Shooting bags

Tgunz64

Looking into the Caldwell Tack Driver bag or the Midway USA Gripper bag. Anyone here use either of these and what are your thoughts? Thank you.

I use the Dog Gone Good Shooting Bag. I've used this for 5 years and it has worked out really well. I don't see it being replaced anytime soon.

When I purchased it, it came without the stuffing material. Much cheaper for shipping.

I used plastic beads I purchased off of ebay. Some people use rice, corn cob media, etc.. The reason I use plastic beads is the weather. My bag has been wet numerous times and it never swells up, smells, etc..

Edited: Not sure how you want to use your bag. After posting this, I remembered another good bag to use in the field. The above mentioned bag works well from a bench, truck hood, tailgate, etc., but if your working the fields this is the better option.

Claw Bag - The claw bag works very well from a fence post, fallen tree, tractor wheel, etc.

Last edited:
I use the Dog Gone Good Shooting Bag. I've used this for 5 years and it has worked out really well. I don't see it being replaced anytime soon.

When I purchased it, it came without the stuffing material. Much cheaper for shipping.

I used plastic beads I purchased off of ebay. Some people use rice, corn cob media, etc.. The reason I use plastic beads is the weather. My bag has been wet numerous times and it never swells up, smells, etc..

Edited: Not sure how you want to use your bag. After posting this, I remembered another good bag to use in the field. The above mentioned bag works well from a bench, truck hood, tailgate, etc., but if your working the fields this is the better option.

Claw Bag - The claw bag works very well from a fence post, fallen tree, tractor wheel, etc.
Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for one mainly for bench shooting. Sighting in and occasional target shooting. I don't really carry bags into the field. Where I live and hunt I don't find it to be a necessity to have on hand hunting. But I'll look into those. Maybe one will work out.

I have the Caldwell Tack Driver and really like it at the Range.
I also have used it in a couple deer blinds with great success

Bought an unfilled front and rear set and filled with super lightweight plastic beads. My mistake. They are so lightweight and the beads so slippery they don't allow me to hold the rifle very steady. Suggest you select a more stable filler if you buy unfilled bags.

Looking into the Caldwell Tack Driver bag or the Midway USA Gripper bag. Anyone here use either of these and what are your thoughts? Thank you.
Those will likely work great but if you want something you use at the range and easily carry in the field take a look at Phoenix Shooting bags. We carry them on all our western hunts. They are very tough and very light weight.

Those will likely work great but if you want something you use at the range and easily carry in the field take a look at Phoenix Shooting bags. We carry them on all our western hunts. They are very tough and very light weight.

Looking for something with a little weight to it for more stability. It's not going to be carried out in the field. Even if it weighs 15-20 pounds that's fine with me. Something that won't make my 300 PRC jump like the bipod does. at least on a hard bench it does.

Called Dog Gone today for prices but no answer. Left a message. We'll see if they call back.

Looking for something with a little weight to it for more stability. It's not going to be carried out in the field. Even if it weighs 15-20 pounds that's fine with me. Something that won't make my 300 PRC jump like the bipod does. at least on a hard bench it does.
Oh, you can you these on a bench as well. With the rifle set on these bags it will simply slide straight back into your shoulder. Most rifles will jump shooting off a bipod on a hard surface. If you are looking for a setup to shoot groups off a bench I have found having an adjustable front rest like a Rock BR Competition front rest then a good shaped rear rest like a rabbit ear rear shooting bag, like a Protektor Custom Super Slick. This setup will allow fine adjustments for sighting in and shooting groups then will enhance the rifle slide factor so it recoils straight back.

I have the Caldwell, its a comfortable bag and works pretty darn well. Its heavy for sure, definitely wouldn't pack it much more than 100 yards but I bought it for range work so it serves that purpose.

X2 for the Dog Gone Good Bag. The man that sells them is very nice and very easy to work with and the bag is outstanding especially when shooting off a bench.
Just spoke with him literally 2 minutes ago. Yes he seems very nice. Sounds like they don't make many bags anymore since he said he's now 87 years old. He quoted me $120 plus $15 shipping on the large bag. That is unfilled. He cant get the media he used to get anymore at a good price so he stopped filling them. Sounds like a quality bag. But 135 for an empty bag and then have to buy media is a lot. But then again I'd like to support someone like him as well and kind of want to buy it for that reason. It made with 1000 denier and double stitched nylon and leather sounds like a nice bag for sure. Decisions decisions.

Uncle Buds Pro-Series Hi Bench Rest 10

This is what I have. I filled with cat litter, not as heavy as sand but much heavier than beads. I like that I can also use for AR's since it is tall enough to clear magazines (at least 20 rounders) and grip. In full disclosure I don't use it often and have found I get better accuracy with bipods. Most likely I am the problem but as I don't use it a lot I have not figured it out yet.

When I really want to know about accuracy I have a crappy Caldwell front rest with a very nice joystick top on it and some high quality rear bags. My guns are not benchrest guns so I usually add one of those plates or adapters up front to mimic BR type forends.

JB

I use Caldwell tack driver X bags, the ones that resemble jacks from the ball and jacks kids game. I have the large and small ones and use home made sandbags on top of them to better cradle the rifle and adjust for elevation.

X bag

Recent Posts