CA 6.5PRC Factory Ammo touching lands

clark33

Quick question, I am curious if anyone else has had a CA ridgeline chambered in 6.5 PRC with factory 143eldx precision hunter jamming into lands. I really have to run the bolt home hard to get the round to chamber, when I extract the round you can see where the lands have dug into the bullet. Luckily no pressure signs or anything but this shouldn't happen with factory ammo in my opinion.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

Thanks

Quick question, I am curious if anyone else has had a CA ridgeline chambered in 6.5 PRC with factory 143eldx precision hunter jamming into lands. I really have to run the bolt home hard to get the round to chamber, when I extract the round you can see where the lands have dug into the bullet. Luckily no pressure signs or anything but this shouldn't happen with factory ammo in my opinion.

Thanks
Some of the first chambering were .133 I think if my memory is correct . The new factory chambering are .188 . I have 2 custom chambering at .145 . You might have a smith check it . If you hand load reseat the factory ammo a little deeper after a few hundred rounds the throat will move on it's own .

My fierce has a real tight chamber. Similar issues but it shoots factory well. I reload and have to give the shoulders a slightly bigger bump then normal on my reloads to get rid of the really tight fit. It's my understanding this is intentional to help with accuracy guarantees with factory. Someone correct me if that's wrong.

Thanks
My Ridgeline is the same in the lands. Shoots the factory 143s .5 MOA but reloading I run them a little shorter and faster. Mine really likes the 156 eols.

If you tell Christensen that you ran any reloads they will void your warranty and make you pay for all repairs. So just tell them you are having issues with factory ammo and they should take the rifle back. You can ship it right to them and they can ship it back. No big deal, unless you want to pay someone to run an Alex wheeler reamer through it and rethroat it, that's what I am doing to my 300 prc.

I haven't ran any reloads thru it, only thing I've done is put it in a mesa precision stock but that doesn't affect the throat so hopefully they don't say voids anything lol

If you send it to CA they'll just fix it using SAAMI spec instruments. Get your hands on the Alex wheeler reamer and fix it right permanently. It'll take care of the throat and it will open up the case head area to keep you from getting clickers with your handloads.

SAAMI reamers have been the primary source of frustration for handloaders with the PRCs.

Send it back and check it when you get it back. I wouldn't assume anything other than it was not chambered properly from the factory to start out. Don't waste your time and money chasing anything until they have been ruled out.

I haven't ran any reloads thru it, only thing I've done is put it in a mesa precision stock but that doesn't affect the throat so hopefully they don't say voids anything lol
If you plan on reloading , and go with the .188 freebore instead of what you have now , you will probably run out of magazine before you can load too the lands . Custom throat you can move it .010 too .015 and be ok . I as a hand loader I would leave it alone Seating the factory ammo .010 too .015 is doing about the same thing less the crimp but if you load recrimp. The throat will move some keep that in mind.