Busted Sightron STAC 4-20X50 & customer service

Hugnot

The dropped rifle(s)

Almost 6 decades ago, as a recruit, the class sergeant was instilling flexibility of thought & adversity preparation for a certain recruit. I did not see the event but heard the loudest parts. Lots of command barking followed by a loud clattering sound. The result was a busted M1 Garand - stock smashed in two at the pistol grip. Surprisingly, the sergeant dropped the rifle or more likely it slipped out of his hands and was thrown at the deck. Much silence, no talk, the two recruits involved were star performers and wished to maintain their standing. Poor grain flow thru grip?? That Korean war vet told stories of stomping on the operating rod to unlock overheated rifles.

After that I developed a real fear of dropping a rifle - it had never happened in almost 60 years until last week. Direct hit on floor at scope eye piece - bent tube - no repair. I had a vivid memory occurrence of the busted Garand just days before my misfortune.

I sent the scope to Sightron via USPS priority, insured mail on Nov. 24 & they received it on the 27th. Sightron called me on the 28th to inform me the scope was totaled & offered to send me a new scope for about 50% cost of new scope and would send invoice via email. I got the email & paid damage by credit card on Nov. 30. They sent me a UPS tracking number minutes after payment.

I never have totaled a scope so I cannot comment on various scope maker replacement policies.

Last edited:
Mixed bag for me.
I have sent 3 scopes back to Nightforce in the last 4 years. Two for workmanship issues, one scope I fell and the the zero was knocked off and unable to stay zeroed.
My only two issues I had with the NF warranty was having to pay shipping for the two workmanship issues. The scope that i sent back due to falling didn't bother me to pay for sending back.
In the end both scopes were fixed, and the one replaced.

Yeserday I called a popular ballistic rangefinder company about my rangefinder acting up, not reading, not syncing, etc.
I was informed the unit was outside the 5 year warrany period and there was nothing they could do.
They stated if it was within warranty they could offer me 20% off a new model.
I'm indifferent at this point about the 20% offer. I was more frustrated that customer service told me my unit was supposedly built in 2017, but I bought it in 2019. I'm having a tough time reconciling this one, but the the fine print states their warrantly period begins based on their manaufacutring date, not the sale date. I would have returned the unit and requested a freshly built unit had i known it was already 2yrs into the warranty period.

Glad they hooked you up. I personally haven't had to use Sightron's warranty yet.

Recently got denied warranty repair or replacement on an Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 that was defective straight out of the box. The Illumination had issues and only one side of the reticle would Illuminate bright while the other half is noticeably dimmer and Athlon's CS Warranty manager Chuck told me since some of them are like that while others don't have this issue straight from the factory so it's not a defect if I got one of the bad ones and is not considered a warranty issue and they don't repair them nor offer any replacement if anyone experience this same Issue I have. As long as the Illumination turns on to them it works as it should regardless if the Illumination is uneven on one half of the reticle.

My other Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 doesn't have this Illumination issue and is perfect throughout the entire reticle and is absolutely beautiful when the Illumination is used aside from everything being unbelievably stiff.

For $1699.99 to $1799.99 for their top of the line Athlon Cronus BTR scopes, pray you get a good one because Athlon won't replace it if you get one of their bad ones with defective illuminated reticles.

I have first hand experience with oneof each good and bad and first time warranty denied because they don't consider it defective if it at least turns on regardless if it looks like hell.

Actually second time because the 2 Argos 6-24x50 scopes with terrible image quality I had bought they said was normal like looking through waxed paper on high magnification.

Should have switched to VORTEX a long time ago at least they won't screw you over if you have any issues with their products.

Mixed bag for me.
I have sent 3 scopes back to Nightforce in the last 4 years. Two for workmanship issues, one scope I fell and the the zero was knocked off and unable to stay zeroed.
My only two issues I had with the NF warranty was having to pay shipping for the two workmanship issues. The scope that i sent back due to falling didn't bother me to pay for sending back.
In the end both scopes were fixed, and the one replaced.

Yeserday I called a popular ballistic rangefinder company about my rangefinder acting up, not reading, not syncing, etc.
I was informed the unit was outside the 5 year warrany period and there was nothing they could do.
They stated if it was within warranty they could offer me 20% off a new model.
I'm indifferent at this point about the 20% offer. I was more frustrated that customer service told me my unit was supposedly built in 2017, but I bought it in 2019. I'm having a tough time reconciling this one, but the the fine print states their warrantly period begins based on their manaufacutring date, not the sale date. I would have returned the unit and requested a freshly built unit had i known it was already 2yrs into the warranty period.
SIG and Trijicon both have 5 year limited warranty on their electronics from date of manufacture not date of actual purchase and they state this on their websites. It sounds sneaky but it is what is and buying old stock shortens the warranty. The dealers won't know the actutage and if their warranty already expired either only the manufacture knows how to read the serial numbers to determine actual age.

Vortex has lifetime warranty on their electronics and so does Maven and it's going to be the next rangefinder I'm buying. Tired of all the disposable throw away electronics sold by other brands with only a few years warranty and all electronics will and do fail.

Vortex even pays for your return shipping via prepaid return shipping label if you need to use their warranty.

Vortex service is exceptionally good. I have not been impressed with the optical quality of the 2 Viper & 1 Diamondback scopes I have owned but I expect higher end Vortex scopes would be better. How does it work? - "spend low, cry more" - "spend high, cry less" Nice to see a real pricy NF scope replaced.

Vortex service is exceptionally good. I have not been impressed with the optical quality of the 2 Viper & 1 Diamondback scopes I have owned but I expect higher end Vortex scopes would be better. How does it work? - "spend low, cry more" - "spend high, cry less" Nice to see a real pricy NF scope replaced.
Their Razor Gen 3 6-36x56 is the best Virtex scope I've ever owned followed by their Golden Eagle. The Razor 3 is just as clear as my March and clearer than all of my Nightforce scopes.

Once you go Razor Gen 3 it's very hard to look through any other scope. Sight picture is so huge it's unreal and the clarity is you have to see it to believe it.
Their new black ones for $2450 are really worth it.

My other lower end cheaper Vortex scopes not so much but at least they got the best no BS hassle free lifetime warranty in the business.

Their Razor Gen 3 6-36x56 is the best Virtex scope I've ever owned followed by their Golden Eagle. The Razor 3 is just as clear as my March and clearer than all of my Nightforce scopes.

Once you go Razor Gen 3 it's very hard to look through any other scope. Sight picture is so huge it's unreal and the clarity is you have to see it to believe it.
Their new black ones for $2450 are really worth it.

My other lower end cheaper Vortex scopes not so much but at least they got the best no BS hassle free lifetime warranty in the business.
Dreamy- exquisite view of rodent whiskers & beady eyes at 600 plus before bang, zip, splat. Also that dusty brown fur blends in well with dirt.

Mixed bag for me.
My only two issues I had with the NF warranty was having to pay shipping for the two workmanship issues.
Try shipping a March back to Japan for $130.... they do tell you what was wrong, how it was repaired, and an apology signed by the president of the company. NT seems to say the scope was fine even though they fixed the issue.

Try shipping a March back to Japan for $130.... they do tell you what was wrong, how it was repaired, and an apology signed by the president of the company. NT seems to say the scope was fine even though they fixed the issue.
On one of my scopes the rep called it a frozen zero stop. Given that NF had a name for it i guess they admitted there was an issue. The times i've dealt with them its really been a non event

On one of my scopes the rep called it a frozen zero stop. Given that NF had a name for it i guess they admitted there was an issue. The times i've dealt with them its really been a non event
I had the same frozen zero stop issue on a brand new ATACR but Keith at NF was able to talk me thru their fix over the phone so luckily I didn't have to send it back. Usually it is because the user over tightened it. I just spoke to him today and they are sending me a box, manual, etc. for an ATACR I just bought that the previous owner threw away. He wouldn't even let me pay for the shipping. I'm liking NF more and more.

Tony,

Was that the scope that would not hold zero after you fell? If so, would you describe the impact?

Jason

SIG and Trijicon both have 5 year limited warranty on their electronics from date of manufacture not date of actual purchase and they state this on their websites. It sounds sneaky but it is what is and buying old stock shortens the warranty. The dealers won't know the actutage and if their warranty already expired either only the manufacture knows how to read the serial numbers to determine actual age.

Vortex has lifetime warranty on their electronics and so does Maven and it's going to be the next rangefinder I'm buying. Tired of all the disposable throw away electronics sold by other brands with only a few years warranty and all electronics will and do fail.

Vortex even pays for your return shipping via prepaid return shipping label if you need to use their warranty.
I picked up a razor HD 4000 rangefinder for my son in the spring. Great glass. Great laser, nice case and a pocket clip. Weighs nothing. I think I found it for $450 with a little effort. It's a little thicker than my Leica 1300 but better in all other ways. Obviously it's new so I'd expect more features but it's a great standalone RF.

Was that the scope that would not hold zero after you fell? If so, would you describe the impact?

SHV – 4-14 on a rifle strapped to a pack with an elk meat in it. Pack was probably ~50-55lbs plus 13lb rifle
Packing out uphill with snow. I sat down to rest and restrap my rifle. That rifle was barrel heavy and when I stood up and got the pack partially back on the weight threw me off balance and down we went together.
The initial impact was on rock, then maybe 2 rolls together and then the pack went another 20 yards. It stopped next to a large rock. the rifle side of the pack was closest to the rock, so I assume the scope and bolt of the rifle met the rock first. The most aggresive impact points were the windage turret and rear of the scope from rear housing to a little past the eyepiece on the right side of the scope. I replaced the bolt knob and had to put on a new trigger because the safety was bent and had a slight jarring to it when running it on/off.

I mounted the SHV on a rifle built by one of the smiths that posts here often. That rifle shot touching holes to .5" at 100yrds. I mounted that SHV on his rifle and shot 3 rounds that measured a little more than an inch . I moved the turrets and shot 3 more and same thing. I recall moving up and left 3". it impacted the first shot in the area, but the remaing two being part of a 1" group wandered back.
NF was great about the whole thing. No complaints other than the 4mo. of pt on a paritally torn bicep from the whole thing.