build my 700 or buy a sendero

my82cam

Guys, I am trying to decide if I should buy a 700 SPS and have it squared and a new flutted barrel or if I should just buy a SS sendero in 30 06? I think the sendero would be cheaper in the long run, but would it shoot as well as a custom barreled SPS? I am trying to build a good 600-700 yard deer rifle, it will be topped with talley 1 piece rings and zeiss conquest scope with target scopes. thanks for the advice.

Or you can go down to the pawn shop gun store and buy an older used savage for next to not much at all with a bolt face appropriate to the caliber you want, have it rebarreled and, install a what ever aftermarket stock you want

I'm guessing you are "plus one"ing the sendero buy? I have been looking at the sendero SF II in 300 WM I think that would make a better deer/elk gun at 600 700 yards than an 30 06. I will be reloading for it also. I would like to hear some first hand experiences with the sendero to see how well they actually do shoot.

no plus one on the savage.

the sendero i had was a 7mm mag and it didnt preform to par. not worth the money they ask for them.

Well no doubt the senderos are fantastic rilfes but ill say this. I picked up a sps matte blued 06 about 5 years ago. Darned thing is about the most accurate rilfe i own. It will shoot about anything into an inch at a 100 yards and its favorite load using cheap ww powerpoint 150s goes just over a 1/2 for 5 shots at a 100 yards. Sure your much more likely to get an accurate sendero but i doubt its going to shoot a bit better then my sps. Becaue of the way it shoots i ever tossed the plastic stock and picked up a nice cdl stock for it and now its not only very accurate but is pretty darned good looking to boot. It would probably be the last rifle id ever part with. So there you have it. Do you spend 500 bucks and take the chance of getting a great one like i did and if not then rebarreling it or do you spend 1200 on a sendero. One more advantage ill claim for mine is its a much more compact and light hunting rifle.

Ive had two senderos and they shoot .75 and under. My buddy has two and they shoot as well.

Guys, I am trying to decide if I should buy a 700 SPS and have it squared and a new flutted barrel or if I should just buy a SS sendero in 30 06? I think the sendero would be cheaper in the long run, but would it shoot as well as a custom barreled SPS? I am trying to build a good 600-700 yard deer rifle, it will be topped with talley 1 piece rings and zeiss conquest scope with target scopes. thanks for the advice.

How about this, buy the Sendero and shoot it now and start your semi custom or complete custom build off the sendero. You can have any of the custom work done between hunting seasons. You can buy parts (new barrel, trigger, stock etc...) as you get the money and have any work done when your not using the rifle. The sendero will serve you well until you get it like you want it. My biggest concern would be if I could get by with the twist rate of the senderos barrel until I could have it changed. If it will stabalize the bullets you want to shoot then your good to go I say, but thats just my opinion...

That's how I got started. Bought the Sendero 7mag and up graded over the years. I would re-think 30-06 and go with the 7 or 300 mag. I can promise you that if you kill a deer at 6-700 yds, then you'll want 8-900 and then breaking the 1000 yd barrier will be the goal. Don't think the 06 will carry you thru the journey. I'm currently trying to pass the 1000 yd mark, just can't get a deer to co-operate.

I already have an sps(actually a buckmaster) with a bell and carlson stock and a timney trigger, shoots half inch groups with handloads. I have decided to go with a sendero sf II in 300 win mag, found out they don't make a sendero in a 30-06. lol I may change the stock on the sendero to a lighter stock, the factory stock has the real large forearm and is pretty heavy. I think a slow build on a good solid sendero will make a killer long range gun over the years! I'm sure I will have more and more questions soon enough! lol thanks guys

You should have just got the cheapest 700 you could find if your just going to build it and change everything that makes it a sendero

You should have just got the cheapest 700 you could find if your just going to build it and change everything that makes it a sendero

I agree but bought the Sendero. I was able to use the stock in the custom build. Is the 700 SPS stock good enough for a custom build, is my only ? If the stock is good enough you don't have to add another stock so you save some,

Thanks,Keith

I bought a Sendero 7 Mag last year to replace an SPS 7 Mag I had. Great decision. Love the gun, shoots better than I probably can. I used it to hunt with, a little heavy but nothing a shoulder strap can't fix. Great gun. Would buy a dozen more if I could.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.