Help...Neck sizing vs Bump sizing

Lonewolf, I am using Winchester brass. Neck turned needs a smaller bushing then factory brass. As said above, different bushings are just a method to adjust neck tension with different brands of brass. I use Remington unturned brass for my Rem 600 Mohawk.

BUSHING SIZE -Different brands, lots of brass may require different size bushhings. This is why we measure a loaded round with the components being used.

I dont anneal brass. To hard to get it right for me.

Necks change after brass has been loaded 15 and 18 times, requiring a smaller bushing. I had started with only .001" neck tension and found .002" is better on target.

There is some good info on the Redding website, like....

The bushing size stamp marking should face the case mouth.

The fired case neck should not be sized down more that .008" in one step.

A little lube on the outside of the necks , when sizing, helps both steel and coated bushings work better.

I have found that when sizing, or using an expander with new or annealed brass that it is important to lubricate the inside/outside of the case neck. The surface structure of the new or freshly annealed brass can scratch the dye, bushing, or expander. Also, when using a bushing, leave a couple of thousandths of play in the bushing when tightening the adjuster screw. I like to hear a faint clicking when shaking the dye. This seems to keep runout low by letting the bushing self align with the case neck. IMO.

Thanks a ton guy's you have cleared this up for me and got me headed in the right direction. I'm just gonna do some more research and reading before deciding on which die set. The next question is as far as seating dies which ones don't have a crimp in the same die? I like the idea of having it in separate steps to adjust them separately like with my Dillon press and dies.

No crimp is needed for a 243 win in a bolt action. I am still using an RCBS standard seating die. It seems to work fine.

I do trim all the brass to be exactly the same length. Then the seat die is set so the case mouth is just a hair away for the crimp ring in the die. Never checked run out.

My goal at the time was to shoot some 1" , 5 shot or small groups at 300 yds . Done.

IMO, bump with a Redding Body die when necessary and size neck with a Lee Collet die - done. Perfectly concentric ammo, consistent neck tension, no need for several bushings, neck turning, lubing necks, works the brass less than bushing dies, rarely have to trim the brass, etc. I do turn the necks to get the high spots off, but that is it. Ohhh, and the die is about $20 instead of $140 with bushings.

IMO, bump with a Redding Body die when necessary and size neck with a Lee Collet die - done. Perfectly concentric ammo, consistent neck tension, no need for several bushings, neck turning, lubing necks, works the brass less than bushing dies, rarely have to trim the brass, etc. I do turn the necks to get the high spots off, but that is it. Ohhh, and the die is about $20 instead of $140 with bushings.

I have.that set up too. Really like the collet.neck sizer. No donuts.very concentric ammo

Got the redding S dies too. They do a great job

Even have the wilson neck sizing die with my arbor press. Favorite seating die is the wilson in line seater

But.after going through all these different methods i saw no real improvement over the forster full length sizing die and the forster seating die.

Even John Whiddon says the full length sizing die produces more concentric ammo

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...uMcwZ_6MF53slxStA&sig2=rVLSZKltEJibPRtVH126cw

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.