Building First custom rifle..Suggestions/Reccomendations

locotrician

Invisible
Hello,
I am in the process of building my first custom rifle. I am going for a " long range tactical" type rifle. I want it to be fairly heavy but still "carryable" i am planning on going with a 26-28 inch fluted barrel with a break of some type and i already have a rem 700 action and was planning on a mcmillan A5 stock but they wait time on those is hellish right now. as for caliber and cartridge im leaning toward the .300 dakota or possibly an allen xpress when i find the data on them. any suggestions appreciated

Locotrician, I would have Joel Russo build your stock. He makes awesome Laminated A-5 Replicas. He will have the stock to you in about 5 weeks and it will be much cheaper than the McMillan A-5 and just as good.

He inlets for all actions.

Just make a post asking for Joel Russo, and he will get back to you pretty quickly.

Wildcat

Sounds like the place for a 300 RUM !

I checked in to the 300 Dakota and it is a proprietary cartridge (you
have to buy the brass from them most of the time and they are
very proud of it.

Also it is based on a shortened 404 with a larger bolt face than the
magnum bolt face of the RUM.

If your Remington 700 action has the magnum bolt face it's allmost
just a rebarrel job and brass and loaded ammo is available.

Dont get me wrong I love the wildcats but only if they offer a significant
advantage over a factory cartridge.

Just my thoughs
J E CUSTOM

ok, well regarding the stock i didnt really want to go with a wood stock i was going for a fiberglass stock but i do appreciate the info and might end up going that way due to the cost and turn around time.

and in regards to the 300rum...i know it would be easier but im not going for easy and the data i have seen has shown the .300 dakota to be around 150-200 fps faster that a .300win so to me that is a signifigant difference for the wildcat over the .300win ,,,i thought about the .300rum for a while and just kinda decided to go with a wildcat...does anyone know the difference between the two off the top of thier head...in terms of velocity and case capacity and grains used in each ...efficency comparison?

thanks for the replies keep them coming.

On the stock---might consider Tom Manners as well. Don't want to hit this one too hard here but I have bought my last Micky stock. Too many problems (yes plural not just one but several) that should have been caught before they ever shipped to me or my Smith.

Dont know if they have anything you like but robertson composits make some nice f-class stocks and you can them pretty quickly.

The 300 RUM and the 300 Dakota are both based off of the 404 Jeffery...The 300 RUM is full lenght at 2.85" and the Dakota is shortened to 2.55"... According to Hornady the max powder charge for the Dakota and a 180 grain bullet with H-1000 is 83.6 grains,with R-25 the max charge is 83.3..The max charge with a 180 grain in the RUM with, H-1000 is 93.3 grains and for R-25 max charge is 95.3 grains...So the 300 RUM has a 10 to 12 grain powder capacity advantage.....

well I really appreciate all the replies im sure there are a lot of stock manufacurers that i dont know about out there i have been searching but any other reccomendations as to stocks?

If you want a wildcat, go with the 30 Hart. Basically a weatherby improved, shooting 180s at almost 3400. Bobby Hart at Robert W. Hart and Son Inc. stocks fireformed brass and dies and will chamber your barrel.

I am loading one for my brother, and I have it shooting the 180 interbonds at 3200 and it is a deer killing machine. Those are light loads for that too.

BH

thought about the .30hart a little but couldnt find any data even on the hart site i found nothing ...plus i dont like the double radius of the weatherby cases.

Lonnng Ranger

I just received my 338 Snipe-Tac from Dave Viers a couple weeks ago. This gun is AWESOME! If you want something to shoot out to 1500 yds. and beyond,, this is IT!!
VIERSCO.COM is the web site. The gun has a manners stock, Lawton 8000 action, Lawton 32" barrel, custom (VERY GOOD) muzzle Brake, and a Jewell trigger. Topped with the 5.5x22.56 NSX NightForce scope: I hate to be repetative, but it is AWESOME. With the gun I had a custom paint job put on it; and, Dave includes custome dies to work the necked-down CHEY-TAC brass. If you can imagine a 300gr Sierra Match King traveling down range at 3400fps (mv), the rest is just up to the shooter.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.