bullet expansion test results

The plastic tip is designed to initiate expansion. Like a plunger upon impact. No hydraulic force necessary initially. Plastic tipped bullet cut aways show a wedge shape where the plastic meets the lead and where it meets meplat. Everything else you said was spot on, at least in my head.

I agree that is how it is marketed.

Steve

I agree that is how it is marketed.

Steve

Are you implying that marketing hype may be hype! But if I don't shoot the new Hornady's, the tips will melt off of my bullets!:D

If you are still interested in testing more bullets I just got some 7mm 175 gr nosler lr accubonds

Sure! I'll shoot you a PM with my address.

No new tests this weekend, it's our 15th anniversary so I told my wife I'd hang out with the kids all weekend to give her a break. I tried to get the kids to help out with the bullet tests but that was a pretty clear NO!

Are you implying that marketing hype may be hype! But if I don't shoot the new Hornady's, the tips will melt off of my bullets!:D

This is what he believes......
It is my opinion that any tip plugging the hollow point inhibits the expansion. There is some give and take here as the hollow point of the tipped bullet is a larger hole than the non tipped bullet, but the tip must still get out of the way for the expansion to take place. In other words if you remove the tip from the hollow point before shooting it, it would open easier than it does with the tip in place. The smaller the hollow point the more difficult it is to get to reliably open on impact. So the non tipped small hollow point does not need to get rid of the "plug in the hole" before it can get hydraulics into it and cause expansion. It is just quite small and has potential for trouble. The smaller the more potential.

I don't know which is right or wrong, but according to Hornady the tip aids in bullet expansion. On contract with the target the tip gets forced back into the hollow point and its wedge shape forces the bullet to expand.

I don't know which is right or wrong, but according to Hornady the tip aids in bullet expansion. On contract with the target the tip gets forced back into the hollow point and its wedge shape forces the bullet to expand.

I use to think that, but after making thousands of my own tipped bullets, I think the expansion caused by the tip is a wash compared to a bullet with a lead tip that is as wide as the base of the tip. What it does do is greatly increase the b.c. over a wide open, or lead tip without COMPROMISING any expansion. If the bullet has a hollow under the tip, then that is a different story and the tip wedges open the jacket exposing a WIDER lead portion to expansion. In the case of the ELDX, there IS a hollow under the tip which does make it more explosive on contact. My personal favorite is a bullet that has lead clear to the tip which allows the bullet to expand at a little slower rate but still allows expansion down to about 1300 fps............Rich

Sounds reasonable to me. Once I decided to make an artificial mushroom. I placed a lead tip spitzer on the floor of the garage. I sort of held the hammer so the flat part of the head would be perpendicular to the center line of the bullet, drew back and swung as hard as I could. Instantly the bullet shot around the two car garage and bounce off a couple walls. When I found it amazingly the tip was only partly deformed. I certainly believe the company installs something to help initiate mushrooming.

...What it does do is greatly increase the b.c. over a wide open, or lead tip without COMPROMISING any expansion...

I don't hunt with lead so I can't say if a tip helps, hurts or neutral on expansion there. There is no doubt that tipped copper bullets expand, however, so do the hollow points, not down to the slower ranges of lead soft points, I agree.

That comment is setup for the next:

I think we need some video at 50,000 frames per second into clear ballistics gel with tipped lead, tipped copper, hollow point lead, hollow point copper and soft points.

That is part excuse to try to talk someone into figuring out how to do it with enough resolution to see if the tip does generate expansion and.... serious excuse to try to talk someone into making a cool video.

gun)

I don't hunt with lead so I can't say if a tip helps, hurts or neutral on expansion there. There is no doubt that tipped copper bullets expand, however, so do the hollow points, not down to the slower ranges of lead soft points, I agree.

That comment is setup for the next:

I think we need some video at 50,000 frames per second into clear ballistics gel with tipped lead, tipped copper, hollow point lead, hollow point copper and soft points.

That is part excuse to try to talk someone into figuring out how to do it with enough resolution to see if the tip does generate expansion and.... serious excuse to try to talk someone into making a cool video.

gun)

If you cover the cost of the camera, I'll pay for ballistic gel, bullets, powder and I'll even buy you dinner!
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...&c3api=1876,{creative},{keyword}&Q=&A=details

Sounds reasonable to me. Once I decided to make an artificial mushroom. I placed a lead tip spitzer on the floor of the garage. I sort of held the hammer so the flat part of the head would be perpendicular to the center line of the bullet, drew back and swung as hard as I could. Instantly the bullet shot around the two car garage and bounce off a couple walls. When I found it amazingly the tip was only partly deformed. I certainly believe the company installs something to help initiate mushrooming.

I would point out though that the A-max also has a tip and I am sure expansion isn't their goal there! I THINK the A-Max has lead clear to the tip though and that is why it is probably a little less explosive than the ELDX. Pretty sure the ELDM is like the A-max and why I think it just might be a better bullet......Rich

I would point out though that the A-max also has a tip and I am sure expansion isn't their goal there! I THINK the A-Max has lead clear to the tip though and that is why it is probably a little less explosive than the ELDX. Pretty sure the ELDM is like the A-max and why I think it just might be a better bullet......Rich

I concur!!

Hopefully I will test the 147 eldm on an elk, deer, and a couple antelope this year!! I'm thinking it's gonna be a winner though

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.