Bullet construction

@Petey308 do you have cross sections and measurements on the scenarL 155 and 175?
No sir, I do not. They're not one though I've personally viewed as an ideal hunting bullet though. I know people have used them and had success, but they're a particular design that limits their reliability of expansion without taking extra steps such at trimming the meplats to make them wider or drilling them to make them wider and create a larger cavity. Obviously all that can be done. I have done it, particularly with Sierra MatchKings, but with so many other options out there now that don't require the extra steps, my method now is to simply use a better designed bullet. Hopefully that doesn't come across as biased on way or another. It definitely has my opinion attached.

I do like some of the things Lapua does with their bullets though. The D46's, for example, are great, although being a FMJ, not a great hunting bullet either. I'm a fan of rebated boat tails though. I like the lockbase bullets they have as well. I'd love to see a tipped bullet from them. That would make for a great hunting option I'm sure.

No sir, I do not. They're not one though I've personally viewed as an ideal hunting bullet though. I know people have used them and had success, but they're a particular design that limits their reliability of expansion without taking extra steps such at trimming the meplats to make them wider or drilling them to make them wider and create a larger cavity. Obviously all that can be done. I have done it, particularly with Sierra MatchKings, but with so many other options out there now that don't require the extra steps, my method now is to simply use a better designed bullet. Hopefully that doesn't come across as biased on way or another. It definitely has my opinion attached.

I do like some of the things Lapua does with their bullets though. The D46's, for example, are great, although being a FMJ, not a great hunting bullet either. I'm a fan of rebated boat tails though. I like the lockbase bullets they have as well. I'd love to see a tipped bullet from them. That would make for a great hunting option I'm sure.

Noted. Thanks for sharing your work!

WOW! I learned SO MUCH! I always ELD bullets were a poor choice for hunting due to the likelihood of a pass through. I see now thats not so much the case.

I'm partial to Sierra bullets. I tried Hornady in my .204 (not for hunting) and the gun didnt like them. people said to pull the poly tip and try again but i need a little more info than that to justify starting over. I''ve recently started shooting Barnes Varmint grenades and it loves them.

In my 7mag I took a deer at 240yds last year with Sierra 160 gn SBT and the extt wound was (guessing) 3x the entrance size but it was a quartering to me shot

I'm not sure what the rules are here regarding this, but I'd certainly be willing to do what I can with whatever someone sent.
If there are any bullets you'd like to cross section that you don't have in possession or any bullets other members would like to see you cross section, I bet we could come up with the supplies from forum members.

I'm game to send whatever I have that others would like to see.

You can certainly learn a lot about bullets when you dissect them like you did.I've done a few myself.Other things I've noticed is jacket and lead hardness.One jacket I remember that was thin,but really hard was on a Winchester Power Point.The jacket on that bullet was like hard brass.Some bullets have soft lead cores,others have very hard lead cores.One of the thicker jacket bullets with a hard lead core was a Hornady Interbond.That is a very tough bullet.

You can certainly learn a lot about bullets when you dissect them like you did.I've done a few myself.Other things I've noticed is jacket and lead hardness.One jacket I remember that was thin,but really hard was on a Winchester Power Point.The jacket on that bullet was like hard brass.Some bullets have soft lead cores,others have very hard lead cores.One of the thicker jacket bullets with a hard lead core was a Hornady Interbond.That is a very tough bullet.
You are absolutely correct. Some cores are made of a harder alloy and do not expand or mushroom like others. They're not as malleable. They tend to fracture more than squish, for a lack of a better term lol. The Sierra Tipped GameKings are an example of a bullet with a harder lead alloy core. It took more heat to melt too lol.

Recent Posts