Bullet touching the lands or 2000th back?

Gentlemen, if you are too lazy to do your due diligence reading re. reloading pressure dangers with ammo bouncing around in rifle magazines while on hunting cars racks, rifle scabbards on horses, being heated in the sun while standing in blinds, etc., well then perhaps for your own safety, you should not be reloading. This is not an ego blow, but a true concern for your vision and personal safety! What works safely on a pleasant day can become explosive if the stars align against you. Yes, it's rare, but so is the joy of binocular vision.

There seems to be a question of varying opinion on whether to have a 2000 th jump to the lands and option of bullet touching the lands for best accuracy. What's everyone's thoughts here?
If you are shooting targets then you want the bullets touching or jammed into the lands for accuracy ! If you are hunting then I start with at 50 thousands jump and seat until I get about a inch group at 100 !

I think the freebore diameter had a huge impact on what you can get away with on seating depth. Not hugging the creedmoor here ,but, specs call for. 0005 or .2645 for the freebore diameter . A 308 has something like a .007 to .009 over caliber freebore . The creed ( and many other modern cartridge designs ) are built to minimize PAT, principal axis tilt, and are more forgiving of long jumps. Most older cartridge designs can let the bullet get cantewampus before it hits the rifling, so they will often shoot best as close to the rifling as you feel comfortable setting them.
I just looked up the 308 and 300 WM max freebore diameter .....308 maxes out at .312 and the 300wm is .317. That's a bunch of wiggle around space compared to the new style cartridges. It's easy to see why craming the lands makes for a more accurate reload with these older rounds.

Last edited:
The only advice I can give you on this is the slug when it is touching the lands and grooves exponentially increases the pressure of the cartridge. to verify this just look in either the Speer or Hornady reloading manuals. Hornady MAnual #9 page 25, it seems Speer manuals now do not have the same two pages they used to. the bare minimum I use is 0.010" off the lands and grooves (the lead). most of my rifles love the slugs 0.025" to 0.030" off the Lead. another bit of advice I can give you if this is not a hunting rifle and it is a target rifle, neck size only your brass for best accuracy. if you wish to get the best accuracy out of a hunting rifle, set your sizing die 0.002" less than the headspace (length of your chamber). if you need simple way to do this, then let me know it is pretty simple it keeps you from having to buy expensive measuring devices and works very well.

The big 30s in my experience like the bullet touching the lands for accuracy. I have a .300 Win that I could not get The desired velocity until it got a good jump. On average the best velocity guns have about .250 jump....Remington/ Bagara

There seems to be a question of varying opinion on whether to have a 2000 th jump to the lands and option of bullet touching the lands for best accuracy. What's everyone's thoughts here?

Try both and maybe a couple more. Use what is most accurate for you. Just be careful that your bullet doesn't get stuck in the lands in case you have to eject a live round at the end of the day and the bullet gets stuck in the lands and powder all over. Could mess up a hunt and actually has for some.

All...was more the question...lol...but I have found my 6.5 shoots best touching. 300 Weatherby too....338 lapua...still testing. The problem comes in when trying to get a load that works for multiple 6.5s...i talked 5 of buddies into buying 6.5s and this is when a bit of problem arose
I have had to bump the shoulders 2000 and seat back .005 to fit everyone. But my personal best accuracy is on the lands.
How did you get your 300 Weatherby touching lands ?. I can not get close with the new Accumark. It mine touches lands won't fit the Mag. I have gone as much as 0.050 off.

How is it that this thread is on its fourth page and no one has mentioned that Berger has a technical bulletin on this question? They only speak of their bullets, yet I would be willing to bet that what they've found to work with their bullets works with just about every other.

The bulletin is available here:
https://bergerbullets.com/getting-the-best-precision-and-accuracy-from-vld-bullets-in-your-rifle/
The jump or jam article. Read it awhile back. a must read

Berger claims that their hybrid bullets will shoot just as well seated to your calibers coal as they will measured of the lands I tried this with one of my 300 rum and it shot very well but it still needs lots of development haven't been able to get back to it

I figured since were pondering the theory of evolution I'd throw out the all copper / solid bullets and their apparent distain for being close to the rifling?

All...was more the question...lol...but I have found my 6.5 shoots best touching. 300 Weatherby too....338 lapua...still testing. The problem comes in when trying to get a load that works for multiple 6.5s...i talked 5 of buddies into buying 6.5s and this is when a bit of problem arose
I have had to bump the shoulders 2000 and seat back .005 to fit everyone. But my personal best accuracy is on the lands.
I have a .300 Weatherby and cannot seat them out far enough to touch or even come close to the lands with 165 gr. Sierra bullets. The throat is easy to long . I also feel that if I were able to seat them long enough they wouldn't fit in my magazine .

I have a .300 Weatherby and cannot seat them out far enough to touch or even come close to the lands with 165 gr. Sierra bullets. The throat is easy to long . I also feel that if I were able to seat them long enough they wouldn't fit in my magazine .
I'm using 208, 212 gr. Hornady. . I haven't tried anything below them that I didn't load to published data. These I'm loading for distance..

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.