Bullet selection 0-600

timmymic

Looking for a bullet for 0-600 for my 6.5 PRC for deer, elk and bear. The 147 seems great for longer ranges but the jacket seems to thin for close range. Is this the same case for the 156 Berger EOL? Other option I was thinking was 140 accubond.l but was hoping to have a bullet with a little more energy.

I've had nothing but great results with Accubonds from 20yds to over 600. Best all around bullet in my opinion. I also have had great results with Barnes. Hammer bullets are quite popular and I haven't heard any bad things about them. Hope this helps.

Kevin

Personal bias but I'd go hammers. Or Barnes or accubonds are good. Personally don't like bergers for hunting just because of how they perform. Yes I've shot critters with them and yes they died I just didn't like the lead sprayed all over. but I know lots of people on here prefer the beger performance and if a little explosiveness is your cup of tea then I think that 156 might be pretty awesome otherwise try hammers.

Looking for a bullet for 0-600 for my 6.5 PRC for deer, elk and bear. The 147 seems great for longer ranges but the jacket seems to thin for close range. Is this the same case for the 156 Berger EOL? Other option I was thinking was 140 accubond.l but was hoping to have a bullet with a little more energy.
Have you looked at the new 144gr hybrid?

My brother and I have relied on Nosler accubonds, partitions, etc in all my hunting rifles for years.... We hunt elk in what ranges from thickets of lodge pole pine to open meadows, depends upon the specific area on the Unita Mountains. Cartridges include 7mm Remington Magnum, a 270 WSM, several 30-06's and a 338 Win Magnum.

Look at the peregrine boattail tipped. O mono but I really like them. The eldx and LR AB might work well far far away but too soft up close. Actually a 140 nosler partition is a pretty good place to be. You might not win a target match but awesome killers

While I'm a big fan of the 156EOL in PRC and it would be perfectly fine for your needs (0-600 on deer, elk, bear), a mono would be the better all around choice if you're looking to just do 1 load. Hammer, Barnes, Nosler, Hornady...plenty of good mono options and weights to choose from. The 120 Etip hauling over 3200fps has proven to be an underrated lightning bolt though!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts