Buddy wants one rifle for everything...?

Id probably say 6.5 prc. That's a pretty tall order to fill with just one cartridge and still have economy in mind. I'd look into a tikka t3x for a rifle. Then whatever scope he likes to top it off with in his budget.
7mm mag or 280 AI. I prefer the AI. Like Creedmoor shooter said a 6.5 PRC would be good as well.
Savage with the accufit or Tikka would be my choice for the rifle I lean Savage.
Scope if there is money left a Vx-5HD or a Zeiss V4 conquest if you can find a deal.
☝🏼Great stuff here.☝🏼

The tikka t3x is the best in his budget, but really glass options with what is left are slim to none for quality glass—unless he finds some good used.

Best bet to get the best bang for his buck is: See if he can increase his budget just a bit; then he could get a switch barrel rifle. Seekins is coming out with their new HIT rifle that is a switch barrel/bolt. It's a Quality factory rifle with options for caliber that will feel the same no matter what he is shooting. Save up to top it with a quality scope and then buy barrels as budget allows. Win, win, win.

Last edited:
300wsm or 7sum . You said you have time to shop, so sit on one of those and jump when the deal comes . Tikka, savage of some sort, rem 700 synthetic in one if those limited run deals they surely have done in both calibers. Go to Stockys and find a good stock . Athlon makes some solid scopes in the below 500 range.

I would lean towards a plain old 30-06. Ammo and components speak for themselves. Plenty for killing our further than stated.
Scour the classifieds for glass as mentioned. Maybe a VX3-LR or a Vortex in the HST line.

although as mentioned just scour classifieds.

Tikka in .284 or .308 caliber in however much recoil you care to handle for the cartridge. Given your anticipated yardages I'm assuming some dialing, so for reliability and value sake I'd go 6x or 3-9 SWFA. Use a set of Sportsmatch rings and you'll be below budget on a rig that can keep pace with set ups costing multitudes more. This is often refered to as the "Rockslide special" due to a prominent poster's championing of it.

Kinda to see for myself how good of a set up you could get for around 1k, I set up such a rig a few years ago, and I can report that though I have rigs that cost significantly more, none beat the Tikka/Sportsmatch/SWFA combination for accuracy and overall ruggedness.

Tikka twist rates sometimes leave something to be desired, but with the money you save getting into one, you can buy more ammo, shot the barrel out, and then have it chambered/throated/twisted exactly how you want.

If you're interested in empirical data to substantiate just how good the Tikka is, search for the Canadian Ranger rifle tests. Cliff's notes version is that they tested about every bolt action available and kept track of ruggedness and accuracy. Thousands and thousands of round, worst conditions they could come up with. Goes far beyond the anecdotal type of responses most give as to why they like a certain action over another.

Last edited:
My two cents, Bergara HMR in 300 win mag or .308, about $949.00, Vortex, Vortex Optics Venon FFP, 34 mm Tube 5-25 x 56mm rev zero stop $499.00 at midwayusa. Will still need rings/mounts and muzzle brake, sling. HMR=Hunting and Match Rifle. But a nice setup, with a few more caliber options, I have the HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor a very nice shooting rifle.
[h1][/h1]

Because you mentioned Moose to 400 yards, 1200 yard steel, and factory ammo, that to me, as others have already stated, says 300 WM is the minimum. It can be done with a 308 or 30/06 but the 300 allows for ammo to be loaded up and down accordingly. He can handle a little recoil but once you go up from the 300 WM it goes up considerably. I think the 308 is a great caliber to learn on and become proficient with and more than adequate for bear country but if Moose are on the table beyond a few hundred yards it is insufficient imho.

As for those mentioning the 6.5 and 7mm, I love both calibers and for 1200 yard steal just about anything in those calibers will do the job. Europeans have been killing everything on the planet with them with them for 100 years. I have personally witnessed two Moose (Norwegian elk, which are smaller than their North American counter part) killed with the 6.5x55, but both shots were inside 100 yards and shots on larger game are usually head shots. If Moose are on the table beyond a few hundred yards, which is a discussion for another thread, the 300 WM is just a better choice and about perfect for your requirements. I personally do 90% of my hunting with a 270 win. but when in big bear country I opt for at least a 30 cal option. Caliber: 300 WM It's essentially an AI 300 H&H and its been getting the job done for over 50 years, use enough gun.

As for the gun you should be able to find plenty of used options in a Tikka, Sako A7 or TRG-S or Weatherby Mark V Fibermark or synthetic for around the $750 mark or less. You might even find a new Tikka TX3 which has a huge amount of aftermarket support.

Scopes: Look for a used VX3 or Mark 4 3.5-10x40/50 with a mil dot. $499 est. and up…

New Scopes: These are recommended because you are looking at shooting 1200 yard steel. Listed most expensive to least and best for application to good.

Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 CDS HTMR $1099.99
Athlon Midas Tac 5-25x56 APRS6 $850.00
Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 or 4-12 TMR w/ Firedot $700
Leupold VX Freedom TMR $499
Athlon Argos BTR Gen 2 $350.00
(All of these maybe less if you find them on sale.)

Rings: Hawkins Percision Ultra Light Tac with bubble level $120-160

This is a Sako A7 Roughtech Range in 300 WM with an Athlon Midas Tac 5-25 and the Atlas works upgraded bolt handle and bolt shroud. Upgraded bottom Metal on the way $169. It has an APA LB gen2 break on it. Literally, shoots like a 223. Gun $1100, Scope $799, Rings $120, Atlasworks upgraded $120, break $120 Bipod Harris $100. Rear pad $30. Shoots sub 1/2 moa. You should be able to find a used gun or even a discounted new one for around the $850 mark.
CDF57500-261F-4684-8B22-786B7D8E7C84.jpeg

Last edited:
6.8 Western could do it all but only Browning and Winchester are chambering it. The Browning is $1000+ and from what I've read the xpr isnt the most accurate rifle ever made. So he might run out of money to stay at $1500. But caliber wise for anyone thinking 6.5 PRC the 6.8 Western can do it all...and do it better. 6.5 bullet weights are just too light for this discussion.

1) All ungulates to 400 yds (deer mostly, but elk, moose, etc will almost certainly be tackled occasionally).

2) Steel and paper to 800 plus (occasionally out to 1200 just for giggles on big targets).

3) $1500 for scope and rifle.

4) Factory rifle most likely (see #3).

5) I'll load for him, perhaps indefinitely, but reasonably common factory ammo is a must.

6) He only hunts with lead free. So it needs to have a good factory option in copper (see #5). He's cool with slinging lead at paper/steel, but verboten on animals.

7) He can handle recoil, but I'd like to steer him towards "a bit more than minimum" that will get the job done, so a factory rifle with a brake is a high priority, but not a deal breaker.

So...

Rifle?

Scope?

Cartridge?

I have my own opinions, but would love to hear from the peanut gallery. Just stay in the lane. None of the above 7 points can be violated and keep him happy. He's not a high volume shooter, but I'd like to push him that direction, so keep economy in mind too.
Win model 70 Tungsten in 300 wsm with the new Razor HD LHT ffp scope. Load 175 gr or 200 LRX. I'd say 270 wsm but 300 wsm has more lead free options. A buddy of mine just did this rifle combo but with a Mark 5.

1) All ungulates to 400 yds (deer mostly, but elk, moose, etc will almost certainly be tackled occasionally).

2) Steel and paper to 800 plus (occasionally out to 1200 just for giggles on big targets).

3) $1500 for scope and rifle.

4) Factory rifle most likely (see #3).

5) I'll load for him, perhaps indefinitely, but reasonably common factory ammo is a must.

6) He only hunts with lead free. So it needs to have a good factory option in copper (see #5). He's cool with slinging lead at paper/steel, but verboten on animals.

7) He can handle recoil, but I'd like to steer him towards "a bit more than minimum" that will get the job done, so a factory rifle with a brake is a high priority, but not a deal breaker.

So...

Rifle?

Scope?

Cartridge?

I have my own opinions, but would love to hear from the peanut gallery. Just stay in the lane. None of the above 7 points can be violated and keep him happy. He's not a high volume shooter, but I'd like to push him that direction, so keep economy in mind too.
I would go with a 7mm mag with a quality muzzle brake. Fitted with a mid range Sig Sauer scope paired with a set of Leupold bases and rings.