Bullet touching the lands or 2000th back?

skipglo

There seems to be a question of varying opinion on whether to have a 2000 th jump to the lands and option of bullet touching the lands for best accuracy. What's everyone's thoughts here?

I have some rifles that like touching the lands, some that like up to a .120" jump.

I even have had same cartridge, same bullet, same powder charge in two separate SAAMI chambers on similar rifles like two totally different seating depths.

I think a majority of rifles like between .020" and .050" jump usually.

I have some rifles that like touching the lands, some that like up to a .120" jump.

I even have had same cartridge, same bullet, same powder charge in two separate SAAMI chambers on similar rifles like two totally different seating depths.

I think a majority of rifles like between .020" and .050" jump usually.

.12" off the lands? What caliber/bullet/barrel if you don't mind.

Although some rifles like the bullet touching or jammed in the land, there is always the chance that the bullet will pull out, when extracting a loaded round. You must have very consistent seating depth to prevent dumping your powder into the action. This is why you hardly see the bullet jammed in hunting rifles.

.12" off the lands? What caliber/bullet/barrel if you don't mind.
All...was more the question...lol...but I have found my 6.5 shoots best touching. 300 Weatherby too....338 lapua...still testing. The problem comes in when trying to get a load that works for multiple 6.5s...i talked 5 of buddies into buying 6.5s and this is when a bit of problem arose
I have had to bump the shoulders 2000 and seat back .005 to fit everyone. But my personal best accuracy is on the lands.

There seems to be a question of varying opinion on whether to have a 2000 th jump to the lands and option of bullet touching the lands for best accuracy. What's everyone's thoughts here?

Its a question that has been asked for eons.
And the answer is...………….is there is no right answer, BUT its whatever projectile you choose suits your rifle with the right powder charge.

If you search this forum the topic has been covered many a time, pretty much reaching the same conclusion...…………………..trial & error is the only way of knowing!

I pretty much run everything (with very acceptable accuracy) at .015 to .020. I figure that's close enough. One wonders how much "slop" there is in any given factory rifle/ammo combination. I'll bet it's a mile in some cases, compared to .015. So, with that kind of jump and the way I can get my stuff to shoot at the CBTO's I load, I figure I got it licked. Why touch or jam the lands? I get it if your an F-class guy with a barrel lathe in you living room (which is where mine would go) but if not why beat on your throat?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.