Bullet selection 6.5 PRC

The_Whitetail_kid

Would like some opinions here. In my CA Ridgeline 6.5 PRC h have been shooting the 156 Berger's. Been grouping really good sometimes and then not as good others which I really don't know why. Could be me, maybe maybe not. But my biggest issues is how Christensen arms has got such a small magazine for the bullets to go in, and I have to jump those 156's way more the Bergers tend to like to be jumped for them to fit in magazine due to the long length of the 156 Berger . I'm thinking this could have something to do with the inconsistency. Since I have to have to them in magazine, I'm thinking of trying a shorter bullet (or normal) like the 140 VLD, 143 ELD-X, or the 140 Accubond. I have vld and Eldx and know I can get my hands on some accubond. This year shots will be primarily close range (200 yards and in) with this gun on whitetail. Where I hunt is extremely thick and I either need a dang good blood trail or the animal to be DRT. Thoughts on what to use? Thanks

I will add, I tend to shoot shoulders. Not very worried about meat loss if that changes anything. I'd rather have my animal DRT and sacrifice a shoulder.

I recently had the same decision to make with a PRC that is being built for a sheep hunt this fall. I went with the 140 EH over the 156 for different reasons, but I have been using 140 VLD's in a creedmoor for a few years and they performed flawlessly and have been very accurate. The EH are supposed to be less sensitive to seating depth, which may be right up your alley. Just about all DRT's. Bergers, in my experience, are great but havent typically left a blood trail if they don't drop in sight. They have never run more than 100 yds but that can be a long way in thick woods.

If you are concerned about them running off, I would suggest shooting into the base of the neck into the spinal column. They will drop so fast you may not see it, done that with a big 8 pointer.

For those ranges either a 130g Accubond or 140g Accubond will get the job done.
I run either in my 6.5x47 Lapua on deer and they kill very well.
Another great bullet is the Scenar by Lapua.

Cheers.

Would like some opinions here. In my CA Ridgeline 6.5 PRC h have been shooting the 156 Berger's. Been grouping really good sometimes and then not as good others which I really don't know why. Could be me, maybe maybe not. But my biggest issues is how Christensen arms has got such a small magazine for the bullets to go in, and I have to jump those 156's way more the Bergers tend to like to be jumped for them to fit in magazine due to the long length of the 156 Berger . I'm thinking this could have something to do with the inconsistency. Since I have to have to them in magazine, I'm thinking of trying a shorter bullet (or normal) like the 140 VLD, 143 ELD-X, or the 140 Accubond. I have vld and Eldx and know I can get my hands on some accubond. This year shots will be primarily close range (200 yards and in) with this gun on whitetail. Where I hunt is extremely thick and I either need a dang good blood trail or the animal to be DRT. Thoughts on what to use? Thanks

With a 6.5PRC, inside of 400 yards, and a "shoulder + exit" shot strategy, I don't see how you could go wrong with one of these...

You ought to be able to get at least 3050 fps, which will give you about 2200 fps and 1400 ftlbs of energy at ~400 yards at sea level. Should absolutely stomp on a whitetail (or elk for that matter), and by most reports, the Hammer/Barnes/Badlands bullets will likely shoot good. The Hammer/Badlands are a bit spendy, but probably not much worse than Accubonds.

I second entoptics suggestions. The only one of those bullets I've used is the 124 HH. I shoot this out of a 6.5x47. Nothing has taken a step. For 200 yds and shoulder shots a light all copper bullet of your choice should work very good.

I'm building a lightweight 6.5 PRC/SI for just that purpose and dropping back to the 127 LRX. I dont shoot over 5-600 yards and speed offsets a bit of the BC advantage of the bigger bullets.