build or buy

I am not saying customs are bad - I just get tired of hearing how much better they always are and how it is the only way to go from custom gun snobs. I must be super lucky - I have never had a factory rifle shoot 2 moa. I have always been able to get them to shoot MOA or better with a little load development.

I am not saying customs are bad - I just get tired of hearing how much better they always are and how it is the only way to go from custom gun snobs. I must be super lucky - I have never had a factory rifle shoot 2 moa. I have always been able to get them to shoot MOA or better with a little load development.

Trust me, I really wish I could get factory rifles that would FIT and shoot to my expectations, however I have only had two that would consistently shoot and I mean group after group less than 1/2 MOA during the barrels life cycle. So, that is why I go the custom route and so far I have not been disappointed. I do have to agree with you in that you do take a beating on resale. Cheers!

Trust me, I really wish I could get factory rifles that would FIT and shoot to my expectations, however I have only had two that would consistently shoot and I mean group after group less than 1/2 MOA during the barrels life cycle. So, that is why I go the custom route and so far I have not been disappointed. I do have to agree with you in that you do take a beating on resale. Cheers!
What do you mean fit? Are you talking length of pull?

Thats funny - i have found it super easy to find a 1/2 moa factory rifle. I must just be lucky. In fact every rifle I own is factory and they are all 1/2 moa shooters...i've got quite a few of them.

There are people that like to buy parts and build custom stuff in almost any sport. I've done it with most of mine. I played the AR game and ended up building crazy custom stuff. Before I got the rifle bug and merely hunted I did it with fast cars. No boat I've ever owned has been stock either. I just like to tinker I guess. I have some great factory guns and have enjoyed my first full custom bolt gun.

Luckily while custom bolt guns are expensive it's got nothing on horsepower and cubic inches. Makes me feel like I'm practically saving money :eek:

I've had a few factory rifles shoot pretty good but this is why I like customs..
2" group at 840 yards with my simple Remaged 7-300 WSM shooting 195's at 2900 fps. Again a prime example of a cartridges potential when throated properly, Im loading them to 3.2" OAL
IMG_20181209_123853723.jpg

OK, well now that we have established that all custom gun owners are snobs and factory rifles don't shoot for squat.......LOL

I am leaning toward a more affordable custom (the APR rifles look very nice for the money). Most of the upper end production rifles I am looking at are $2-$3Kish anyway. I do not like any of the factory combo's of stock style and weight below that price range anyway.

I am pretty dead set on 300WM due to quality factory ammo (yes, I reload, but don't want to HAVE to) available **** near everywhere and solid performance especially with the heavier stuff available now.

I am thinking 26" Proof in a 1:9 or 1:10, can't decide. I feel like 215's will do fine in a 1:10 and still shoot everything lighter than that no problem. Will 1:9 cause issues with anything down to 165's let's say?

OK, well now that we have established that all custom gun owners are snobs and factory rifles don't shoot for squat.......LOL

I am leaning toward a more affordable custom (the APR rifles look very nice for the money). Most of the upper end production rifles I am looking at are $2-$3Kish anyway. I do not like any of the factory combo's of stock style and weight below that price range anyway.

I am pretty dead set on 300WM due to quality factory ammo (yes, I reload, but don't want to HAVE to) available ---- near everywhere and solid performance especially with the heavier stuff available now.

I am thinking 26" Proof in a 1:9 or 1:10, can't decide. I feel like 215's will do fine in a 1:10 and still shoot everything lighter than that no problem. Will 1:9 cause issues with anything down to 165's let's say?

For the record - not all custom gun owners are snobs...just the ones who think the only way to get an accurate rifle is to build a custom. ;)

The thing custom builders don't want the industry to know is with modern manufacturing CNC equipment MOST ( but not all ) factory rifles are more then capable of shooting 1/2" ( or better ) with proper load development when you find a accuracy node in YOUR rifle .....often times with FACTORY Ammo !! Start with several primium factory hunting loads and as long as scope mount, shoting rest & shooter do their job , I'd be willing to bet you can find a 1/2" group with a factory gun and ammo for a fraction of the cost of a custom build . Once u are set for hunting you can work on handload work up in you free time !! My passion is custom builds and load work up but I have been setting up factory rifles with factory Ammo for several buddies that don't want to handload and I gotta say ....... it's not hard at all to set up a low cost accurate rifle !! I think the industry is on the way to a change in thinking in the very near future !! Custom builders take note .......3k & up for custom rifle only .....sales are going to start slowing way down when this gets out in a large scale . You will start seeing ( custom guns ) at a lower price point to compeat !

This thread is very entertaining!! I am on both sides of the fence. I have customs and factory rifles. All are comfortable and shoot the way I want them too. However, this thread is about you, not us. There is really no such thing IMHO as "lower end custom" rifles. Now this is a argumentative crowd in here so I might get some criticism, but custom rifles are built by gunsmiths that aren't willing to cut corners to save money. Now I know there are these smiths out there and therefore you need to be diligent and find a reputable one. The last thing you want to do is buy used up parts to put a beautiful rifle together and find out it doesn't shoot up to your expectations. So my suggestion is a Remington Sendero cambered in 300 win. Certainly not the lightest gun, but boy are they comfortable and shoot great right out of the box. Very accurate for a factory rifle. Buy yourself a good scope and you'll be shooting a factory gun that is accurate. If you want to go the custom/semi custom route, make sure you take your time and find the right parts and smith to do the job you expect.

Jayson

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.