Building new rounds for a new gun

john171

Ok, what would the group consider the best starting point for the OCL.
I'm primarily a hunter but do bench shoot some to build accuracy and confidence.
I'm building 300 WM in a CA Mesa. 200g accubond, IMR4831. ( still have to do a ladder test of power) with this info I was thinking of starting 30 thousandths out from the lands. Any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated.
John

I've seen this video and it makes perfect sense. I guess I'll alt tell scared of finding "jam" properly. I'll give it a try thanks for pushing me into a new thought process.

I've seen this video and it makes perfect sense. I guess I'll alt tell scared of finding "jam" properly. I'll give it a try thanks for pushing me into a new thought process.
You're welcome, I haven't tried it yet, but am definitely going to proceed this way. Let me know how it works for you.

The video pretty much says it all. Eric is not well trained as a speaker or presenter, as a retired vocational teacher I found his presentation a bit tedious, but it is correct and similar to what I do. Here is an easy way to know where your bullet is in relationship to the lands which requires no measurement tools:

Make a dummy round with brass prepped as if you were going to load it. Seat the bullet long and polish the jacket of bullet with fine steel wool. If the bullet is deeply engaging the lands the bolt will be difficult to close. If too difficult remove the dummy and seat the bullet deeper by .005" and try again, repeat as needed. At some point you will be able to close the bolt with minor resistance. Remove the dummy round and study the bullet jacket near the ogive. There should be evenly spaced rectangular marks on the jacket. Continue to seat the bullet deeper in .003" increments and study the marks made by the lands. At some point the marks will become square and if you continue, they will no longer show on the jacket material. This is where you are very close, more or less "kissing" the lands.

Next see if the dummy will fit and feed from the magazine box. Sometimes it will but more often it will not. Seat the bullet at a distance that will fit and feed from magazine. If you subtract the difference between kissing and the fit distances, you have your jump. Quite frankly I am not concerned with this distance. As long as you won't be jamming the bullet and you can remove a loaded round in the field you are ready to load your ammo. It is worth mentioning, you should make several dummy rounds to ensure your magazine will accept them and feed all of them properly.

Once this is done you are ready to load your powder charges.

Hope this helps.

Ross