Bullet failures

I own and have used the Kevin Cram meplat uniforming tools.

Never had a hamBurger bullet fail to open after I meplat uniformed and countersunk the meplat with these Montour County Rifles' tools. I own the meplat unforming tools for .224, .284, .308, and .338 caliber bullets.

I thin out the leading edge of the meplat with the countersinking tool more than is shown in the below picture. Creates a catcher's glove for hydraulic opening of the tip of the jackets.

I don't use Burger bullets for hunting any longer. Meat shredders. I prefer to grind my game in my meat grinder.

View attachment 336901
Am I seeing this right that these are $100 per caliber?

Am I seeing this right that these are $100 per caliber?
With all this bullet talk which one is the best , which one does that etc,etc , I doubt there is any one here that would go on a 10 thousand dollar plus Elk hunt with a bullet we didn't have full confidence in right or wrong. You betcha I would have done my homework before that hunt and if something goes wrong I won't be blaming the bullet.

Mike from Texas,

For a complete set, ~$100 sounds correct.

But after purchasing one caliber set, you just need the body for the different calibers.
Cost info should be available on their website.

With all this bullet talk which one is the best , which one does that etc,etc , I doubt there is any one here that would go on a 10 thousand dollar plus Elk hunt with a bullet we didn't have full confidence in right or wrong. You betcha I would have done my homework before that hunt and if something goes wrong I won't be blaming the bullet.
That's a point I try to stress a lot. Do your research and align as many of the odds in your favor as you can.

Yep, the "NUT" behind the trigger remains the biggest factor in the success/failure of a hunt.

I haven't had a failure in all my years of hunting, but I have had 1 really strange bullet behavior. 127 Barnes LRX out of a 6.5 CM:
I shot at a buck that was facing to the left from me, deer is also located to the left of the stand. I waited until he was broadside(ish) and aimed for behind the left shoulder. Now for what "should" have happened, the bullet should have entered where it did (right behind the left shoulder, and continue across the body, and end up coming out a little forward and in the right shoulder. What happened? The bullet entered behind the left shoulder midway up the deer in the ribs, made a drastic turn right and down, and exited down by his last few ribs at the very bottom of the rib cage on the right side. All that was contacted was hide, ribs, lungs, and ribs again. Was the craziest thing I have ever seen, but I was glad I seen him fall within sight because he didn't bleed a drop. Have never seen a barnes make a drastic turn like that.

Last edited:
I haven't had a failure in all my years of hunting, but I have had 1 really strange bullet behavior. 127 Barned LRX out of a 6.5 CM:
I shot at a buck that was facing to the left from me, deer is also located to the left of the stand. I waited until he was broadside(ish) and aimed for behind the left shoulder. Now for what "should" have happened, the bullet should have entered where it did (right behind the left shoulder, and continue across the body, and end up coming out a little forward and in the right shoulder. What happened? The bullet entered behind the left shoulder midway up the deer in the ribs, made a drastic turn right and down, and exited down by his last few ribs at the very bottom of the rib cage on the right side. All that was contacted was hide, ribs, lungs, and ribs again. Was the craziest thing I have ever seen, but I was glad I seen him fall within sight because he didn't bleed a drop. Have never seen a barnes make a drastic turn like that.
With a 1-8 twist that bullet could be right on the edge of stability causing it too become unstable upon impact . That is a big factor with mono bullets being longer than a conventional bullet . If your on the edge of stability muzzle vel , impact vel ,altitude , etc can be a factor .

Yep, the "NUT" behind the trigger remains the biggest factor in the success/failure of a hunt.
In 1980 on a Colorado mule deer hunt , I shot a big 5x5 mule deer with my 300 wby using Sierra 168 gr International match boat tail bullets , it too 2 shots one from the front and one from broadside . I can still see him in my mind as that second shot took him off his feet in the air as he hit the ground . The bullet entered just far enough and blew up too kill him ,no exit. I didn't have a clue about bullet construction etc . Accuracy was my main goal , this story is a good example of the wrong bullet for the task at hand , and the nut behind the trigger. I got lucky never have killed one bigger since.

Elk hunts are cheap lol