Buddy wants one rifle for everything...?

IME, you are going to be really hard pressed to find a scope worth a **** and precise enough to reliably dial out to 1200 for $500 or so other than the SWFA. I've had at least a few of the other scopes mentioned in this thread, and they are not in the same league for ruggedness and reliable dialing as the SWFA products. Some work ok for a time or a couple hundred shots, but strap them to a magnum and fire a few hundred, and a lot of scopes go wonky. Sometimes they develop wandering zero or your rig has "flyers" here and there and a lot of shooters don't even realize that their scope is actually not working as it should.

Be careful about buying a more value oriented scope based on view or "glass quality". Scopes are for getting bullets to land where they're supposed to, not glassing; yet in every scope thread out there someone has to comment about how a certain scope is better than another because of the view.
Go Arken optics. Easily the best deal, or a vortex strike eagle. Shot around for a tikka.

There is a theory that I use myself. It's my own. I use 1 power for every 100 yards. I turn it up sometimes, but very seldom. I have a 3-18x50 Vortex Razor on my custom 260 Rem. I've hit targets out to 2300 yards with it. I turn the power up so I can see the mirage, but when I shoot I turn it down. It's just a theory I use when people ask me what power scope they need to shoot at certain distance. I think I was on 12 power when I hit my target at 2300 yards. I never needed anything more than a max 18 power. I could probably say even 12 power would be a good max power.

1x per is probably a good rule of thumb. It's why I think a 6x is such a good fit for most realistic shots at big game. If you can't see a big game animal well enough to shoot at it at 6x, it might be too far.

One of my favorite scopes is the Bushnell LRHS 3-12. I also have it in 4.5-18, but I prefer the 3-12's. They've been really solid dialers for me and I really like the reticle for all around big game hunting.

A suggestion is if you get a fixed 10x42 or the 12x42 SWFA scope they are on sale right now for $240. I have the 10x42M $400. Put you a red dot Optic w/a 45degree angle on it for close range and moving targets. That will free up $1000 plus for a rifle and your rings/rail. this set up is more useful than you think. People think red dots are only for AR rifles Or pistols. I have red dots on most of my long range rifles because I hunt with them. Zero your red dot at 50 yards. You never know when something comes up close and makes your scope useless. Hope this helps.

1x per is probably a good rule of thumb. It's why I think a 6x is such a good fit for most realistic shots at big game. If you can't see a big game animal well enough to shoot at it at 6x, it might be too far.

One of my favorite scopes is the Bushnell LRHS 3-12. I also have it in 4.5-18, but I prefer the 3-12's. They've been really solid dialers for me and I really like the reticle for all around big game hunting.
Yes absolutely. That's a good scope. Special for the money.

Already mentioned but hard to beat a 300 win mag. Used to be pretty easy to source ammo at most big box stores which is a plus. Even thought you said you would reload, it's nice…in normal times, if those ever come back…to pick something off the shelf when your in need

IF hunting in California, that is the only bullet that is legal.

For the guys that are recommending the .308, what recipe are you using that will keep the bullet supersonic at 1,200 yards??
If you're running a 168 TMK or berger hybrid at 2800 it's just going transonic at 1200 yards at sea level. With a 26" barrel that should be pretty easy. Lots of low form factor bullets are available in 30 cal now. 308 will never be a legit laser at 1200 but it can definitely put in work at that distance.

IME, you are going to be really hard pressed to find a scope worth a **** and precise enough to reliably dial out to 1200 for $500 or so other than the SWFA. I've had at least a few of the other scopes mentioned in this thread, and they are not in the same league for ruggedness and reliable dialing as the SWFA products. Some work ok for a time or a couple hundred shots, but strap them to a magnum and fire a few hundred, and a lot of scopes go wonky. Sometimes they develop wandering zero or your rig has "flyers" here and there and a lot of shooters don't even realize that their scope is actually not working as it should.

Be careful about buying a more value oriented scope based on view or "glass quality". Scopes are for getting bullets to land where they're supposed to, not glassing; yet in every scope thread out there someone has to comment about how a certain scope is better than another because of the view.
Yes it's all about tracking On a scope. If it don't track right than It's just waisted money.

I love these threads. They offer next to no value. I want one gun to do everything, and hit dead center of anything I shoot at.... light, but stable...powerful, but no recoil...cheap, but more accurate than a custom...clear glass to see for miles, but not more than $100....oh, and it needs to birth its own ammo nowadays. So, do I need to by a Bergara in 270WSM?

1) All ungulates to 400 yds (deer mostly, but elk, moose, etc will almost certainly be tackled occasionally).

2) Steel and paper to 800 plus (occasionally out to 1200 just for giggles on big targets).

3) $1500 for scope and rifle.

4) Factory rifle most likely (see #3).

5) I'll load for him, perhaps indefinitely, but reasonably common factory ammo is a must.

6) He only hunts with lead free. So it needs to have a good factory option in copper (see #5). He's cool with slinging lead at paper/steel, but verboten on animals.

7) He can handle recoil, but I'd like to steer him towards "a bit more than minimum" that will get the job done, so a factory rifle with a brake is a high priority, but not a deal breaker.

So...

Rifle?

Scope?

Cartridge?

I have my own opinions, but would love to hear from the peanut gallery. Just stay in the lane. None of the above 7 points can be violated and keep him happy. He's not a high volume shooter, but I'd like to push him that direction, so keep economy in mind too.
Well he is pretty demanding and despite my recommendations here, one rifle fits all is pretty much a pipe dream.
1. I approve of the range limitations he has placed on this rifle for hunting.
2. Steel and paper are very possible with the rifle/scope that I am going to recommend.
3. Tikka T3x in 300 Win Mag with either a Vortex Diamondback Tactical or Viper 6 x 24 x 50
4. Tikka T3X 300 Win Mag with Muzzle Brake
5. .30 caliber hunting copper as well as target bullets are available from many manufacturers. For factory I use Federal Premium and Sig Sauer Elite in either 165 gr for deer and 180 gr for elk and moose.
6. See ammo comments above.
7. The Tikka T3X in 300 WM with a muzzle brake has about the recoil of a 243 to 308 depending on the brake. Mild enough that my Cousin who is only 5' 4" and 130 pounds can easily handle the recoil.

All of the items listed above are readily available from Sheels or Cabelas. There are many other retailers but beware of online from unknowns. Both Sheels and Cabelas are known to have very competitive pricing on firearms and scopes. Staying within the $1500 price range should not be difficult. I use Barnes TSX 165gr in my 300WM which now shoots 3 shot groups at 0.4 to 0.6 MOA with ease.

Good Luck!! :cool:

I love these threads. They offer next to no value. I want one gun to do everything, and hit dead center of anything I shoot at.... light, but stable...powerful, but no recoil...cheap, but more accurate than a custom...clear glass to see for miles, but not more than $100....oh, and it needs to birth its own ammo nowadays. So, do I need to by a Bergara in 270WSM?
I don't think a $1500 rig that comports with the OP's requirements is all that difficult. There's even a few different ways to skin that cat.

They offer next to no value simply because you have nothing to offer. No, nothing in this world is perfect but if one looks around there are rifle/scope combinations that will get very close to his requirements. It takes shopping not scoffing at the desires of others.
They are asking for help, be a help, not a hindrance! Quit making derogatory comments that just waste everyone's time. ☹️

Maybe the best thing to do, is to see what's available periodically in local shops and get that caliber, or whatever for which you have dies. Example: I haven't seen 300WM or 7RM for almost two years here, and when they show up, they are gone in minutes to hours, not days to weeks, because that is what most guys shoot here in my vicinity. But on the flip side various 6mm and 6.5 are available intermittently. So I picked up a 6mmCM to practice with and have found that to be quite enjoyable to shoot and reasonable to feed with factory ammo.