Bullet failures

I personally don't think the bullets fail, I think we fail at understanding. Prime example I certified with muzzle loader in Alaska, most accurate bullet and load I found was 295 gr SST ( Hornady ) with 80gr pyrodex. Shot my first moose at 15 yards. Died 6 steps away heart shot. I caped out moose and found bullet in hide on other side, nice mushroom. At that point I thought bullet was garbage, at that distance with only hitting 1 rib should have passed through. What if I hit the shoulder blade. But after studying bullet design and recommendations from Hornady, it did its job perfectly. I was the one who did the injustice by not understanding the bullet before hunting with it. Just my 2 cents

Did that BT happen to be the early yellow tipped version?
Yes, the 270 was yellow tipped but I never had them fail.
The early 140gr BT's in 7mm were too lightly jacketed for magnum velocities and I lost one of the biggest pigs I've ever seen after placing the shot properly at the lungs broadside failed to enter the chest cavity....yet the same bullet worked superbly in the 7mm-08.

Muzzle velocity was around 3,000'. Deer was around 200 yards.

Had the same experience on hogs with it.

Buddy quit them cause they did it to him. I know terminal ballistics and when to use a certain bullet. These are designed for that shot and they failed. They failed horribly in my book. Remington corelocks work a lot better lol. Don't use them but they do.
even know the eldx line are hunting bullets they are long range hunting bullets intended for 400+ yds when velocities slow down. close range and high velocity they are not the best choice and there has been multiple treads about them with Hornadys explanation being to fast to close

Not a complete failure but an FYI on the Sierra Gamechanger 6.5mm 130 grain. Hit scapula on a whitetail and pretty much blew the left shoulder to pieces. Deer dropped in its tracks but as I walked up there was literally a 6 foot squared area completely covered in deer fur. I have harvested well over 75 deer and never had seen this. The shoulder had an area larger than a pie plate missing down to the scapula, the base did enter the chest and get both lungs. This seems in my series of 1 to be a very explosive bullet.
2830 FPS, (muzzle)
range 105 yards
You sure that wasn't a Wardens decoy filled with Tannerite?

2 failures.
#1 180 gr Barnes TSX penciled through the body just behind the shoulder.
Most likely my fault as I carried the shells in my coat pocket and lint, and debris was is all the other bullet openings so I expect that is what caused it.I found the buck and shot it again in the neck and took it home.
#2 185 gr Berger VLD hunting bullet and it penciled through just like the Barnes.Called Berger and a guy named Walt said look at the open mouth tips and see if any looked buggered up and I did and they were.Berger sent me a new box of 185 Gr VLD hunting bullets and a small drill bit to make sure the opening is truly open.
Both times it was my fault
Generous of you to take the blame for not drilling out a manufacturers bullet to ensure it works! I'm going to start looking for those bullets that come with drill bits...I could use a set of bits!

After reading thru all the posts, it seems the majority of "failures" were either using a bullet for something it wasn't intended for, or wrong shot placement with the wrong bullet.

Shoulder shots with a cup n core type bullet and expecting to get a pass thru is just simply poor understanding of how bullets work. And vice versa, shooting a bonded/mono into the lungs and expecting it to expand into a baseball size exit.

Excellent discussion everyone, I'm glad it has stayed civil.

After reading thru all the posts, it seems the majority of "failures" were either using a bullet for something it wasn't intended for, or wrong shot placement with the wrong bullet.

Shoulder shots with a cup n core type bullet and expecting to get a pass thru is just simply poor understanding of how bullets work. And vice versa, shooting a bonded/mono into the lungs and expecting it to expand into a baseball size exit.

Excellent discussion everyone, I'm glad it has stayed civil.
I agree buddy. I used to love the shoulder shot. I've used a 165gr BT on a Texas buck with no issues. But you see it time and time again where it stops penetration, or causes deflection. Good info on both quick expanding and heavier constructed bullets.

Basically, ALL bullets "can" fail to perform as advertised, expected, tested, etc. REAL world hunting presents all types of variables that may be a one off for any bullet design. Its not uncommon for a bullet/load to perform very well through the years and then for one reason or another, one shot it didn't. Many of us have seen this through our decades of hunting and witnessing others' kills/wounds. Cup-n-cores, monos, tipped, hollow points, partitions, etc, etc have all failed at one point. Its happened to most any hunter who has much experience.

Within the last few months, I've had a couple of head-scratchers.

1) 6.5 Creed shooting a 140 grain Ballistic Tip. ~80 yard shot on a WT doe broadside. Central TX, so the doe wasn't exactly big. The near shoulder was turned into pudding, however the opposite shoulder was untouched. She dropped dead, so not technically a bullet failure, but not getting exit wounds is no bueno. Heck, the opposite shoulder showed ZERO damage.

2) Same loadout as #1. Spike WT deer. The broadside shot did have an exit wound. The near shoulder was absolute mush, with the far shoulder hardly effected. (I'd rather the near shoulder show moderate damage, with the far shoulder getting absolutely wrecked).

3) Broadside neck shot on ~100 pound boar. 85 yards. 308 Win. shooting 150 Interlock. Bullet did not exit. Instead of mushrooming, the bullet pretty much pancaked. Retained bullet held together but over-expanded.

4) Same story #3 except broadside shoulder on ~120 lb. WT buck. Pancake with no exit wound.

The terminal performance of 308 168 Gold Dots has been really good so, but the sample size isn't that large.

1) 6.5 Creed shooting a 140 grain Ballistic Tip. ~80 yard shot on a WT doe broadside. Central TX, so the doe wasn't exactly big. The near shoulder was turned into pudding, however the opposite shoulder was untouched. She dropped dead, so not technically a bullet failure, but not getting exit wounds is no bueno. Heck, the opposite shoulder showed ZERO damage.

2) Same loadout as #1. Spike WT deer. The broadside shot did have an exit wound. The near shoulder was absolute mush, with the far shoulder hardly effected. (I'd rather the near shoulder show moderate damage, with the far shoulder getting absolutely wrecked).

3) Broadside neck shot on ~100 pound boar. 85 yards. 308 Win. shooting 150 Interlock. Bullet did not exit. Instead of mushrooming, the bullet pretty much pancaked. Retained bullet held together but over-expanded.

4) Same story #3 except broadside shoulder on ~120 lb. WT buck. Pancake with no exit wound.

The terminal performance of 308 168 Gold Dots has been really good so, but the sample size isn't that large.
I look at the ballistic tips as a behind the shoulder or neck bullet for a shoulder shot I would lean more to a bonded or mono type bullet I dont believe these were bullet failures either like you stated just a more explosive bullet hitting something hard. One thing you might consider too lessen meat damage is to slow the bullet down it will not be as explosive, at the ranges you stated its still moving pretty darn fast I shoot a 150 NBT in my 7mm-08 because the 140gr acted like the ones you are speaking of

Last edited:

If all the animals died in place, I honestly don't see the issue. I have used the 150 interlock in a 30-06 as well as the 165, and have used the 168 bt in a .308, and I will agree I often didn't find exits. However when the animal dies in your scope, an exit to aid in tracking isn't really necessary.....

In other words, if you want an exit so you can track the animals, get a bonded bullet, partition or mono. If you like that they are dieing in place and don't need to be tracked, use what you have. One more consideration, if you like the large amount of shock and damage but would just like an exit, the accubond long range might do it for you. They are pretty soft and expand to a low velocity, so high velocity impacts should be quite devastating, but the nature of the bonded bullet should help to get more exits.

This is all just in theory however, I have only used the accubond long range bullets on a couple animals. The 175 sure got the job done on a pronghorn out of a 28 nosler at 300 yards though....

I look at the ballistic tips as a behind the shoulder or neck bullet for a shoulder shot I would lean more to a bonded or mono type bullet I dont believe these were bullet failures either like you stated just a more explosive bullet hitting something hard
Sounds like no tracking , or minimal tracking involved. Some would call that a success! If a full penetraion bullet is wanted I'd go with a heavier constructed bullet. And maybe a larger bore cartridge.