Told him he was the one that listed it and many bid on it. I was the high bidder. Expressed my concerns to eBay and I got the bow.