Into the lands???

JustC

I hear into the lands quite often,....but just how is this done? Do I measure the rifling marks on my bullet to get a measurement of .010" if I want them .010" into the lands? I think I understand correctly, but could use an explanation.

Thanks

JustC, BTW, what are you shooting? When I do seat into the lands I don't do it by much, I smoke the bullet with a candle and keep seating the bullet in further until I can barely see land marks on the soot, I stop there, as far as how far into the lands, thats something you might want to experiment with, I just read on the VLD thread that VLDs should be seated .030" into the lands, Walt Berger told me to just seat them to touch the lands, anymore than that and I wouldn't have much neck tension. When using Sierra bullets they don't seem to care too much where they're seated, when I start loading my 150gr MKs in my 708 I'll be seating them .010" off the lands, and go shooting, I'm getting excellent groups with it shooting 150NBTs .010" off and not that bad .030" off also.
wink.gif
Jay.

Jay, I am shooting a 300RUM in a 30" PacNor 1:10. The action is a 700 , trued, and I had a sako extractor installed for the heavy bolt thrust of this caliber. The bullet's I have so far are 200gr MK and 215 cartaruccio (sp) I have only tried the 220smk's so far.

I see a small mark on the bullet,...maybe .010"-020" (I am only guessing from memory) at each rifling point.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.