Bump Neck | 300 WM | Brass Stuck in Chamber | PA (70*F) vs CO (18*F)

KarbineCrunch

Anyone ever experience this? I fired my Peterson brass in warm weather Pennsylvania, and reloaded with a forester bump neck die. (3 thousandths). I practiced all summer long no stuck brass in the chamber. Drove out to Colorado in 18 to 30*F weather and my brass would not extract unless I fired the round.

Anyone ever experience this? I fired my Peterson brass in warm weather Pennsylvania, and reloaded with a forester bump neck die. (3 thousandths). I practiced all summer long no stuck brass in the chamber. Drove out to Colorado in 18 to 30*F weather and my brass would not extract unless I fired the round.
How does it feel when you chamber it, no moisture on anything is there ?

Two possibilites. Water that freezes the round in place or you don't have as much clearance as yo think you do. Stainless shrinks quite a bit with a 70 drop in temp, but if it is clearances it should feel tight chambering. Leave the gun in the cold, get it to 18 and try chambering a round.

My bet however is water causing the case to freeze in place.

Two possibilites. Water that freezes the round in place or you don't have as much clearance as yo think you do. Stainless shrinks quite a bit with a 70 drop in temp, but if it is clearances it should feel tight chambering. Leave the gun in the cold, get it to 18 and try chambering a round.

My bet however is water causing the case to freeze in place.
Thanks -

If you chambered it while it was snowing i can just about guarantee it was frozen in place. Warm round from your pocket melts the snow then the water freezes in place as the gun cools off. You would be amazed just how little frozen water it takes to make a great welded connection.

When you fired the round you melted the ice and it came out easily.

If you chambered it while it was snowing i can just about guarantee it was frozen in place. Warm round from your pocket melts the snow then the water freezes in place as the gun cools off. You would be amazed just how little frozen water it takes to make a great welded connection.

When you fired the round you melted the ice and it came out easily.
Rounds were never in my pocket. But yes it was snowing when I chambered. Keep them in a belt pouch on my pack.

Rounds were never in my pocket. But yes it was snowing when I chambered. Keep them in a belt pouch on my pack.
Even if the rounds were at external ambient, just being in your hand while loading them will warm them up quite a bit. If your pack was also inside the truck for the trip out, that would also have the rounds warmed up.