Buddy wants one rifle for everything...?

1) All ungulates to 400 yds (deer mostly, but elk, moose, etc will almost certainly be tackled occasionally).

2) Steel and paper to 800 plus (occasionally out to 1200 just for giggles on big targets).

3) $1500 for scope and rifle.

4) Factory rifle most likely (see #3).

5) I'll load for him, perhaps indefinitely, but reasonably common factory ammo is a must.

6) He only hunts with lead free. So it needs to have a good factory option in copper (see #5). He's cool with slinging lead at paper/steel, but verboten on animals.

7) He can handle recoil, but I'd like to steer him towards "a bit more than minimum" that will get the job done, so a factory rifle with a brake is a high priority, but not a deal breaker.

So...

Rifle?

Scope?

Cartridge?

I have my own opinions, but would love to hear from the peanut gallery. Just stay in the lane. None of the above 7 points can be violated and keep him happy. He's not a high volume shooter, but I'd like to push him that direction, so keep economy in mind too.
In my opinion (You can take it or leave it) The cartridge needs to be at or above a 6.5. In the magnums you would want a good brake. The brand of rifle I would choose either a Howa or Tika. Both are affordable and Howa guarantees sub moa out of box. Leaves around 800 to 900 dollars for a scope. Which I like the ziess conquest 4v. In that price range.( love the huskema but it is higher priced). I have a Howa 338 with muzzle brake topped with a ziess conquest and love it.

Since you are talking Moose I would be more confident with a 300 WM although 7mm RM would get the job done.

You biggest limiting factor is all copper ammo…. The BC on the TTSX rounds are not as efficient as some other higher BC options (ie. VLD, ELDX, etc…)

In your budget I would look for a Tikka.. add a Brake and get the best scope I could afford.

1) All ungulates to 400 yds (deer mostly, but elk, moose, etc will almost certainly be tackled occasionally).

2) Steel and paper to 800 plus (occasionally out to 1200 just for giggles on big targets).

3) $1500 for scope and rifle.

4) Factory rifle most likely (see #3).

5) I'll load for him, perhaps indefinitely, but reasonably common factory ammo is a must.

6) He only hunts with lead free. So it needs to have a good factory option in copper (see #5). He's cool with slinging lead at paper/steel, but verboten on animals.

7) He can handle recoil, but I'd like to steer him towards "a bit more than minimum" that will get the job done, so a factory rifle with a brake is a high priority, but not a deal breaker.

So...

Rifle?

Scope?

Cartridge?

I have my own opinions, but would love to hear from the peanut gallery. Just stay in the lane. None of the above 7 points can be violated and keep him happy. He's not a high volume shooter, but I'd like to push him that direction, so keep economy in mind too.
Sauer 6.5PRC (if you can find ammo). Top it with a Nikon scope if you can find one. Nikon quit the scope business but you can find them at a huge discount. If not go with Vortex. Total won't exceed $11-1200.

I agree with creedmore there is no realistic expectation for a rifle and scope combo to shoot those distances at $1500 is the browning x bolt in the 7M rem mag is a great option you're looking at at at least $800 for a decent scope so you are closer to $2000 before it is all said and done

Cannot beat a Savage brand. Cousin bought one for his son for Xmas. 3 holes touching with the scope that came with it. unbelievable accurate out of the box. With the new BC bullets 7mm way to go. Coyote to moose. MD

6.5 Creedmoor Ruger American, reliable brand of 3- 18 scope NOT made in China. Decent rings and sling.

OR get a Browning X- Bolt as "Creedmoor shooter" advises and save for a good scope or GOOD USED SCOPE. This is likely the best way to go.

I assume they hunt already and own a rifle capable of handling step 1?

If so get a gun suited to target shooting. That way both endeavors have a rifle well suited to the task and more fun.

I mean I love my lightweight Kimber 30-06 but it's no fun for plinking. I love me a bull barreled 223 but it would stink for deer hunting.

I see a lot of recommendations for the 6.5 (260), 6.8(270), 7mm (284). While all these will do the job, if Moose are on the table to 400 yards, none of them are really adequate. The minimum recommendation for a bull moose is 2200 lbs of energy, that means the minimum cartridge capable is a 7mm rem Mag running 175 grain pills. Because he is hunting in bear country I would recommend at least a 30 cal for stopping power and a larger exit wound. Anything smaller is just in my opinion risky at best. The 30/06 will do the trick and foot the bill. I have several friends who used the 06 exclusively for everything. That said, as I recommended earlier I believe in using enough gun, not the minimum, that for me is the tried and true 300 WM, especially since factory ammo is a consideration. The 300 WM checks all the boxes and with the exception of dangerous African game is enough gun for just about anything he would every hunt and will ring steel to a mile. The new Gucci cartridges are fun I own several (6.5 Creedmoor, 284 Winchester, 6.5x284 Norma, 7 SAUM) but they are not Moose medicine. My personal favorite cartridge for Alaska is the 338 RUM or Edge but they are a little much for a new shooter who does not hand load. JMO

Model 70 EW in 270 or 7 RM

Scope with a 3-9 SWFA and rock on

Real world how much steel shooting is he doing right now at long ranges?

Easy for me !
300 ultra mag, no problem with light loads and Moose would definitely not like a 230 gr . Berger .
You said you would be loading for him !!
# 2 is easy ! I smacked a milk jug at a mile ( 1760 yards ! ) with the 230 gr bergers !
Now I would jump on a Vortex pst 4 x 16 or a 6 x 24 they pop up all the time on here . Same with brass and dies ...my Wife and I have put most of the 43+ critters on the wall with the 300 Rum !
You can load 150 gr up to a 230 gr. bullet for any choice of Game intended.
Just my 2 cents !

Rum Man

IF hunting in California, that is the only bullet that is legal.

For the guys that are recommending the .308, what recipe are you using that will keep the bullet supersonic at 1,200 yards??
175-190 grain pills SMKs, ABLRs, ABs W760 47-48 grains 2600+ with a 24" tube is supersonic to 1300+. We shoot 1250 pretty regularly, makes shooting the Gucci calibers seem like a cake walk. Would not recommend it for the OPs purposes but it is doable.

I would lean towards a plain old 30-06. Ammo and components speak for themselves. Plenty for killing our further than stated.
Scour the classifieds for glass as mentioned. Maybe a VX3-LR or a Vortex in the HST line.

although as mentioned just scour classifieds.
Backing this up with:
youtu.be/viUkA1FyjGM

Recent Posts