One caliber, two chamberings to cover everything hunting

Going down this rabbit trail further….

The height of metric/standard confusion or at least duality (just pick a system already!) has got to be in rifle cartridges like the 6.5x284 Norma or 6.5x300 weatherby magnum. Metric and standard measurements together in one name!

I never even thought about that! That is even be worse than the vehicle lack of continuity! 😁 memtb

After my components thread and some members relaying that staying with a couple of calibers to simply component searches and purchases.

Is it plausible to choose one caliber and two or three chamberings to cover 100% of your hunting?

Full transparency, I have had several manbuns, hard to argue with cheap factory ammo, easy recoil and impressive accuracy over a broad range of factory offerings. Makes it easy for a parent to get a kiddo behind the rifle and develop some confidence.

I got curious about the 6.5 PRC, found a nice used X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed and while bedding the rifle and picatinny rail, I got to wondering about the subject of a single caliber covering all the bases.

Honestly, I could cover 95% of my hunting with a 22 Creedmoor, possibly a 223.

I got out my Gun Gack and a few other manuals and thought, the 6.5/.264 might be the perfect choice for the majority of hunters.

Some of the big 6.5 whizzums, like the 264 WM or 26 Nosler, 6.5/300 Weatherby, 6.5-280 Ackley, would offer a lot for bigger animals and then you could cover everything from varmints up to and including elk(within reason) with a Creedmoor. A Grendel would get you varmint, Prairie dogs and medium bodied Whitetail.

I said all that to ask, if you had to choose one caliber and two or three chamberings, what would you choose? What components would you choose to be able to use them in both or all three (if possible).

As much as I love my 280 Ackley, I honestly think a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 6.5-280 Ackley would cover everything I ever plan to chase.

I also know that there are plenty of y'all that use one cartridge for everything?

Have fun, but I am curious to see the selections and thought process/reasoning behind the choices.
The kicker for me is not the choice of caliber, but the range found in "100% of my hunting". For me there is just not a single caliber that I would choose for everything from prairie dogs to elk. You can suggest that a 6.5 or a .30 can do it, but it does not work for me. I do recognize that you can vary bullet weights and powder loads within a caliber or cartridge to build versatility, but I think the proposal is flawed. Theoretically, I could have shot everything with a 12 gauge shotgun, but that would not have been an optimal choice.

After my components thread and some members relaying that staying with a couple of calibers to simply component searches and purchases.

Is it plausible to choose one caliber and two or three chamberings to cover 100% of your hunting?

Full transparency, I have had several manbuns, hard to argue with cheap factory ammo, easy recoil and impressive accuracy over a broad range of factory offerings. Makes it easy for a parent to get a kiddo behind the rifle and develop some confidence.

I got curious about the 6.5 PRC, found a nice used X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed and while bedding the rifle and picatinny rail, I got to wondering about the subject of a single caliber covering all the bases.

Honestly, I could cover 95% of my hunting with a 22 Creedmoor, possibly a 223.

I got out my Gun Gack and a few other manuals and thought, the 6.5/.264 might be the perfect choice for the majority of hunters.

Some of the big 6.5 whizzums, like the 264 WM or 26 Nosler, 6.5/300 Weatherby, 6.5-280 Ackley, would offer a lot for bigger animals and then you could cover everything from varmints up to and including elk(within reason) with a Creedmoor. A Grendel would get you varmint, Prairie dogs and medium bodied Whitetail.

I said all that to ask, if you had to choose one caliber and two or three chamberings, what would you choose? What components would you choose to be able to use them in both or all three (if possible).

As much as I love my 280 Ackley, I honestly think a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 6.5-280 Ackley would cover everything I ever plan to chase.

I also know that there are plenty of y'all that use one cartridge for everything?

Have fun, but I am curious to see the selections and thought process/reasoning behind the choices.
Interesting concept, and the smaller calibers can indeed do a lot of harm to smaller animals, then comes the but? I have several different rifles, all earmarked for different types of shooting or hunting. I am a NRA as well as WIDNR Hunter Safety Instructor so several of the firearms that I own are earmarked for training, others for competition and then hunting. A 22LR is a must have. It can be used for training, plinking, hunting as well as competition. While we all have our pets, finding a single caliber that lends itself to being a one gun for everything about the only one that I can think of is the old War Horse, 30-06. Ammo is available either factory or hand loads from 110 gr to 220 gr which covers just about any type of shooting one would care to do from woodchucks (.22 used for squirrels and bunnies) on up to the dangerous bears. Yes, some of you will argue that point, and I really don't care. The lighter rounds have less recoil which makes them suitable for junior shooters. A 125 gr bullet is just as effective on deer as a 130 gr is with a .270 and it kicks a lot less, especially with hand loads. Think back many years when a 30-30 was used for hunting Griz and Kodiaks. Once again I will re-iterate the fact that it's not the size of the bullet, it's where it is placed. A heavy magnum will not kill unless it is put into the boiler room of any animal, big or small and that goes for any type of hunting. Another consideration is ammo availability. Finding ammo for a 243, 308 or 30-06 is easy. There is a proliferation of these rifles out there and ammo manufacturers make sure that there is ammo available. This is not necessarily true of any of the 6's, 7's or other pet rounds that the people here seem to like. As I remember it only a year or so ago people here were bemoaning the fact that there was no ammo for their pet rifle and even worse no reloading components so they couldn't go shooting. Keep in mind that one of the first priorities of almost all ammo and component makers is making ammo for WAR, which our politicians seem adept at keeping us fighting for some cause or another, or providing military supplies or equipment to others to fight wars (at taxpayer expense o_O ). So getting back to the one caliber/one firearm concept the 30-06 is by far the logical choice. What else do I have and use on a regular basis depending upon what I am hunting or what kind of shooting I am doing? Of course a 22LR, I have two 308's a 270 and a 30-06. Of them the 308 would be my second choice simply because it can pretty much do everything the 30-06 does maybe with the exception of the really big bears. My go to hunting rifle these days is a 270, shoots flat, hard and super sub moa out to 300 yards and probably beyond. Last time I zeroed it out at 300 the group shooting 140 gr Nosler Partitions (not even a competition bullet, but it could be) the group was 2.6 inches or .4 under moa. So there you have it, my thoughts on a one caliber/one gun idea. Finally, for those who ****ed and moaned about the lack of ammo/components during the last pandemic, have you purchases a sufficient quantity of ammo or components to take you through yet another time when things get scarce. Don't think it can happen again, how many of us ever thought it would have happened the last time. Then take a look around at our political climate as well as our mostly useless politicians and think again.

I was thinking 308 Win and 300 Win Mag,but then really 30-06 and 300 Win Mag might really be a better choice.Why?Because the 30-06 is more versatile in the types of powder that works well in this cartridge.The 308 Win,as good as it is,just runs out of case room if you use a powder that's much slower than Big Game.So really faster TAC or Varget burnrate powders give you a little more space in the cartridge case.Those powders wouldn't be a good choice in the 300 Win Mag,so you would find yourself needing to have two powders if 308 Win and 300 Win Mag were the two cartridge choices.On the other hand,with the 30-06,just about any powder you like in the 300 Win Mag will work in the 30-06.I could use one of the 4350's or Hunter powder in those two and be happy.Even Reloader 26 will work in the 30-06 and way up on the slow burnrate powder scale.You can load the 30-06 down a little and it will equal the 308 Win or just run it as it is.Use it for the lighter weight bullets and use the 300 Win Mag for the heavier weight bullets.
IMO there isn't enough difference between 30.06 and 300 Win Mag to select those two. Seems like a lot of overlap.

Enjoying reading all of the responses.

I realize I wasn't completely clear, but most understood my intention.

I have went further in my quest, especially after a few mentioned in this thread simplifying component searches or purchases, specifically with the .264 offerings. I started looking at powder and primers. Looking at various online data and data shared here and elsewhere by members.

You could load the 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC with the same powder, primer and mid-weight bullet choices. If a hunter had a limited budget and wanted to maximize their arsenal, these would be a great choice. The 7mm-08 and 280 Ackley would be another great option, there is some overlap in powder and primers between the two, nothing like the two 6.5 choices previously mentioned.

I don't know that anything could replace my APR 280 Ackley and when I had my first 2 custom rifles built, the 280 Ackley and a 7mm-08, this scenario was exactly what I had in mind.

This question only works if one is staying out of Africa, but if including Africa then Sure....50bmg and 50 S&W......that should cover it ALL! But why 2? What's wrong with one only for North America if trying to keep it easier....why would I need a .308 if I have a .300 mag anything...( wsm, win, Weatherby, Rum, etc) .? Load it light...load it heavy...as the game requires....1 primer, 1 case, 1 powder.......

Enjoying reading all of the responses.

I realize I wasn't completely clear, but most understood my intention.

I have went further in my quest, especially after a few mentioned in this thread simplifying component searches or purchases, specifically with the .264 offerings. I started looking at powder and primers. Looking at various online data and data shared here and elsewhere by members.

You could load the 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC with the same powder, primer and mid-weight bullet choices. If a hunter had a limited budget and wanted to maximize their arsenal, these would be a great choice. The 7mm-08 and 280 Ackley would be another great option, there is some overlap in powder and primers between the two, nothing like the two 6.5 choices previously mentioned.

I don't know that anything could replace my APR 280 Ackley and when I had my first 2 custom rifles built, the 280 Ackley and a 7mm-08, this scenario was exactly what I had in mind.
I considered the 7mm-08 and the 280 AI, but there's only about 300-350 fps between the two. I chose the 7mm RM on the high side, for the ease of factory ammo. But for the max spread, we could go with the 28 Nosler on the high side. Fun problem.