Ammo for breaking in a new gun.

C-130 Dude

What do you folks reccomend for ammo to break in a new gun? Got a shiny new Bergara HMR PRO in .308 for Christmas from my wife. Haven't had a new gun for Ionger than I can remember. Have a good process for shooting/cleaning, but ammo choices are too big these days. I used to just shoot what I intended to shoot after break in. But with ammo costs these days, no way. And I am not going to waist my good stash for breaking in. Too early to consider developing loads at this point. Will get around 200-250 rounds through it before getting down to development. What say you folks? What type of break in ammo?

I'd probably buy this (lower priced to higher priced):

or this (Loaded w/ 155gr AMAX):

or this (loaded w/ Berger 185 OTM's):

Personally, I'd probably splurge on a combo of the Hornady Black & Federal Gold Medal Match. I just don't like FMJ, but there's some linked below.

These guys have a lot in stock (they're local to me). They're good-to-go.

Priced low to high:

Why not break it in with what you plan to shoot out of it (handloads). Gives you a good idea if it likes it and you fire form your brass. Win win.

I guess I look at 250 rounds as well…250 rounds. Sure it will speed up, but just adjust as necessary.

I develop loads before my first one hundred rounds down the barrel with the understanding it will change a bit with FF cases and a hundred or so down the tube.

Federal GM308M , 308 Winchester Gold Medal 168gr Matchking, might as well see what she can do, right out of the gate. Good luck with it!

Best quality you can get for the cheapest price. But not surplus stuff.
Curious, why not surplus stuff? I assume your talking about 7.62x51 Winchester m80 or IMI 7.62x51 m80 ammo 149/150 grain. Or similar type. It's new unfired ammo. Whats wrong with it? I always fully inspect all ammo I use regardless of who makes it. No exception. And I have found several over the years that did manage to get by the factory QC process. Just curious.

Here's an option and I am pretty sure you're getting Lapua brass out of the deal

Here's an option and I am pretty sure you're getting Lapua brass out of the deal

Nice, thanks for the tip!

Great price and can vouch for them, I've ordered several times.
Norma has been running a 25% discount on their website the last few days and it's pretty decent ammo in the 308, I have some of it. They are in Savannah, Ga
$19.12 per box
https://ammoshoponline.us19.list-ma...e2ea7686327c22ab06&id=40bd51fd0f&e=38eeaa0e20

Last edited:
What do you folks reccomend for ammo to break in a new gun? Got a shiny new Bergara HMR PRO in .308 for Christmas from my wife. Haven't had a new gun for Ionger than I can remember. Have a good process for shooting/cleaning, but ammo choices are too big these days. I used to just shoot what I intended to shoot after break in. But with ammo costs these days, no way. And I am not going to waist my good stash for breaking in. Too early to consider developing loads at this point. Will get around 200-250 rounds through it before getting down to development. What say you folks? What type of break in ammo?
It sounds like cost is your primary concern…If you are going to reload in 250 rounds, why not just do it now? It will be cheaper than any loaded ammo you buy. And you can probably find inexpensive bullets if you want to save what you have.

ETA - here are some $.27/each bullets in stock.

Last edited: