Bullet weights and similar charges

bomberodevil

I've had my same pet loads with specific bullet manufacturers for years. In these days of shortages, I've been forced to develop loads with different components.

I certainly understand that if I switch powders, the amount of charge weight and the burn rate characteristics will change significantly, and a new load development is necessary.

What about bullets in the same weights? I know the down range ballistics will be different between a Nosler and a Hornady, but in terms of barrel harmonics, will the same weight bullet be happy with the same powder and charge weight?

If a rifle (meaning mostly a barrel harmonics) likes a Nosler BT 140 grain with 41.5 grains of H4350, will that same rifle likely do well with the same powder and charge firing a Hornady SST 140 grain bullet?

I figure it's a good starting place, but I would think the harmonics would be the same. Thoughts?

Same weight bullets will give you a good starting point. Drop back in powder and work up again to verify. Using the same powder with different brand of same wt bullets should be close - but likely won't be exact same.
That's what I thought too. I certainly expect different down range ballistics, but I figured the velocity with the same bullet weight out of the barrel would be similar

Last edited:
The bullet weight may be the same but the profile of the bullet may not, this effects the amount of jump to the lands thus the pressures will sway. A different bullet may easily require a different charge weight due to this.

JH

This

With different bearing surfaces pressure will vary. A Gameking, TMK, Ballistic Tip, VLD or SST, etc, all will have a different bearing surfaces. POI will change as well, even with same powder charge.

This

With different bearing surfaces pressure will vary. A Gameking, TMK, Ballistic Tip, VLD or SST, etc, all will have a different bearing surfaces. POI will change as well, even with same powder charge.
I do measure all of my different bullets to the lands, then start my hunting bullets usually .030 off. I usually get a recipe sub 0.5, so I don't fuss with seating depth too much. If I can't get below .4-.5 moa, then I mess with depth seating.

I've seen pretty big differences in muzzle velocity (up to 100 fps) in bullets of different construction but the same weight, using the same powder charge.

Heavy jacketed bullets (like Tipped Game Kings) build quite a bit more chamber pressure (and velocity) than is typical of thin-jacketed bullets (like ELD-X's).

I haven't shot Ballistic Tips, but I think they have a heavy jacketed base, so might build more pressure (and muzzle velocity) than an SST.

The bullet profile will be different. The jacket will be different. The pressure will be different. The barrel harmonics will be different. So, in knowing all of that, what do you think is the safest thing to do? 🤔
What is the 1st rule of handloading? Any time you change any component, you should_________________________________________. Fill in the blank.

Last edited:
The bullet profile will be different. The jacket will be different. The pressure will be different. The barrel harmonics will be different. So, in knowing all of that, what do you think is the safest thing to do? 🤔
What is the 1st rule of handloading? Any time you change any component, you should_________________________________________. Fill in the blank.
I'm been handloading for many years, I'm not an unsafe practitioner of the sport. I load all my hunting loads at lower than max nodes, so I will work up (if that's your fill in the blank answer).
So many variables; so many changes. You might be better off buying a new rifle and starting over.
I've got four primary hunting rifles that I use 99% of the time. If I were to buy a new rifle for every load, that would get a bit pricey. I'm not sure the family comptroller would sign off on that, but I like your thinking!

"Not post on LRH forum"?

I've had my same pet loads with specific bullet manufacturers for years. In these days of shortages, I've been forced to develop loads with different components.

I certainly understand that if I switch powders, the amount of charge weight and the burn rate characteristics will change significantly, and a new load development is necessary.

What about bullets in the same weights? I know the down range ballistics will be different between a Nosler and a Hornady, but in terms of barrel harmonics, will the same weight bullet be happy with the same powder and charge weight?

If a rifle (meaning mostly a barrel harmonics) likes a Nosler BT 140 grain with 41.5 grains of H4350, will that same rifle likely do well with the same powder and charge firing a Hornady SST 140 grain bullet?

I figure it's a good starting place, but I would think the harmonics would be the same. Thoughts?
No! Everyone is different and some dramatically...even with the CREEDMORE...you are shooting!