One caliber, two chamberings to cover everything hunting

T
I am not saying that we should, it was a friendly discussion to see how everyone would come to their decision.

I have a variety of everything from a 22lr to a 450 Marlin.

But, if a member was on a budget, this thread might show them that they could invest in 2 rifles within one caliber and cover the majority of his hunting.

Saying that, I thought about it more and while most agree that the 6.5 is marginal, but think the 7mm is better suited to accomplish my original question.

I was looking at data, it's possible that the 7 SAUM and 28 Nosler would probably be great choices. I don't know, it's just a discussion and I am enjoying everyone's replies.
Tongue in cheek buddy. And actually the bigger the bullet possibly the better. I love varmint hunting so .24's would be high on the list. But huge cased 24's still aren't my choice for deer or bigger. And since I tend to not shoot at any unwounded "big game" at over 300 yards any more I really could get by with a 6.5 Swede to a 375 Ouch and Ouch and be happy.

I am not saying that we should, it was a friendly discussion to see how everyone would come to their decision.

But, if a member was on a budget, this thread might show them that they could invest in 2 rifles within one caliber and cover the majority of his hunting.

Saying that, I thought about it more and while most agree that the 6.5 is marginal, but think the 7mm is better suited to accomplish my original question.

I was looking at data, it's possible that the 7 SAUM and 28 Nosler would probably be great choices. I don't know, it's just a discussion and I am enjoying everyone's replies.
When I was an apprentice, and very poor, I had 3 secondhand rifles…then we had our famous gun ban in 1996. I had to hand over my 22rf, mini 14 and my semi auto shotgun, only rifle left was a sporter Mauser '96 in 6.5x55. I used the buyback money to buy a 22, a Brno (CZ) bolt action. It was some time before I bought another centrefire, the 6.5x55 had to cover everything from roo's through large deer for a long time.

Cheers.

I've really enjoyed this thread!!
Really made me think about what could be done with two chamberings….. but I'm not going to cut back to just one caliber!
It would also make a huge difference where a person lived too.

The way I read into the question, if your reasoning is to simplify component stocking, I would go the route of using the same brass and maybe powder but different calibers. To me one caliber to cover all would still require 2 different bullets and still be somewhat limiting on both ends of the spectrum.

I decided years ago to try (unsuccessfully) to simplify my life. I decided to shoot just 7mm. I've shot everything from javelina to bull elk with 168 gr. Berger VLDH at 2850 fps from my WSM. Just for fun, I usually hunt javelina with my 7mm TCU Contender carbine using varmit bullets. 7mm works fine for black bear and elk and smaller, but if I were hunting in grizzly country, I'd go with a .41 or better. Magnum rifles and high velocity work fine, but for normal hunting ranges, aren't necessary.

Here in NM, if I want to hunt every year, I have to hunt deer and elk with a muzzleloader, and now with no scope for my old eyes.

30-06 and 300 RUM.

Everything from 110gn to 245gn bullets, all the way up to 4000 FPS shooting monos.

Nothing has ever complained after being shot by something too BIG. But you might not find anything shot with something to small to ask if it even hurt. 😂

Fun to think of only having two, but the serious fact is a 30-06 then a 22LR would be the last two things I ever let go of.

30-06 and 300 RUM.

Everything from 110gn to 245gn bullets, all the way up to 4000 FPS shooting monos.

Nothing has ever complained after being shot by something too BIG. But you might not find anything shot with something to small to ask if it even hurt. 😂

Fun to think of only having two, but the serious fact is a 30-06 then a 22LR would be the last two things I ever let go of.
I know MANY older fellas in my neck of the woods who have hunted everything there is to hunt around here (and some in other regions too) for their entire lives…and who have never owned more than three firearms: a 12 gauge, a 30-06, and a 22lr. Some of them have muzzleloaders too to take advantage of a better season but that's it. There are better tools for certain jobs but there are very few jobs where one of those three isn't a perfectly appropriate tool.

I decided years ago to try (unsuccessfully) to simplify my life. I decided to shoot just 7mm. I've shot everything from javelina to bull elk with 168 gr. Berger VLDH at 2850 fps from my WSM. Just for fun, I usually hunt javelina with my 7mm TCU Contender carbine using varmit bullets. 7mm works fine for black bear and elk and smaller, but if I were hunting in grizzly country, I'd go with a .41 or better. Magnum rifles and high velocity work fine, but for normal hunting ranges, aren't necessary.

Here in NM, if I want to hunt every year, I have to hunt deer and elk with a muzzleloader, and now with no scope for my old eyes.
They did the CA no scope thing too?

NM Game & Fish claimed that the success rate for muzzleloaders was almost as high as rifle season. In the same meeting they said the deer population was increasing. They claimed to be following the science, but I'm pretty sure they're following the money. Less harvest means they can sell more tags. Meanwhile, my old eyes are struggling with a new peep sight.