Bullets vs Tracking Game

I like light for caliber bullets that will give me 2 holes in case they decide to run off. In 61 years of deer hunting I've had 2 deer run farther than 50 yards. Don't remember any that made it to 100. Most were in the central PA hills. I always tried to shoot'em about half way up, tight behind the shoulder. I've killed 'em with about anything from a .243 (not impressed) to a 9.3x62(VERY impressive). If you asked my favorite, I'd probably tell you it was a custom Winchester FWT in .358 Win. shooting old Barnes X 200-grain bullets. My experience, my opinion.

I tracked a buck for my nephew once for an hour.( 7-08) When we opened him up heart and great vessels were jelly. He ran into the thickest impenetrable swamp that he could find . Easily could have lost that deer.
If I could neck shoot everything, I would. Never tracked a deer that was neck shot.
I live where we can shoot a lot of deer and my property owners insist on aggressive doe harvest. This definitely changes things from trophy hunting out west. If it's not DRT it's a chance at a lost deer in a swamp .
Shot 100 plus pigs, they can be amazingly resistant to bullets regardless of shot placement. In my mind a big pig is a better test of bullet, rifle , hunter performance than whitetail deer. Love to hear more from pig hunters.

I tracked a buck for my nephew once for an hour.( 7-08) When we opened him up heart and great vessels were jelly. He ran into the thickest impenetrable swamp that he could find . Easily could have lost that deer.
If I could neck shoot everything, I would. Never tracked a deer that was neck shot.
I live where we can shoot a lot of deer and my property owners insist on aggressive doe harvest. This definitely changes things from trophy hunting out west. If it's not DRT it's a chance at a lost deer in a swamp .
Shot 100 plus pigs, they can be amazingly resistant to bullets regardless of shot placement. In my mind a big pig is a better test of bullet, rifle , hunter performance than whitetail deer. Love to hear more from pig hunters.
Can't give you specifics about bullets for I've only shot a few pigs (6mm 105 VLD), prefer the knife. But I will say that they are my favorite animal to hunt. I'll take pigs over elk anyday and I live in Wyoming. Haven't been in a while because I'm tired of paying top dollar for a guide or property access. Go get em!

I'm a believer in horsepower. I hunted a lot of years with a 30-378 WBY with several different bullets. Never had a deer take a step. The last couple years I'm hunting with my 416 WBY and again they don't take a step. One in the boiler room and they're out for the count.
I think you need a bigger rifle. That 416 isn't big enough to shoot deer with. i am wonder it you find anything after hitting a deer with that 416? Maybe a 458 or 460.

I've always taken out the front shoulders when rifle hunting and I teach my kids to do the same. Growing up hunting on state game lands in Pennsylvania, you better learn to drop your deer within eyesight b/c if you don't, there's a chance someone else will be shooting. Can't tell you how many lousy and unethical hunters I've run into over the years who have finished off someone else's deer and lay claim to it b/c they say they fired the killing shot. While we process every deer we take and either keep it for ourselves or give it to someone else, I don't necessarily hunt for meat. Taking out the shoulders with a 300RUM or 338 RUM doesn't necessarily work if you're looking to maximize hamburger meat, but it prevents any drama when hunting on public ground.
They taste better too. No stress from running off with a hole in their chest. I've taken the high shoulder shot with both rums you mention. With stiff bullets, i lost very little meat. 175lrx and 212eldx in the 300, and partitions in the 338.

Its quick and likely painless. I wounded a squirrel with a sloppy shot when I was a kid. It went in a hole way up a tree and bawled and bawled... dad made me sit there n listen to it. I bawled. Scarred me good. 30 years later, most of the anxiety i get when i shoot is from fear that i might wound it and feel that again.

I think you need a bigger rifle. That 416 isn't big enough to shoot deer with. i am wonder it you find anything after hitting a deer with that 416? Maybe a 458 or 460.
I shoot Deer with my 475rum. Less meat damage than the carnage from dads favorite, the 243 with 75gr ballistic tips. big bullets dont meet much resistance in a whitetail And stomp right on through. Like shooting a squirrel with a 22, it's just a hole, but it's a big hole! :D

I've always taken out the front shoulders when rifle hunting and I teach my kids to do the same. Growing up hunting on state game lands in Pennsylvania, you better learn to drop your deer within eyesight b/c if you don't, there's a chance someone else will be shooting. Can't tell you how many lousy and unethical hunters I've run into over the years who have finished off someone else's deer and lay claim to it b/c they say they fired the killing shot. While we process every deer we take and either keep it for ourselves or give it to someone else, I don't necessarily hunt for meat. Taking out the shoulders with a 300RUM or 338 RUM doesn't necessarily work if you're looking to maximize hamburger meat, but it prevents any drama when hunting on public ground.
Neck shots are good for DRT. Much less meat damage

Tracking game and rifle hunting= bad shooting. Hit where you aim and no tracking.

Always cracks me up when someone says this bullet is great only went 20 yds or 30yds. That's the most meaningless statement. Sometimes they go 100 yds sometimes they go no where with exact same boiler room shot placement and bullet. Animals do what they do. Shoot front shoulder if you don't want them to go anywhere.

Also if you loose game you shot with a rifle it means 2 things, you can't shoot or track worth a chit!! Practice both. Enough of my soap box