Finding the "right" bullet for your gun without breaking the bank

back on thread... Finding the right bullet without breaking the bank, I would assume that applies to handloading in as much as it states 'bullet', not cartridge....

Yeah, I thought so too; at first. But then I saw "So, given the dozens and dozens of ammo choices out there, how do you pick an ammo that shoots best in your rifle without breaking the bank and spending $400 on ammo as part of an experiment? Any ideas?" and figured he was interested in factory stuff.
I recall when I first got involved with shooting activities that the technical terms for various components sometimes got in the way of explaining my own experiences. Truth be known, the generic terminology sometimes still creeps into my firearms vocabulary.

This is the same situation I was in a few years ago. I had my 300 WM rebarreled. My favorite factory loads, or any factory loads for that matter would shoot less than 2 inches at 100 yards. After spending hundreds of dollars on factory ammo, I finally gave up and bought a RCBS reloading kit. It took some work since I didn't have anyone to help me learn the art of reloading but I don't regret it for a second. In fact, I wish I would have done it long ago.

if you don't load, try federal premiums in the weight your gun liked, if they don't shoot well I would be very surprised. norm

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.