338 edge, north idaho 6 pt bull

lamiglas

hello all! I have been off the site for the most part for the last couple of months. my computer got a virus and after we got a new one, i was nervous to get back on for awhile. I really have missed not being on here an learning from all of you.

anyway, On monday my dad, and a friend of mine, and I were watching a hillside that ranged from approx 450-1030 yds. at 755 am an elk appeared and we instantly knew it was a bull. i ranged the next opening at 603 yds and dialed in for it. made a perfect high shoulder shot and dropped it. it layed for 10 minutes then got its back legs under it. it couldnt move other than that, but was still alive and now broadside, so i put one more in the high shoulder (the other side) and he droped right there. I got the second shot on video and you can see the bullet (not the vapor trail) go through the air and into the shoulder. it is incredible!! we sat there in awe that all our time and effort had just paid off on a nice idaho 6 pt bull. we heard a bugle so i responded. this happened two or three times and then from out of no where 3 cows appeared, and behind them, another big 6 pt bull! my friend ken was ready and we dialed him in for the 575 yard shot. he hit behind the shoulder and the elk humped up, then walked 25 yards, and started raking a tree. it then laid down, put it head down for about 5 minutes. after that it got back up and started raking a tree again. its legs were wobbling an again although maybe unnecessary, my friend put one more in him and he went down right there. within 25 minutes we had two very nice 6 pt bulls on the ground. it is still hard for me to believe how it all worked out!

I was shooting a defensive edge 338 edge, 300 smk 2811 fps. first bullet was recovered from the far shoulder. it was torn apart but still wieghed 224 grains.

couldnt find the other bullet.

ken was shooting a 300wby that shawn did a brake and trigger job on. he was shooting a 210 berger at around 2600 fps.

I am sure i left out alot of details, but I really want to thank shawn and bob Carlock for the rifle they built, and the knowledge they shared at the longrange class.

also. last month i got a bear at 1065 yds.

have a good night!

Great job Bill on a couple nice Idaho bulls, I can't wait to get my hands on my rifle soon and get ready for next season

Thanks alot guys! I have tried to post pics in the past and for some reason, it doesnt work for me. My wife shot a cow two days ago and that combined with the two elk already hanging means we have been busy cutting up meat. after things settle down i will give the picture thing another try.

Brad, glad you liked the pics! hoping we can get together this spring for some camping/shooting.

Pat, hopefully our trip next weekend goes as well and we can get some good video!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.