Trigger failures

rustyshackleford

For those of you that shoot frequently and better yet compete how often do you actually see triggers "go down"? It seems like the old style model 70 trigger was the standard for a rugged trigger but surely all the new triggers aren't exactly frail.

Specifically, I'm toying with the idea of replacing my MOA trigger with a Timney. My particular sample adjusted down to 3 & 1/4 and is crisp, so hardly a bad trigger.

I dont compete but, I've never seen a trigger fail yet-- I've seen light primer strikes from light hammer springs on AR's, I've seen improperly adjusted triggers or improperly "stoned or modified" triggers fire when bumped or dropped. I've seen triggers not "catch" a hammer on an AR due to improper "stoning" and oblonged or misdrilled hammer/trigger holes... But I have yet to see a properly designed and adjusted trigger "fail"

What kind of failure are you speaking of?

I have a Rifle Basix trigger I tried the adjust it and completely messed it up. Called the company talked to Clay and he told me to send it out and he would get it going again at no charge. I cant speak for any other trigger out there being that this is the only one I've had but you cant beat that kind of customer service. I would highly recommend a Rifle Basix.

I dont compete but, I've never seen a trigger fail yet-- I've seen light primer strikes from light hammer springs on AR's, I've seen improperly adjusted triggers or improperly "stoned or modified" triggers fire when bumped or dropped. I've seen triggers not "catch" a hammer on an AR due to improper "stoning" and oblonged or misdrilled hammer/trigger holes... But I have yet to see a properly designed and adjusted trigger "fail"

What kind of failure are you speaking of?

I guess seizing up for one reason or another. It seems like of late that's an increasingly popular marketing point. Some actions like the kelbly have trigger hangers so if one goes down it can be changed out, and I think it was diamond triggers this year claiming their new trigger functioned when everyone else's was sieving at a particularly dusty match.

I've not had any problems with factory triggers and have installed nine Timney triggers which have greatly improved the rifles without any issues. Timney's facility is fifteen minutes away and a very talented triggersmith a few minutes closer. Installed a TriggerTech for my inlaw which is performing well also. A hunting friend installed an aftermarket trigger in his 70 Winchester and had trouble with it. We had to slightly trim the bottom metal to free it. Works fine now.

I have about 2300 rounds on a Timney CE. No issues.
All my other rifles have custom triggers too. Timney CE, TT Diamond, and a Shilen Match. A few thousand rounds through them with no issues too.

I guess seizing up for one reason or another. It seems like of late that's an increasingly popular marketing point. Some actions like the kelbly have trigger hangers so if one goes down it can be changed out, and I think it was diamond triggers this year claiming their new trigger functioned when everyone else's was sieving at a particularly dusty match.
Triggers need to be cleaned every once in a while also

Upon searching throughout the day I can't really find an instance where it cost anybody an animal or a match. It's looking more like it's just a marketing point to encourage you to buy trigger xyz over trigger zyx

After thousands of rounds fired, I've never had an issue with any aftermarket trigger. Also, I have a Timney MOA trigger replacement on a newer Model 70. It's a worthwhile upgrade.

I've definitely seen a Jewel lock up with a little dust, a friend said his BixnAndy has as well. I really don't like the trigger tech because I've had a few drop the sear if ran to fast and there is not sear engagement adjustment. I really like the Timney Calvin elite, I've ran all mine like a battle axe and they just keep working and I can adjust them to make sure they are safe.

Triggers need to receive the same attention as cleaning your rifle. Oil, solvents and powder residue find a way to gum up a trigger. Blown out your trigger with brake cleaner and use lighter fluid for a light lube, at least once a year.
Not all triggers like the lighter fluid, that's a Jewel specific deal mostly.

Upon searching throughout the day I can't really find an instance where it cost anybody an animal or a match. It's looking more like it's just a marketing point to encourage you to buy trigger xyz over trigger zyx

I've been shooting PRS for a few years and, including myself with a locked up Jewel, I have seen a few DNF's due to trigger failures. Lots of guys going with the Trigger Techs which are supposed to be better sealed, but I prefer a trigger with some over travel. I switched to the Huber Concepts that I have experience with for several years for hunting. It has proven to be perfect for the precision requirements, and rigors of PRS. While not cheap, it's well made, has a superb break, is tightly sealed against the elements, and guaranteed for 100,000 cycles.
I have also had excellent reliability with Timey's and the factory Winchester(old style) and Cooper triggers.

I've been shooting PRS for a few years and, including myself with a locked up Jewel, I have seen a few DNF's due to trigger failures. Lots of guys going with the Trigger Techs which are supposed to be better sealed, but I prefer a trigger with some over travel. I switched to the Huber Concepts that I have experience with for several years for hunting. It has proven to be perfect for the precision requirements, and rigors of PRS. While not cheap, it's well made, has a superb break, is tightly sealed against the elements, and guaranteed for 100,000 cycles.
I have also had excellent reliability with Timey's and the factory Winchester(old style) and Cooper triggers.
You do the 2 stage or single stage?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.