Buddy wants one rifle for everything...?

I did recommend 7-08 and 7 MM mag but the 30-06 will do everything very well. I like the 308 but 1200 yards is a little bit long for it. Hunting under 400 Yards and targets to 1200 are very different scope wise depending on terrain and game.

Well I jave two cartridges in mind. One is the 6.5PRC it's new and will be around for a while most likely. The other is the 7mm-08 AI. The 708AI will do everything as well. You can still shoot factory rounds reliably and accurately. But the 708AI with a 150gr Partition at 3000fps will tip anything over including a good majority of African game and is used regularly.

.338 WM Browning X Bolt.
I have shot everything from Blacktail deer, Black bear, Grizzly bear, Bison, Elk, and Moose.
Very little meat loss on small deer to the largest moose.
Barns TTSX .225 gr.

Another list on Local classifieds Savage Tactical 300 WM Vortex scope 5x25 with AICS Mags asking 1,400.00 easy 1300 to 1200
Just look at Local Classifieds tons of people looking to unload guns too pay Xmas bills.

with that budget, i'd go with something tried and true like a .30-06, 7mm, or 300 win mag. if you're loading for him, you can find a recipe the gun likes. ammo will be plentiful if he runs out of reloads.

^^^
Wondering how long it'd take for the 6.5 Creed to show 😑
It wasn't suggest it was in response to someone saying you can't shoot paper at 1200 yards with a 280 AI, so I said if you can shoot paper with a 6.5 Creedmoor at 1200 yards you sure can shoot a 280 AI. No one suggested a Creed.

@Tidus56 and @Creedmoor shooter : 7mm Mag is pretty dang hard to beat, but I don't see any factory rifles that have enough twist for my taste. I looked at some factory ammo options, and 2200 fps at 400 yds is not a sure thing, although there's some get you there with some room to spare (e.g. Barnes LRX). Even reloading, with a 1:9.5 twist, you can't take advantage of the mid-weight Hammer Hunters.

@WWP2012 regarding paper and steel, it would just be some fun plinking (and wind practice) in a big wheat field. 1 MOA is sufficient, which I think most decent factory rifles will do. Without me to motivate him, I doubt he'll be doing it otherwise, so I'd almost certainly be hand loading all his target ammo.

Regarding 6.5 PRC, I consider it to be the "bare minimum" to achieve #1, as we're both "more than enough gun" kinda guys. With copper bullets, I just don't like the energy levels at 400 yds for elk. By no means saying it's not doable, I just like to see 2200 fps and 1500 ftlbs or more. Also, I only see 2 factory options in copper (Nosler E-Tip 120 gr, and Barnes 127 LRX). Definitely a contender though.

@memtb I think 338WM is a bit more than needed. He already has an old Winchester 670 in 300WM. It shoots OK, but he's looking for something a little more modern, and is excited about just "getting a new rifle".

@Shane Lindsey No doubt the old 06 will get her done, but IMO, the 7mm will do everything it will and more. Economy and rifle/ammo options are unparalleled though.
True on the 7mm mags and factory configurations. I forget it needed to be a factory gun.

1) All ungulates to 400 yds (deer mostly, but elk, moose, etc will almost certainly be tackled occasionally).

2) Steel and paper to 800 plus (occasionally out to 1200 just for giggles on big targets).

3) $1500 for scope and rifle.

4) Factory rifle most likely (see #3).

5) I'll load for him, perhaps indefinitely, but reasonably common factory ammo is a must.

6) He only hunts with lead free. So it needs to have a good factory option in copper (see #5). He's cool with slinging lead at paper/steel, but verboten on animals.

7) He can handle recoil, but I'd like to steer him towards "a bit more than minimum" that will get the job done, so a factory rifle with a brake is a high priority, but not a deal breaker.

So...

Rifle?

Scope?

Cartridge?

I have my own opinions, but would love to hear from the peanut gallery. Just stay in the lane. None of the above 7 points can be violated and keep him happy. He's not a high volume shooter, but I'd like to push him that direction, so keep economy in mind too.
I have had some good experiences with the follow 3 value priced scope lines. A scope in the 14-18 power will be more than enough for 800-1000 on paper and 400 on game. I've shot a lot of steel out to 1000 yards using a 4.5-14 Leupold.
  • Leupold VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 SF CDS-ZL $750ish
  • Meopta Optika6 3-18x50 FFP $699ish, there are several Optika6 models that might fit the price range
  • Leupold Mark 3HD 4-12x40 $599ish
I have had some good experiences with the follow 3 value priced rifles.
  • Tikka T3x, $600-$900 range - there are many models, I would lean towards a sporter weight barrel or heavier fluted barrel version
  • Sauer 100 Ceratech Rifle $899
  • Mauser M18 Savanna $699 - euro optic
For cartridge the 2 bread and butter travel anywhere in the world medium magnums 7mm Rem and 300 Win would be my primary focus. Both have more than enough power at 400 yards to take anything you mentioned. Its more or a less a coin toss and you can hunt just about anywhere in the world and find ammo for either.

There are a lot a great cartridges out there. I'd chose these 2 for their flexibility across the hunting landscape and their more than needed horse power for deer, elk, and moose.

Most of these combos will be in the $1500-$1700 range.

30-06: With a 210 gr ABLR @ 2550 FPS you have 1,000# energy at 1,000 yds. And a 110 gr anything: you can shoot ants!

Palma load, varget and 155 smk
2660 fps mv is 50,450 psi @ 95% load density, and the bullet is subsonic at 1200 yds, barely supersonic at 1100 (1080 fps). If using more Varget to achieve 100% load density (MV 2796 fps), then pressure is 55,450 and at 1,200 yds that bullet is going 1080 fps.

1) All ungulates to 400 yds (deer mostly, but elk, moose, etc will almost certainly be tackled occasionally).

2) Steel and paper to 800 plus (occasionally out to 1200 just for giggles on big targets).

3) $1500 for scope and rifle.

4) Factory rifle most likely (see #3).

5) I'll load for him, perhaps indefinitely, but reasonably common factory ammo is a must.

6) He only hunts with lead free. So it needs to have a good factory option in copper (see #5). He's cool with slinging lead at paper/steel, but verboten on animals.

7) He can handle recoil, but I'd like to steer him towards "a bit more than minimum" that will get the job done, so a factory rifle with a brake is a high priority, but not a deal breaker.

So...

Rifle?

Scope?

Cartridge?

I have my own opinions, but would love to hear from the peanut gallery. Just stay in the lane. None of the above 7 points can be violated and keep him happy. He's not a high volume shooter, but I'd like to push him that direction, so keep economy in mind too.
I am a big fan of the 28 Nosler performance wise for all lower 48 states big game. Can get more load details if this is the direction you shift