Bushings, pt deux

lyle2231

Inquiring if anyone else had this happen? ….. I measured a neck bushing internal diameter on a couple of bushings, I found a .246 marked bushing measuring.243. Found a .256 @ .253. Anyone else make the same discovery?

Inquiring if anyone else had this happen? ….. I measured a neck bushing internal diameter on a couple of bushings, I found a .246 marked bushing measuring.243. Found a .256 @ .253. Anyone else make the same discovery?
What kind of measuring device did you use?

I randomly picked out 5 different bushings . my bushings are all Redding . I measured them with pin gauges . I could not get the corresponding pin gauge to go in . .001 smaller pin gauge did go in , but it was a smidge loose .

I think you'll have a hard time measuring this small of a hole with a caliper . it's the wrong tool for the job .

I had a similar thing happen with a CH4d bushing. It was supposed to be a .287 bushing but the sized neck diameter ends up .283.

I haven't checked the bushing with a pin gauge yet. I need to buy a set.

I randomly picked out 5 different bushings . my bushings are all Redding . I measured them with pin gauges . I could not get the corresponding pin gauge to go in . .001 smaller pin gauge did go in , but it was a smidge loose .

I think you'll have a hard time measuring this small of a hole with a caliper . it's the wrong tool for the job .
Not having access to pin gauges I used what I have. I wanted to find out if I had a one off anomaly. Hopefully my OP will pique a few more gentlemen's interest.

Odd of both being of exactly the same is slim, Im thinking it's withing the capability of the measuring tools. There will be tolerances to these too, they won't be to the tenth.

I have found a lot of variance in Redding tiN bushings. I've switched over to whidden bushings and have been pretty happy. That being said I've also found that the finished neck doesn't always correspond with the bushing size depending on the caliber and how much you are sizing down. It's still a guesstimate until you actually try it and measure the finished neck.

A .xxx bushing will not fit in a .xxx hole. The pin must be smaller than the hole, to fit.
To properly measure the bushings you need an inside micrometer, but you'd be wasting your time. I've never had a bushing come in more than .0002" outside of what was claimed and I measured about 40 one day when I was bored and sorting them.