Bullets With Grooves

GS was our favorite bullet we used prior to making ours. Their drive band design was inspirational to our design. We took it to the next level with the radius design of Hammer Bullets drive bands. Our patented radius design minimizing even more material that makes contact in the bore on the outside diameter of the bullet, takes the control of pressure and consistent accuracy to the next level.

The link you provided to the GS description/comparison between grooved and drive bands is very good. They definitely are not the same thing. The shared goal of pressure reduction in both designs is similar. How effective they are is what makes most drive band designs better than grooved designs.
It's a feature that I think is important with homogeneous bullets. Being longer due to lacking density produces inherent issues regarding increased engraving forces, fouling, overall friction in the bore, etc

Drive bands, bore riders, etc are good methods in reducing those things, but can induce problems of their own, such as parabolic drag. Applying a radius is indeed a good method to reduce drag. Keeping the bullet as aerodynamic as possible is always a good thing, when it doesn't compromise terminal performance and its intended purpose.

It's a feature that I think is important with homogeneous bullets. Being longer due to lacking density produces inherent issues regarding increased engraving forces, fouling, overall friction in the bore, etc

Drive bands, bore riders, etc are good methods in reducing those things, but can induce problems of their own, such as parabolic drag. Applying a radius is indeed a good method to reduce drag. Keeping the bullet as aerodynamic as possible is always a good thing, when it doesn't compromise terminal performance and its intended purpose.
How does material density increase engraving force?

What is parabolic drag?

I came to this thread to add more info from those links. I even attempted to add to your comment and even give you a nod.

I don't believe for a second you don't know what parabolic drag is or that you don't know what I mean. You submitted a patent and and made it a design feature for your bullets, but I'm to believe you don't know what I mean?

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to answer that.

We call our drive band design Parabolic Drag Reduction. It is in reference to the parabolic shape of the drive bands. Other than that I have never heard of parabolic drag. If I have not heard of it I assume most others here have not either. Maybe I am the only one in the dark here.

I also have never heard that material density of copper being 20% less than lead being a cause for higher engraving pressure.

You all can take it how ever you like. If I knew the answers to the questions I would have joined the conversation and added what we knew about the subject and how we have dealt with these issues.

We call our drive band design Parabolic Drag Reduction. It is in reference to the parabolic shape of the drive bands. Other than that I have never heard of parabolic drag. If I have not heard of it I assume most others here have not either. Maybe I am the only one in the dark here.

I also have never heard that material density of copper being 20% less than lead being a cause for higher engraving pressure.

You all can take it how ever you like. If I knew the answers to the questions I would have joined the conversation and added what we knew about the subject and how we have dealt with these issues.
Semantics….

as in how you took what I said previously, not everything else you said here- to clarify.

Last edited:
There was a company called "Groove Bullets". I haven't seen or heard from them in a long time so I assume the company didn't survive.
I was wondering if the hippies either invented or used ( groovy bullets ) , back in the late 1960s ?
And if they came in a tie dye color ?
I'm thinking it would be nice to shoot some groovy bullets.