Buffalobob - Rube Goldberg - Shooting/Walking Stix

royinidaho

Noticed your remark regarding grass and bipods on another thread. Didn't want to hijack it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

(Hope the pic comes up otherwise it'll be a url.

All parts available at your local farm and ranch store and local saddle maker and the local shoe shine shop. (like you have a bunch of those on the Potomac well maybe the shoe shine shop..!!)

Parts list:
2 - fiberglass electric fencs posts. About 3/16" diameter white sharp on one end and 4' long.

1 - 2" X 11" piece of chap leather. Or maybe a hunk of the sleeve of your wife's leather coat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Some brown (my pref) shoe sole edge dressing.

Some bargs leather cement or equiv.

Hey for that matter use any material you can addapt. I adapted the design from one a local fertilizer truck driver made.

I hand stitched the the leather to make a sleeve over the fence rod. Used the rod as the form.

When both were stitched I globbed some leather cement on the rod and slipped them over.

Used the edge dressing to turn the rods brown. Use removed a bunch of it in a random manner and camo'd well for snow or not snow.

The secret is that they are not hinged or pivoted. Just cross them to get the height you need at the time. Also if you are on a stool (not the stool) they make a pretty fair chin rest.

I use them in conjunction with a 3-legged stool. Keeps my butt out of the snow pluss I can see over the sage brush.

Also a decent spotting scope and LRF rest.

I find them useful.

FWIW

Stix

Squat, am I the only one that can't post a pic??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Squat, am I the only one that can't post a pic??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! Click on the 'image' then paste in the link.

332Shooting-Sticks-med.jpg

Roy

I was thinking about something like that but didn't know what parts to use. I tried to tie two shooting sticks together but there was no place to put the gun. You know how finicky a #1 is about what you rest the forearm on.

I am also researching a tripod or small table with telescoping legs that is back packable.

Tomorrow is the last day of rifle deer season (except for a two day hunt in January) and we finally got some snow. I am holding out for a long shot. I will either get my chance tomorrow at 800+ yds or it will be a deerless season.

I have two new inventions that I am waiting on the US Patent office to get registered and then I will post them. One of them is the Pythagorean Gravitational Vector Analyzer and the other is the Thermodynamic Velocity Booster. More details to follow.

[ QUOTE ]
I am also researching a tripod or small table with telescoping legs that is back packable.

Pythagorean Gravitational Vector Analyzer and the other is the Thermodynamic Velocity Booster. More details to follow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tried the backpackable bench thing last year for coyotes. Was kind of ok but was quickly replaced by a set of sitting bipods.

Really could use one of those pathagorion things. I notice, now that I'm shooting looooooong range that the earth's rotation and gravitational differences of granite and lava rock are factors. I have the earth's rotation figgered out but when hunting up and down the Lost River Valley the shot tends to be pulled towards Mt. Borah, ID's tallest mtn.

Don'tcha just love those #1s. My 375 doesn't much care about the forearm rest. Guess its unique.

Good luck!

[ QUOTE ]
was quickly replaced by a set of sitting bipods.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying you use two of those things. One for the front and one for the rear. How far can you shoot accurately like that. These whitetail deer here are really tiny. Much more of a challenging target. Not too much bigger than an antelope.

Long bipods on the front for when butt (mine not rifle's)is on the ground.

When using the 3 legged stool then I use the sticks. Also use the sticks as walking sticks for walk & stalk. If I see a yote moving I can kneel quickly and steady with the stick w/o setting it up.

When I'm facing one way and partner is facing the other and I'm on the stool then I set up the stick. I try to get prone but that works only about 10% of the time.

Cobble up a prototype and see what its like. Yotes are smaller than your white tails.

Today would have been a great day for yotes but installed a tile floor in one of the bathrooms. Two more to go......

See next post for Pic.

Roy in Idaho, Have you tried the folding shooting sticks like Stoney Point? I love the bipod shooting sticks, but have a problem with the solid ones like you use. I have a hunting partner who uses the soild sticks. I can always locate him in the woods, and especially in rimrock areas because of his sticks. When you use them like a walking staff, the swinging motion of moving them sticks out like a sore thumb. If I can spot the motion, what do you think an old wise muley can do? Just my field experience with the solid sticks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

332Stool-_-Stix-med.jpg

I hang the stool from my belt. Can be seen above the yotes hips. Can walk & stalk and setup as necessary. Upper pic before bipod, lower pic after bipod. Also gsve that rifle to my son. Have a speciality yote rifle on order.
332Dog-2-2-7-04-med.jpg

Gone huntin
I have everything already. I just didn't know it fiitted together.

I bowhunt a lot so got all that stuff. Got children so I got some old children's tents with fiberglass poles.

I mess up my cars' engines a lot so I got plenty of fuel line.

[ QUOTE ]
Tomorrow is the last day of rifle deer season (except for a two day hunt in January) and we finally got some snow. I am holding out for a long shot. I will either get my chance tomorrow at 800+ yds or it will be a deerless season.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Film is being developed.

Story is rated R for violence, gratoituos gore, graphic sex, full frontal nudity, offensive language and excessive stupidty.

Should I line up at the theater @ midnight to get a seat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif For ya.

I'm anticipating a success story, with all of the details. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Here's the cobbled up thinger I mentioned on the other thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Got the idea from a video where the guide turned his spotting scope sideways and the shooter layed the rifle on the spotting scope.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gifWas working on both the stock and the rest thinger. As you can see I "finished" the tripod idea at dark:30. Once ya get going ya gotta go to the end. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

BTW, that new piece of wood on the butt represents how much the previous owner had chopped off. Also the angle was a real shoulder slammer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

From the arrangement shown several groups were shot the next day @ about 1.5 MOA @ 200. Which was down from about 6 MOA using nothing. The thing was "fabricated" for and tested with the 338 Win before installation of the Holland brake. And if I must say so myself, it held up right well.

Your problem back there would be that 1000s of other hunters would laugh at cha. Here I usually only see me when I'm out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gifExcept for those who stumble on threads like this, I get off pretty much scott free /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Hide your eyes. This could turn ya to salt! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
332Tripod-Rest-med.jpg

Roy,

Did you try using rear sticks to steady the butt rather than the strut? This is a pic of when I was playing with this idea; for rear sticks I'm using 2 cut-off tripod legs bound at the top with web tape. Accuracy was very good because I could bear down heavily on the rear 'sticks' and therefore had no side-to-side wobble:
P3230190mk2.jpg

P3220178.jpg

45.jpg

...but as you say, carrying all these bits around is something where you don't want to be bumping into other people.....fielding all the 'amusing' comments isn't worth it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif!

Interested in the strut; what did you use to make it (and how is it attached to the tripod?). Were you happy with it in terms of lateral wobble? Strikes me that it could be a winner to rotate the tripod head 45degrees and have a double strut...any thoughts?

....apologies that turned into '20 questions' at the end /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.