What are using to throw and weight powder charges?

If your velocity node is fairly flat and SD small, then the accuracy variance of most digital scales will be inconsequential.
I agree 100%. Find a node and run with it. I have one node that is +/- 0.3gn. I literally just scoop and dribble powder until I'm in the node. Saves lots of time. ES is less than 20

Here is the workup data on my node.
Varget node test on 358 Win 225gr SBT

Current lot 2450

47.6. 2401
48.1 2439
48.6 2445

New lot
47.6 2425
47.8 2418
48.0 2437
48.2 2437
48.4 2448
48.6 2445
48.8 2444
49 2473
The ES was 11 on +/-0.4gn. If I do my part in prep and loading, the powder measure is extremely simple. I weigh it up with a plastic spoon on a Frankfort arsenal digital scale.

I understand this load wouldn't be considered for "long range" by most. However, it is an example of why I'm not overly anal about the charge weight.

Last edited:
I have an RCBS Chargemaster, and....it sucks and would not recommend wasting money on one. I cannot get it to calibrate out for whatever reason. It will throw charges accurately and automatically, however when I try to calibrate the unit it will not calibrate properly. When it weighs out charges all of the weights are consistent, I always check with an Ohaus 505 beam scale. I always stay with exact weights, whether it is the Chargemaster or if not the Chargemaster I use an RCBS powder measure that is set for 1/4 to 1/2 grain below my desired load and trickle charge the rest of the way in the powder pan on the beam scale.

I shoot paper, clay shotgun targets at 400 yards and beyond, hunt, and train with friends.. I use a Dillon powder meter to throw the powder, weigh it on a charge master 1500, trickle it with an RCBS trickler 2 and use Satern Funnels. My loads are just as good and sometimes better SD's than my friend that uses scientific scales (Denver instruments) and some other really expensive equipment.

RCBS powder neasure, into pan weigh balance beam, powder trickler to get it right. spend a fair amount of time, hope it is worth it

A Herters powder thrower with a Herters balance beam scale and a 30-06 case that has a washer soldered to the bottom to trickle powder . All older then me but still in good working order the guy that gave me this set up would be in the 100's if still alive . all bought by him just after WWII .

Right now a Chargemaster Lite, RCBS 505 Scale and hand trickler. I let the Chargemaster warm up 20-30 minutes, then zero my beam scale and check with weights. Use Chargemaster to get close, trickle up on 505. Slow, but works for me for the time being. Eventually hope to get into FX120i with AutoTrickler when I've got s bit more time to research and set up.

Just curious what most people are using to throw and weight powder charges? And with that method what are u seeing as far as load to load consistency? Or better question what is your acceptable variance that u find acceptable from load to load between those powder charges? I am running a A&D Fx120i with dandy powder trickler as my final measurement tool which is after I throw initial charge on chargemaster. My standard is each load has to be within .02 gr of each other which is normally a kernal or in some powders half a kernal. Is this to analytical for standard loads? I mean I know it depends on each guns purpose but personally I treat all guns the same whether a plinker for steel at 1k or straight BR gun that has full weight sorted brass, primers, bullets etc. just wondering views from others! Thanks
View attachment 137626
A plastic bowl, a plastic spoon and an RCBS 505.

Just curious what most people are using to throw and weight powder charges? And with that method what are u seeing as far as load to load consistency? Or better question what is your acceptable variance that u find acceptable from load to load between those powder charges? I am running a A&D Fx120i with dandy powder trickler as my final measurement tool which is after I throw initial charge on chargemaster. My standard is each load has to be within .02 gr of each other which is normally a kernal or in some powders half a kernal. Is this to analytical for standard loads? I mean I know it depends on each guns purpose but personally I treat all guns the same whether a plinker for steel at 1k or straight BR gun that has full weight sorted brass, primers, bullets etc. just wondering views from others! Thanks
View attachment 137626

20150610_210142_resized.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.